Sign in with
Your question

THG isn't so biased afterall

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2002 1:06:14 AM

I appologize that this isn't in the "right category", but I think that this is worth reading by any enthusiast. If anyone out there thinks that THG is biased, just check out this review at ProCooling.com (URL is at the bottom). It is a review of THE UGLIEST ALUMINUM CASE KNOWN TO MAN! Is it functional? No. It has a couple HD cages, but they're hard to get to, the front bezel is ridiculously hard to get off and is PLASTIC! It does have 7 fans (if you choose that option, otherwise 1), but they're in terrible places, and, clearly enough to anyone with any knowledge of how air should move through a case, are a waste in any fashion except cooling the hard drives, which they would - ALL 11 OF THEM!! That's right, sounds good eh? No. They're crammed into a midtower. OK, that's enough, see for yourself.

But before you do, the base model - 1 fan, room for 5 x 5 1/4, 3 x 3 1/2 (exposed), 9 x 3 1/2 (hidden), no power supply, and so many terrible things that should NEVER be missed by any serious player in "quality" cases - costs $317 US! Who in the hell are they targetting? I hope their product development/marketing department isn't well-paid. Take a look.

NOBODY in their right mind could recommend this case. I will never look for reviews at that site again. Just try to find anything that biased on THG. I want to hear if there's anyone that would consider buying this case EVEN IF they had the money to blow.

http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/soldam_mt2200__c...

She said "I love a man in tight jeans" and I said "They're not supposed to be tight I just got fat."

More about : thg biased afterall

a b à CPUs
June 13, 2002 9:22:30 AM

Nice case, I'll bid $50.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 13, 2002 4:31:35 PM

I'll give you $45.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 13, 2002 6:47:34 PM

You're a bloody bright spark...

Quote:
It is a review of THE UGLIEST ALUMINUM CASE KNOWN TO MAN!

You're a picky one, aren't you? I thought the case looked perfectly fine to me. The front panel had an artistic quality that broke away from the typical box shape of a case, and the metal LED section with the power button were a nice touch to break the beige monotony. (Which, I also happen to think that beige is a perfectly good color for a case anyway, though a little touch of brushed aluminum here and there does help liven it up.)

Quote:
Is it functional? No.

I'm curious. Do you even <i>know</i> the definition of functional? The case has <b>FIVE</b> 5.25" bays, <b>THREE external</b> 3.5" bays and room for <b>ELEVEN</b> internal 3.5" drives. That's pretty damn good for a 'mid' tower.

Plus it seems to have some real cooling from hell. Personally I don't see why anyone would really need <i>that</i> many fans, but hey. They seem to have a pretty top-notch layout for air flow, with one exception that I will cover later.

And there is that cute little panel covering front-side USB ports. Always a nice touch.

I can't imagine a much more functional case, short of a case with a built-in watercooler or refrigeration. Maybe a case with a built in battery backup and surge protection...

Quote:
It has a couple HD cages, but they're hard to get to

The front-loading 3.5" bays look pretty easy to get to to me, as does the internal cage under it. The cage between the power supply and the 5.25" bays looks pretty darn easy to pull out too. The only bay that really looks annoying is the one on the door. It looks easy enough to get to, but you'd have to keep fudging with the cables every time you want to open that door. That makes it kind of unworth using. But then, you'd only lose two of the FOURTEEN 3.5" bays if you just didn't use it.

So other than that one bay, the 3.5" bays are pretty darn easy to get to. If taking off the side panel to get to the bay is making something 'hard to get to', you must really be lazy.

Quote:
the front bezel is ridiculously hard to get off and is PLASTIC!

It would be hard to get something as geometrically artistic with aluminum, so I think they made a good choice. It's better looking than a boring aluminum front panel. The wiring though is kind of silly. They could have put a little more thought into that.

Quote:
It does have 7 fans (if you choose that option, otherwise 1), but they're in terrible places, and, clearly enough to anyone with any knowledge of how air should move through a case, are a waste in any fashion except cooling the hard drives, which they would - ALL 11 OF THEM!! That's right, sounds good eh? No. They're crammed into a midtower.

You're obviously less of an expert on air flow than you think. The fan for the hard drive bay next to the power supply obviously will be pulling air out of the case (and across the hard drives), as will the power-supply's fan and the additional rear fan. So you have damn good exhaust, and all located at the rear of the case.

Then you have the front fan, which would seem a little weak for the air intake all by itself, though it does serve to cool the hard drive bay there.

