dorkus_malorkus

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
I am looking at getting a DDR 333 system and was wondering which processor to get. I hate to bring up AMD vs Intel but I was looking at the Athlon XP 2100+ with Abit KX7333r or the P4 Northwood 2.2GHz (not sure which board). All things remaining equal the price will be relatively the same. I am leaning toward the Athlon but maybe because I have been researching it alot longer since it has been so much cheaper in the past. Are there any reasons for going with the P4 system instead with DDR 333 ram, mobo-wise or performance? I may or may not try to overclock but not a major issue. Will be a system to surf, play games, mp3 etc. I will get a PNY GeForce 4 ti 4400 and 512 of ram. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
if you're just going to surf and play games (much like i do ) then either a NW or Athlon will be fine,

I'd personally go with a P4 system, but for completeness sake i'll tell you what's best for both CPU's

I'm not sure which is the best DDR 333 chipset for P4, but i think it would be between Via's P4X333 and Intel's 845E/G...so check out mobos with these chipsets, i'd recommend Asus as a manufacturer.

I myself use a Athlon 1900+ and it works fine, the new Athlon 2200+ using the Tbred core is a slighty colder (although not much) core than Palomino, so if you decide on Athlon be sure to get a TBred. For Athlons the best DDR 333 chipset is the Via KT333 chipset, I'd recommend the Soltek 75-DRV5 or Asus A7V333 mobo's that carry this chipset.

Argentina, you are the weakest link, goodbye!