Added 256M Ram, see no difference.

Hello,

I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came with only
256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.

But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see a
huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.

Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use only a
few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon & qtime. That
is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.

TIA

Doc
10 answers Last reply
More about added 256m difference

    512MB is a good idea for your machine, but depending on how many apps you
    have open at once, and depending on how resource-intensive those apps are,
    you may not really see a performance boost. Like Photoshop, Microsoft
    Access, etc.

    The real boost for XP users is beyond 128MB.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++

    "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came with
    > only
    > 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >
    > But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see a
    > huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use only
    > few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon & qtime. That
    > is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doc

    "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came with
    > only
    > 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >
    > But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see a
    > huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use only
    > few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon & qtime. That
    > is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doc

    Keep it. You'll need it for WinXP SP3.

    Stew

    before you added the RAM, did you look in the task manager to see how much
    was being used?
    In normal applications, I see no difference going above 256. When using
    specialty apps like Photoshop or CAD programs, the extra memory is like
    night and day!
    Jerry

    "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came with
    only
    > 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >
    > But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see a
    > huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use only
    > few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon & qtime. That
    > is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doc

    "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote:
    >[added] 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >
    >But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see a
    >huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.

    Well, you were told correctly. 8*) Try this:

    Start
    Run
    perfmon.msc
    right-click on window
    add counters
    performance Object: Memory
    Available MBytes
    Add

    See what you have free, and see how low it gets as you run various
    programs. If it never drops below 256M free, then you aren't using
    any of this new memory.

    Thankx for that info. I tried what you had said. I am kind of lost in there.
    I see 2 blue lines on the graph, after I added. Not sure which is which.
    When I open IExplorer, the one line was straight at the top of the graph,
    the other at the bottom with tiny spikes.

    Well, I will try & see what happens. I did take the memory out, & see no
    diff at all, from the last 2 days.

    Thank you.
    PS...where can i get more info on the little program, what is it called?

    Doc
    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote:
    > >[added] 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    > >
    > >But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see
    > >huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >
    > Well, you were told correctly. 8*) Try this:
    >
    > Start
    > Run
    > perfmon.msc
    > right-click on window
    > add counters
    > performance Object: Memory
    > Available MBytes
    > Add
    >
    > See what you have free, and see how low it gets as you run various
    > programs. If it never drops below 256M free, then you aren't using
    > any of this new memory.

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:04:50 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Doc"
    <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote:

    >I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came with only
    >256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >
    >But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would see a
    >huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >
    >Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use only a
    >few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon & qtime. That
    >is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.

    What, if any, difference added RAM will make really depends on what sort of
    files and programs you work with, and on how many of them you work with at
    once.

    Even if you don't load enough large programs or files at once for the extra
    memory to make a noticeable difference, the extra space for a disk cache may
    still be doing you some good.

    For example: I have 1.5 Gigs of memory, and if I close a file or program
    down, then come back to it several hours later, it will usually pop up
    instantly without any delay for disk access: the file or program was stored
    in the disk cache in memory, so it didn't have to be reloaded from the hard
    drive. If I'm opening and closing a lot of programs or files, this can make
    a noticeable difference.

    The larger disk cache also helps with large games or other programs that
    frequently load and reload data from the hard drive: with plenty of memory,
    the data can be cached in memory instead of having to be reloaded from
    memory every time it's needed again.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote:
    >I see 2 blue lines on the graph, after I added. Not sure which is which.
    >When I open IExplorer, the one line was straight at the top of the graph,
    >the other at the bottom with tiny spikes.

    Oh, yeah, the top line is free memory, but it's on a scale of 0-100,
    so you'll want to play with the scale so you can see it. Highlight
    the appropriate line in the bottom window to get current/min/max/avg
    values

    >PS...where can i get more info on the little program, what is it called?

    Google is your friend, perfmon.msc is a management console snap-in.

    "Doc" <Doc@nospam/nospamnet.net> wrote:
    >These results are just withe the pc on , not openeing any programs, only
    >connected on the cable.
    >Any interpretations appreciated. It seems i need the extra 256.

    Not for turning the computer on, without any programs open. Now try
    it with your normal suite of programs open, then with your maximum
    memory hogs (photo editing, IE, etc).

    I have a similar machine and noticed no difference after I added 256
    MB, except that their is more free memory.

    > Docwrote:
    Hello,

    > I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came
    with only
    > 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >
    > But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would
    see a
    > huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use
    only a
    > few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon &
    qtime. That
    > is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doc

    I have an Inspiron 8200 with a GIG of ram, and Norton system works tells me
    that I'm currently using 357.5 megs with a 50 meg swap (or "page") file.
    I'd say you're using over 256 megs, easily, but not ALL of your 512 megs.
    If you get into video editing and music editing, that extra ram will come in
    handy.

    Also, you can delete your printer icon and qtime from your startup.

    Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
    for rates and online chat

    - MONEY TALKS... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

    "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have a similar machine and noticed no difference after I added 256
    > MB, except that their is more free memory.
    >
    >> Docwrote:
    > Hello,
    >>
    >> I added 256 Ram to a Dell 4600 XP Home 2.66ghz machine, that came
    > with only
    >> 256megs of RAM. So that means I now have 512.
    >>
    >> But, I see no difference at all, absolutely NONE! I was told I would
    > see a
    >> huge difference & I was also told I would see no difference.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this, I do have a lot of programs installed, but use
    > only a
    >> few. Startup is minimal with Norton, Zonealarm, printer icon &
    > qtime. That
    >> is it. The machine works well. Wonder if I need this extra 256.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Doc

Dell RAM Windows XP Computers