Luckily though, it <i>isn't</i> by itself. It had friends on the side also helping the air intake. Oh, and low and behold, of those two friends, the first is aimed right straight over the CPU and even has a shroud to channel the air right straight onto your CPU's heat sink! What a concept! (Or, if you're running a mobo with a strange CPU placement, such as a dualie mobo, you can take off the shroud so that the air from that fan isn't channeled into a void.) And then there's the even bigger fan aimed right straight at the expansion cards. I'm sure that the video card really loves that!

So you have an air channel moving from the side of the case straight across your expansion cards (specifically your AGP) and then right out of the back of the case (where it doesn't heat up your CPU trying to get to the power-supplie's fan). You also have an air channel moving straight through the side of the case, across your CPU's heat sink, and out through the power supply fan and the top hard drive bay's fan. In other words, nice, clean, fresh air specifically for your CPU.

Here comes that exception that I mentioned earlier: The <i>only</i> fans in terrible places are the hard drive bay fans on that side door. They <i>would</i> screw around with air flow <i>if</i> you were to use them. But then, as I've already said, actually putting a whole whopping two hard drives into that bay is hardly worth it anyway, so if you don't use those bays, you don't need to use the fans for them either.

I do have to wonder if the fan in front of the top hard drive bay is a good idea or not. With it sucking air out of the case instead of blowing air into the case, that means that any air passing those hard drives is exhaust, which isn't exceptionally useful for cooling. But then, without any fan heat would probably get trapped in there in a pretty nasty heat pocket. So the fan there is probably more to negate that heat pocket and make that area usable for a hard drive bay than it is to actually cool some hot-running hard drives.

The only thing truely bad about that case is that hard drive bay on the door. It would have been better had that bay (only offering two hard additional drives anyway) and its two little fans been left off entirely. If they had left that bay off, they could have increased the vent size of the two side vents to put in another two fans. (Specifically, one fan aimed right straight at the memory sticks with a shroud like there is for the CPU would be nice.) I'd have much rather seen that than space for a whole two extra hard drives in a case that can already hold twelve other hard drives or other 3.5" devices.

I would also have enjoyed seeing a second fan on the front. There should be room enough to mount two fans side-by-side instead of one fan centered. That would have helped the air flow from the front out. (Not that the case really even needs air flow from the front though. It just would have been nice to see.)

All in all, it looks to be a damn good case to me. There is still room for improvement, but then when isn't that true of anything? I don't know if I'd ever pay that much for a case, but then I also don't think I would ever need <i>that</i> much air flow in a case either. You could most definately mount some serious hard drive space into that puppy though. It's the biggest damn 'mid' tower that I've ever seen, and almost none of that space inside goes unused. (Maybe to a fault though, with those two door-mounted hard drive slots.)

So kelemvor, I don't know what your major malfunction is, but that case sure looks worth its price to me. And I sure as hell don't see what that case review has to do with THG being biased or not. Maybe you just don't know the definition of 'biased' any more than you know the definition of 'functional'?

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
June 13, 2002 9:23:25 PM

Let's see. Functional - designed or developed chiefly from the point of view of use. Hmmm, let me think. A front bezel that's a pain in the @$$ to get off; a hard drive cage that doesn't supply good airflow in a place that is terribly inconvenient for anyone trying to get inside of the case; another hard drive cage that, without the $150 upgrade, by your own admission would only heat the drives in the worst place in the case; add that to the fact that with only one exhaust fan and 0 intake, there's almost no air coming into the case; and finally, imagine the cabling that would have to be stuffed inside a mid-tower in order to actually run the 9 hard drives, 5 x 5 1/4 drives, and 3 x 3 1/2 drives, and you have a case that was designed with NO usage POV taken into account.

There is a reason that other midtowers don't go for this many drive bays: THEY DON'T FIT INTO THE FREAKING CASE! The only arguement you could make for this case is that it is for those users who have a ridiculous amount of hard drives, 5 1/4 inch drives, and a few 3 1/2 inch drives. But just because there's a few people dumb enough to have that many drives, that doesn't mean that a reviewer should say that "for those people, this would be a great case" (though that's not a direct quote, that's the gist of what the review says). What the reviewer should say is that anyone with this many drives should buy a full tower case and save the money for a new desk (if that's the reason you're trying to shove that many drives into that small of a case). There would still be money left over, but you can buy whatever you want with that.

