AMD 266fsb CPU in 200fsb mobo?

Jun 7, 2002
I have an Abit KT-7 Raid motherboard and my 1.2Ghz AMD TBird chip died on me a few days ago. Im not ready to upgrade my motherboard, ram, and CPU yet, so I just want to replace the CPU with the highest my motherboard will allow. It appears that the AMD TBird tops off at 1.4GHz, but theres two different kinds; one with 266fsb, and one with 200fsb. I have the VIA636 chipset so I know my mobo is on a 200fsb. But when shopping for the 1.4Ghz Tbird w/ 200fsb, I noticed that the 266fsb is cheaper. Is it possible that I could put the 266fsb cpu into my motherboard? Im not looking for any perfomance gains choosing the 266fsb over the 200fsb, only price. Im just wondering if the CPU will default to the 200fsb or just not use the full potential of the 266fsb.

Matisaro

Splendid
Yes, the 1.4 tbird comes unlocked, thus you can put it in and change the multiplier to 14 without any additional work.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

franksterrr

quote:Yes, the 1.4 tbird comes unlocked, thus you can put it in and change the multiplier to 14 without any additional work.

THIS IS BAD ADVICE. the 266fsb cpu's had new microcode stepping with them. i had an old a7v and attempted this, then just unlocked the cpu and tried to run it.... it was nothing but headaches, finally i just brokedown and purchased a mobo that supporeted 266fsb. anyhow, if you cannot obtain a bio's update for the new microcode stepping your just inviting more problems....

i would suggest trying the "for sale" forums, since many powerusers are selling off those cpu's for an upgrade.... i would bet you could get a pretty sweet deal if you looked around enuf. i would suggest "www.hardforum.com" they have a good listing of for sale items, and i'm sure you could pick up the processor you need. just a word of advice thou.... make sure whoever your dealing with can produce good refrences or find someone that is willing to ship first.... there are many repudable sellers/traders out there so goodluck....

frank

Athlon 1gh@1.4gh AVIA 1.85v 40c@100% load
Globalwin fop38 alpha fan@52cfpm
Asus a7v kt133a

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I would buy the 266FSB. I guess you can overclock your mobo. Even if you don't reach the 133, you will probably be at the same performance level if you are close, because higher FSB gives you better overall performance. Also, if you don't want to stress other components (PCI, AGP, ...) try lo lock these buses (I usually don't care too much as long as no problem arises and don't overclock to extremes).

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Matisaro

Splendid
THIS IS BAD ADVICE. the 266fsb cpu's had new microcode stepping with them. i had an old a7v and attempted this, then just unlocked the cpu and tried to run it.... it was nothing but headaches, finally i just brokedown and purchased a mobo that supporeted 266fsb. anyhow, if you cannot obtain a bio's update for the new microcode stepping your just inviting more problems....

If you had an old a7v and attempted to do what I adivised, why did you unlock the chip, all 1.4ghz tbirds come unlocked.

Dont make [-peep-] up, dont disagree with me for no reason, and dont tell people crap which has no backing, your wrong, your advice was retarded, and your confusing people who dont want to be confused.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

siliconjon

You have three options. Run the chip at 100/200fsb, keeping the multiplier the same, giving you a slower CPU (lets say you buy an 1800XP/266, if you run it at the same multiplier, but the 200fsb, it will recognize as a 1.1Ghz rather than a 1533Mhz, and only utilize that much as well). Or, try overclocking the chip. You will not want to adjust only the multiplier. Try to get the fsb to 133 (or even higher), versus cranking the multiplier only. You can try the extreme multiplier increase, but I've only seen that become extremely unstable. Or, get a new board to match your pretty new processor...I'd pick #3.

I'm not really human, I just play one on TV

franksterrr

good luck trying to get a kt133 chipset running at 133fsb ddr, some people with pc150 sdr were able to obtain speeds of 115-118mhz, but that seems to be the limit of the kt133.

quote: If you had an old a7v and attempted to do what I adivised, why did you unlock the chip, all 1.4ghz tbirds come unlocked.

what have you been smoking lately? i suggest laying off the crack pipe..... for one, i never suggested i had a 1.4gh tbird, look at my sig, its a 1gh tbird OVERCLOCKED to 1.4gh. second, all tbirds are not unlocked, this is why tom has posted articles on unlocking the tbird, and seperate articles for unlocking the XP (because the process is different and more complicated). the processes are different, since XP has trenchs burned into the L1's. you still need to have the L1's closed on this cpu (tbird). there are however, a few evlauation and first production models that did not require this, maybe thats what you are refering too.....

