Stupid computer

PaulSnitser

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
Hi all!
I just bought this system from my local computer shop, but I´m having troubles
with it.

The problem is this:
When I push the start button it takes around 20-30 seconds maybe before all the white text
on the black background shows up.
In the corner there are some numbers that are counting up to 8192 then they
start all over again from 0. It does this 3 times before windows start loading.
(Is this normal by the way?, should it not go faster?...I even tried pushing the button
marked "turbo", but it´s no difference)

Anyways, the Win95 logo appears and after 1-2 minutes my the desktop is visible.
Now to the weird stuff...I borrowed Halflife from a friend of mine and I went home
to install it...but it wont work!!!
It says something about 4mb video memory, what does that mean?, It should work!
I have 8mb memory so that can´t be the problem, could it?

Please help me!!!

Paul Snitser AKA HyperLaserRazorBlade

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok were to start. 8192 is good bet it is testing the memory on boot up. This can be turned off in the bios.

Half-life not work sounds like you got very low end out dated, vid card. So you vid card my not be compatible.

Your, also running windows 95? You must have very old pc and I hope you did not pay more than $50 for it. Here at work we are grieving pc's with 64 ram 200 pents away for free.

Jeff

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Are you actually being serious or is this a joke?

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

G

yes it is usual. it is a post test makes by your computer during the starting. the bios tests with 3 passes your memory but you can disable that if you wish modifying the bios setting.

Now Halflife is going to require at least a Gforce2 16 or 32Mb level AGP card but you may not even have an AGP slot on that older motherboard which would limit you to a PCI Video card if hopefully you,ve got PCI slots on the motherboard. For gaming you're also going to need an EAX capable sound card. Windows 95 is going to limit your hardrive size if you decide to go with a larger hardrive later to 8Gb size even if you purchase something like a 20Gb later, unless you partition the drive and chop it up. You may want to consider moving up to Win98SE operating system you can get a full install from www.directdeals.com for around the $80 dollar US range, Win98SE will support gaming a lot better than Win95.

Garasaki

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Ok, so unless I'm missing something, you have 8 megs of system ram.

Who knows what kind of outdated video card you have...

I just don't think counter strike is gonna run on your computer my friend

PaulSnitser

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
How do I turn off the memory?, bios?

I paid $200 for this system, the guy who sold it said it was old but that it still is able to keep up with the modern computers when it comes to gaming and internet.

I don´t want to pay $1000 for a new computer.

PaulSnitser

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
Lets make some things clear, I bought this computer and I´m not intending to buy "more stuff" for it.

I know what PCI and AGP is but I´m a little confused about the difference.
I don´t know what sort of graphicscard I have, but he (the salesman) said it is a 3D Accelerator card and that it can play new games.
EAX, I have no clue what that is, just give me some sound and I´m happy.

Thanks.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
You got screwed if you payed $200 for it. You got took unless your monitor is worth $180.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It looks like the saleman wanted to get rid of that pc that been sitting around. Sorry, that pc most likely will not keep up with games but the internet should be ok.

Jeff

FatBurger

Illustrious
the guy who sold it said it was old but that it still is able to keep up with the modern computers when it comes to gaming and internet.

Let me ask you this - if computers that are 6 years old are just as good as the ones now, why isn't everyone still using their computers from 6 years ago?

Take the computer back, you were lied to by the salesman. If I lived close to you I'd be happy to go with you and talk to the guy, if there's anyone else you know who knows more about computers, have them go with you.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The problem is this:
When I push the start button it takes around 20-30 seconds maybe before all the white text
on the black background shows up.
In the corner there are some numbers that are counting up to 8192 then they
start all over again from 0. It does this 3 times before windows start loading.
(Is this normal by the way?, should it not go faster?...I even tried pushing the button
marked "turbo", but it´s no difference)

Anyways, the Win95 logo appears and after 1-2 minutes my the desktop is visible.
Now to the weird stuff...I borrowed Halflife from a friend of mine and I went home
to install it...but it wont work!!!
It says something about 4mb video memory, what does that mean?, It should work!
I have 8mb memory so that can´t be the problem, could it?
your "new" computer is a very old most likely pentium90-133 w/1-2mb of video ram, slow 800MB harddisk, 4 isa, 1 pci, no agp, 2 sticks of 4MB ram. this is not even worth $50 incl the monitor.

my advice is to get your money back, because with $250 - $300 you can get a nice P3 or Athlon system which will play half-life on the internet at a decent level.

ps, the salesman has successfully swindled you.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
If you're kidding, you're doing great because even I'm starting to buy it. If you're not...well...Dude, I feel for you. That is total bullshit. Where do you live, what store, and when did you buy it? Get your money back, I'll even help you price a sweet system with a tight budget. That things not just old, its ancient. Even if you got Half-Life to run it would look like 1/16th Life. I just gave away a P2 200 (which was the shizznit in like, 97?) and was glad someone would even want it! Bottom line, get pissed and get your money back.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is it a 486 or a 386? Sounds like probably a 486, given the amount of time it takes to do things, probably 25MHz or 33MHz. 8MB of RAM. Probably 512k to 1MB of video. That thing that repeats twice is the ram count. 3 years ago I was selling these machines for $50 as internet terminals (after installing new modems). 2 years ago I started scrapping them for soundcards and CD roms. 2 days ago I picked one up that was laying outside my dealers shop because I liked the case, found out the CD-Rom was too old to read CDR media (even though it was years newer than the system). Also kept a 16MB SIMM ($4 street value). You don't even have that much to work with.

I'll send you a free Pentium computer if you pay shipping. You'll have to add the modem, soundcard, and drives yourself.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Garasaki

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
I'll sell ya my PII 350 w/160 megs of ram and a nice 32mg AGP graphics card for 200 if you pay the shipping. Plays Quake 3 just fine. Never tried half life though...but I'm sure it'd do aight!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
im afraid you got ripped off.
you will be able to write documents, surf the net (slowly) but forget about playing any games with that, unless its tetris or solitare.

<font color=purple>All advice I offer has been
Audited by Arthur Anderson.</font color=purple>