Now let's imagine what would happen if you were the moronic user, and you just bought this case because you had a lot of money and 9 hard drives. You get the $310 version and stick 4 heat producing hard drives in the top, right where all of the rest of the case's heat builds up. What does he win, Bob? 4 dead hard drives! Hard drives aren't meant to handle the kind of heat that that setup would produce (DUH!). IBM's new specs - which everyone thought was their implicit way to explain their overly defective hard drives - was actually confirmed by other manufacturers. Hard drives aren't meant to take the kind of abuse that constant use or high temps would cause.

As you stated, with the two side fans running, there would be some strange airflow in the case, which is what I was referring to. All in all, this case is an attempt at making a high-end case gone terribly wrong. I'm not saying that there are no good points to this case, however, I wouldn't buy this case (and would hope that no one else would) for anything more than $100, IF the fans are included. These people obviously don't know how a user with that many hard drives would use a case (thus, front bezel and side HD cage design), what would happen with that many wires inside a small case (even rounded cables would be ridiculously hard to maneuver around in THAT setup and restrict the hell out of airflow), nor do they have any inclination of the many small nuances that make a case like a Coolermaster or a Lian-Li a quality case (thus no thumbscrews and only 3 mounting panels for (5) 5 1/4" drives). If they dropped the price to $150, put two fans up front, one up top, one in back, used thumbscrews, fixed the front bezel and made it easier to take off, got rid of any idea of adding two extra drives to the side panel, and made sure to include the motherboard tray, I would definitely consider this case a worthy contender in that class. But these things are SO important to the makeup of a good case that there is NO WAY you could justify paying $310 - and surely not $460 - for this case.

Biased? Whoever the hell reviewed this case was clearly biased. Unless, of course, they're a complete idiot, or just a really bad reviewer. THG gets people that say that, because a review seems slightly off, THG is biased. If that is their basis for bias, then yes, this does constitute a bias award. I'd be willing to bet what that friggin' case costs that the man was paid off.

She said "I love a man in tight jeans" and I said "They're not supposed to be tight I just got fat."
June 14, 2002 1:22:58 AM

1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. I declare a post war

June 14, 2002 5:39:20 PM

Or not

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 14, 2002 8:57:35 PM

Quote:
A front bezel that's a pain in the @$$ to get off

One actually annoying flaw. How many times do you take off yours off though?

Quote:
a hard drive cage that doesn't supply good airflow in a place that is terribly inconvenient for anyone trying to get inside of the case

And, as said, only holds TWO of the fourteen 3.5" slots. So big whoop. Just don't use that one hard drive cage. And while you're at not using it, also don't connect the two fans mounted there for it.

Quote:
a hard drive cage that doesn't supply good airflow in a place that is terribly inconvenient for anyone trying to get inside of the case; another hard drive cage that, without the $150 upgrade, by your own admission would only heat the drives in the worst place in the case

Doesn't supply good air flow <i>if</i> you don't put a fan in the slot there. Just buy a case fan for five bucks and solve the problem yourself <i>without</i> the $150 upgrade. Ooh. How hard.

Quote:
add that to the fact that with only one exhaust fan and 0 intake, there's almost no air coming into the case

You've just described <i>every</i> basic case in existence. Congrats.

Quote:
and finally, imagine the cabling that would have to be stuffed inside a mid-tower in order to actually run the 9 hard drives, 5 x 5 1/4 drives, and 3 x 3 1/2 drives

Not only do they make round IDE cables these days, but even with flat IDE cables I've seen more than that in a case at one time without restricting air flow at all. How you ask? Why, just tie the cables! Oooh. Talk about difficult.

Quote:
What the reviewer should say is that anyone with this many drives should buy a full tower case

The thing is only a hair short of being a full tower case. It's the biggest 'mid' tower case I've ever seen.

Quote:
Now let's imagine what would happen if you were the moronic user

If you're a moronic user spending that much on a case and you don't know how to use it, you deserve whatever happens. That's hardly the case manu's fault.

But that's the heart of the matter, isn't it? <i>You're</i> too moronic to know how to set up that case properly, and so instead of letting that poor site exist unmolested, you have to take out the frustration created by your own inadiquacy on that review.

Quote:
Whoever the hell reviewed this case was clearly biased.

Perhaps it is just you... <b>I</b> don't see any statements in that review that could even be construed as biased. It's a good review, detailing both positive and negative aspects of the case. Who could ask for more from a review? Again, it makes me wonder if you even know what the word biased means...

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
!