quote from crackhead:

the 1.4 tbird comes unlocked, thus you can put it in and change the multiplier to 14 without any additional work.

quote from tom:

(this part is from AMD addressed to him)
Obviously, you have done a good job of putting the pieces together and presenting the information to your readers. However, there is one piece of information that you did not have. The parts we sent out to reviewers did not have the multiplier locked ---- as the final production parts now should. So, rather than have your vast readership discover that your recipe should not work on the parts they purchase from a vendor, and then have them pointing fingers back at you regarding your article, we wanted to make sure you had all of the data required.
As you know, we have had too many people make a business of overclocking and remarking our products so we have had to take drastic measures to prevent this. We wish there was a solution that allowed the legitimate enthusiast to experience the headroom in our products without the liability of out-of-spec parts being resold to unsuspecting users. Enthusiasts know the risks and some motherboards will allow general overclocking outside the CPU.

I published it yesterday in my latest Monday Blurb. AMD is planning to lock the internal multipliers of their Athlon/Thunderbird and Duron processors. This would mean that the technique that I presented in the last 'Overclocking SocketA' article, which works by altering the multiplier of those CPUs from the motherboard, might be history very soon.

Overclocking By Altering The Processor - The Tiny Copper Bridges of TBird and Duron

Luckily we found an alternative, as also already pointed out in my blurb from yesterday. The 'other' way to alter the multiplier as well as the core voltage of AMD's SocketA processors is to alter the settings of those tiny little copper bridges found on each of those CPUs.

here you go.... read the article yourself... but lay down the pipe first....

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.html#overclocking_by_altering_the_processor_the_tiny_copper_bridges_of_tbird_and_duron

anyhow, like a said above, you need the microcode for a 266fsb on your CHIPSET. go ahead and try it if you want, yes it will run.... but it will always be unstable....

Athlon 1gh@1.4gh AVIA 1.85v 40c@100% load
Globalwin fop38 alpha fan@52cfpm
Asus a7v kt133a

Matisaro

Splendid
You will not want to adjust only the multiplier. Try to get the fsb to 133 (or even higher), versus cranking the multiplier only. You can try the extreme multiplier increase, but I've only seen that become extremely unstable. Or, get a new board to match your pretty new processor...I'd pick #3.

More incorrect advice.

There is no difference between a 1400b and a 1400c except the multiplier, in the c's case(266fsb) the multiplier is 10.5 the 1400b(200fsb) has a multiplier of 14, this is set BY THE MOTHERBOARD.

The 1400C comes unlocked, all you have to do is set the multi to 14 in the bios and it will run EXACTLY like a 1400B, no difference, no issue, no problem.

It is NOT overclocking, it is running the chip at stock, anything else is wrong, period.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
what have you been smoking lately? i suggest laying off the crack pipe..... for one, i never suggested i had a 1.4gh tbird, look at my sig, its a 1gh tbird OVERCLOCKED to 1.4gh.
I advised him to buy a 1.4ghz tbirdc and run it at 1.4ghz, you have no experience with that you have no buisness giving bad advice(saying it will have issues when it most certainly will not)

second, all tbirds are not unlocked, this is why tom has posted articles on unlocking the tbird,

ALL 1.4GHZ TBIRDC'S COME UNLOCKED, AND ALL 1.33GHZ TBIRDS AND ALL 1.2GHZ TBIRDS AS WELL.
Period, thats what I said, and thats why I made my reccomendation, if this person buys a 1.4ghz tbird c it WILL come unlocked and he has but to set the multiplier in the bios to 14 to attain the full 1.4ghz.

I suggest YOU lay off the "crack pipe" before you give advice which is both wrong and confusing.

here you go.... read the article yourself... but lay down the pipe first....
LOL

Your article was if im not mistaken written before the tbirds hit the deck, heres some more on the truth.

<A HREF="http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:_r_y2Q_-IT0C:www.viperlair.com/reviews/amd/tbird14.htm+1.4ghz+tbird+unlocked&hl=en&ie=UTF8" target="_new">http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:_r_y2Q_-IT0C:www.viperlair.com/reviews/amd/tbird14.htm+1.4ghz+tbird+unlocked&hl=en&ie=UTF8</A>

(had to use a google cache page the site was down)

"All Thunderbirds 1.2Ghz and up are factory unlocked. That means that the multiplier is free for your manipulation. I highlighted the magical L1 traces. This is where you may have heard the ole "pencil" trick of connecting these typically separated traces. I'm not sure why, but pretty much all the new 266FSB Thunderbirds do not have these traces cut. The 200FSB Athlons almost certainly do."

