Need Upgrading suggestions.

This is my current system:
- Athlon XP 1700+ (not overclocked)
- 256MB PC2100 Mushkin Memory
- Soyo Dragon Plus (Running at 133Mhz FSB)
- ATi Radeon 32mb SDR AGP
- Western Digital Caviar 60GB 5400rpm ATA/100
- Dragon Plus Integrated Sound

I would like to know what things I would get a big performance increase by upgrading.

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.
5 answers Last reply
More about need upgrading suggestions
  1. - overclocking Athlon XP 1700+ to round 1900+
    - overclocking cpu/memory FSB
    - overclocking 256MB PC2100 Mushkin Memory
    - overclocking ATi Radeon 32mb SDR AGP gpu+memory
    - upgrading Western Digital Caviar 60GB 5400rpm ATA/100 to a 7200RPM hard disk.
  2. - overclocking Athlon XP 1700+ to round 1900+
    - overclocking cpu/memory FSB
    - overclocking 256MB PC2100 Mushkin Memory
    - overclocking ATi Radeon 32mb SDR AGP gpu+memory
    - upgrading Western Digital Caviar 60GB 5400rpm ATA/100 to a 7200RPM hard disk.
  3. Ditch the Radeon SDR card, it was crap from the day it was made. In fact it was easily waisted by a $40 Radeon LE, which was a DDR card.

If you want a good inexpensive performer, you can get a Radeon 8500 cheap now.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  4. To sum up:

- buy a better graphic card, now is your bottleneck in games (Do you play with yous computer? Then higly recomended)
    - buy a HD, specially if you do hard working with it. Personally I use my comp just for games, internet and Office and I have a 5400 rpm. Works well enough, it produces less heat and more silent.

The rest of the components are ok. Just overclock if you want some more power. Increasing FSB will increase overall performance, but also stress all components. Lock if you can your AGP/PCI bus, but I think as long as you don't overclock agresively there is no problem. You can also unlock your CPU, but this is a little bit more complicate. Just read THG article about it.

Good luck!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
  5. not terribly much

the cpu is fine
    the ram is fine, alltough 512mb may be an option if you find windows doing alot of drive swapping

get rid of that SDR graphics card... bad for games.

and what are u doing with a 5400rpm hard drive?
    7200 is MUCH better.

and integrated sound... hmmm... depends on the quality of the built in sound chip

<font color=purple>All advice I offer has been
    Audited by Arthur Anderson.</font color=purple>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows XP