Note how I reccomended a 266fsb, which do NOT come with their traces cut, how about you do some proper research before you call into question someones advice with incorrect information.

anyhow, like a said above, you need the microcode for a 266fsb on your CHIPSET. go ahead and try it if you want, yes it will run.... but it will always be unstable....
There is no microcode difference betwen the tbird c and tbird b, the only physical difference is the default multiplier, whoever told you that there was a microcode difference is smoking crack, and you must be as well to rehash the bull here. A tbird 1.4c will run@100fsb EASILY, and with the 14x multiplier will run at its rated speed, no stability issues.

Learn a bit more before sticking your nose in the advice giving and spreading fud, this guy asked a simple question, now you have given him the INCORRECT impression he has to spend more money, or worry about stability when he buys a 266fsb chip, NEITHER OF WHICH is true.

PS: dont use articles written before the 1.4ghz tbird was released to prove the bridges of the tbird are cut, it makes you look like an idiot.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
26515.

Ignore everyone but me on this.

Make sure your board has a 14x multiplier setting in the bios(may require a bios flash) and some boards use the 5x setting to represent 14x.

Once you have acertained if you have the 14x, you can EASILY run at 1.4ghz 266fsb tbird in your board, simply place it in and set the multiplier to 14x.

You do not need to buy a used cpu or pay the extra for the 200 fsb version of the 1.4ghz.

" am using the new BIOS with a 1.2 AXIA that is factory unlocked and it will
run fine at the 14x100 setting
do not know what abit means by connected and disconnected think they have it
backwards would be pretty stupid to cut the L1's
"Goldenorb" <sw88@juno.com> wrote in message
<A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&threadm=3B7918D7.3ADE28E2@juno.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups?q=kt7-raid+14x+multiplier&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&selm=3B7918D7.3ADE28E2@juno.com&rnum=1" target="_new">http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&threadm=3B7918D7.3ADE28E2@juno.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups?q=kt7-raid+14x+multiplier&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&selm=3B7918D7.3ADE28E2@juno.com&rnum=1</A>

It looks as if with the latest bios you can select 14x in the setup area, make sure you have the latest bios from abit and then feel free to buy thew 1.4c tbird.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
265115,

Ive been doing more research, it turns out that the kt7 does not have the 14x multiplier, the bios team stop upgrading it before adding support(because of the kt133a chipset apparently).

The fastest 266 you can use and get 100% speed is the 1.2ghz, the highest multiplier on your board appears to be 12.5.

If I were you I would buy the 1.4ghz tbird(266) and set your multiplier to 12.5 and your fsb to 110, that will give you 1.36ghz(better yet buy a 1.33ghz)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

cakecake

Matisaro, forgive me if I speak wrongly, but I believe he had a bad personal experience with doing what 26515 was asking, which is the reason why he says to 'avoid it'. In hardware, personal experience is just about all we really have, since we do not have access to the wide array of things to burn and destroy like the reviewers do. I think it began as a simple misunderstanding and may have escalated into something just not worth both of your guys energy.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I tend to agree with cakecake. Plus Matisaro, I have nothing against you, you seem to know your stuff about the AMD processors but the line:
"Ignore everyone but me on this."
Made you sound to damn arrogant, to me thats a crediblity hit. Im not sure of a better way to state that you are right, but that way just didnt sit well with me. Anyway just my .02

Matisaro

Splendid
Matisaro, forgive me if I speak wrongly, but I believe he had a bad personal experience with doing what 26515 was asking, which is the reason why he says to 'avoid it'. In hardware, personal experience is just about all we really have, since we do not have access to the wide array of things to burn and destroy like the reviewers do. I think it began as a simple misunderstanding and may have escalated into something just not worth both of your guys energy.

I agree it was a misunderstanding, however he made up microcode issues and he never had any experience with what I suggested, and the fact he basically told the guy my advice was bullshit set me off.

I apologize to everyone for being overly rude in my counter.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
"Ignore everyone but me on this."

Again, I apologize for my stern rebuttal, when I said that line I meant everyone who had given incorrect advice before me, I am generally not arrogant as evidenced by most of my posts, again, sorry.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

franksterrr

lol, you need to get some counciling man. thats all i have to say.

anyhow, YES i am speaking from first hand experience, i have attempted EXACTLY what this guy is thinking about doing. the article i post above is on the tbird, it states it right in the post, read it.....

anyhow, i was unaware that the 1.2/1.4gh tbird come factory unlocked, since i have not personally inspected those cpu's. i stand corrected on that issue.

bottom line, these cpus were not not made to run in an older motherboard with 100fsb. i was able to run mine, but it was only stable at about 900mhz, well below the stock rating for this processor, decreasing the fsb and increasing the multipliers like you propose simply DID NOT WORK FOR ME.

as you can see, i still have this same cpu, and i get a 40% overclock with the CORRECT motherboard. i am not going to argue this point any further, take my advice or his, it really make no difference to me.

peace
frank

Athlon 1gh@1.4gh AVIA 1.85v 40c@100% load
Globalwin fop38 alpha fan@52cfpm
Asus a7v kt133a

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The most 1.2GHz Athlons come factory unlocked and all 1.33GHz and 1.4GHz Athlons are unlocked. Raising the multiplier should not cause any instability issues. The KT7 doesn't support the 14X multiplier but 108*13 should work fine.

Matisaro

Splendid
lol, you need to get some counciling man. thats all i have to say.
Why is that, you are wrong and in your wrongness you told somoene I gave advice to I was wrong, so I corrected you.

No you havent, he is thinking of buying a 1.4ghz tbird c and running it @100fsb, you have a 1ghz tbird, you are not doing what he is doing.

bottom line, these cpus were not not made to run in an older motherboard with 100fsb. i was able to run mine, but it was only stable at about 900mhz, well below the stock rating for this processor, decreasing the fsb and increasing the multipliers like you propose simply DID NOT WORK FOR ME.
Bottom line, you are flat out undeniably WRONG, there is NO difference between the b and c thunderbirds asides from multiplier, there is NO physical difference in either testing or microcode, there is NO design difference aside from the different bridges being burnt on the tbird to attain the 14x multiplier.

Your personal experience was caused by SOMETHING ELSE, sorry to break it to you like that, but your advice and assertion that the 133fsb tbirds wont work stabily@100fsb is WRONG.

take my advice or his, it really make no difference to me.
Thats all well and good, except it makes a difference to him, and thats what I care about, if he goes and spends more moeny on a chip he didnt need to because you couldnt properly diagnose an issue and gave out false information, it may just piss him off.

Your info is wrong, you may have had an issue you couldnt explain, but the explination you tried to feed this poor guy is misleading and incorrect, and if you think I need therapy for pointing that out to you, then thats fine, dosent change the fact you are incorrect.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

franksterrr

i'm not going to even waste anymore of my time with you. you are an asshat, period. you appear to be an idividual who will argue yourself to extinction. face it, you just want to argue, thats not what i came here for.......

i happen to have a bachelor degree in behavioral psychology (among my other college endeavors) and find your behavior rather amusing. you sound like an intelligent person i give you that. i would have some advice, take it for what its worth...... (i'm speaking to the air here, i just know it) when in debate, (debate is good by the way, this is how people get to the facts).

anyhow, here is the advice "try not to take what is said so personal". in most of my experience, (even in behavioral theory) when you lower yourself to such a standard, you become distracted and your ability to grasp the facts diminishes.

your still an asshat thou. :)

Athlon 1gh@1.4gh AVIA 1.85v 40c@100% load
Globalwin fop38 alpha fan@52cfpm
Asus a7v kt133a

Matisaro

Splendid
i'm not going to even waste anymore of my time with you. you are an asshat, period. you appear to be an idividual who will argue yourself to extinction. face it, you just want to argue, thats not what i came here for.......
I like to debate, anyone can attest to that, I am also if I dont say so myself, highly respected here, apparently I havent debated myself to extinction yet.

happen to have a bachelor degree in behavioral psychology (among my other college endeavors) and find your behavior rather amusing. you sound like an intelligent person i give you that. i would have some advice, take it for what its worth...... (i'm speaking to the air here, i just know it) when in debate, (debate is good by the way, this is how people get to the facts).

anyhow, here is the advice "try not to take what is said so personal". in most of my experience, (even in behavioral theory) when you lower yourself to such a standard, you become distracted and your ability to grasp the facts diminishes.
I didnt take anything personally, I countered your obviously bad advice and ensured the poor person who you were trying(purposly or not)to mislead was not misinformed by your own mistakes.

PS: good work on the degree, my advice is take some computer classes before you chime in on subjects where you have little working knowledge, do you even know what microcode is? I will give you a hint, it has nothing to do with fsb speeds.

your still an asshat thou. :)
Nice adhom, perhaps in your vigerous study of debate tactics you understand where personal insults get you.

I will fill you in on that, you still are wrong, and now I am morally correct.

Lets see how well you "stop wasting time" I for one would be glad if you never opened your mouth in this thread again, your misinformation already has caused enough confusion and conflict.

Have a nice day.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: