P4's USED IN STAR WARS: EP2!!!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yep that's right P4's were used in the making of the latest Star Wars!

<A HREF="http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue99&file=6011s1" target="_new">http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue99&file=6011s1</A>

I tried looking for a mention about AMD but it looks like AMD+linux would've rendered stick figures, kudos to Lucas.

ps, aotc rocks!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
This is very interesting news. If you have the money, you can get yourself a professional capture card and pro video editing and rendering software and you'll be able to make a Hollywood-class movie!

Hmm, just how much would all that hardware and software cost?

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
This is very interesting news. If you have the money, you can get yourself a professional capture card and pro video editing and rendering software and you'll be able to make a Hollywood-class movie!

Hmm, just how much would all that hardware and software cost?

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Wow, you are really running out of trolling material if that is the best you can find.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
tsk..tsk...

This is my new <font color=blue>Updated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Eatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> Fresh </font color=red> sig.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The software and video card is the most expensive part, by far. The CPU isn't as big a deal once you get into the high-end arena.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
CHRIST DUDE- GIMMI YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS AND ILL SEND YOU A KEYBOARD THAT THE CAPS LOCK KEY WORKS AND NONE OF THE SHIFT KEYS ARE STUCK IN.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Sorry to those who disagree, but I think Meltdown is hysterical. I can't hang with you guys on CPU architecture (sorry to spam your thread), but I love to read his posts. And the ALL CAPS, that's classic...Melty I think you should post more. Flame ON!!!

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I think most of his posts are funny, but this one was just stupid.

Although I did read the article because I was interested in how linux was being used.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
And Babylon 5 uses Amiga's. What does that have to do with anything?

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL!!! THEY!!! USED!!! PENTIUM!!! 4'S!!!

THAT!!! MAKES!!! THIS!!! THREAD!!! SPECIAL!!!

<font color=purple>All advice I offer has been
Audited by Arthur Anderson.</font color=purple>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Hey everyone I hope you realize that this is just a marketing stint by Intel or else a reporter with nothing useful to report (that description fits all, 100%, everyone single, individual reporter in the U.S. right now). The way I see it they could use either P4's or Athlon's, it doesn't matter. Maybe P4's have heat protection or better mounting brackets for their HSF's or maybe more stable chipsets (rather than VIA crashware) and this is why they used them. Maybe they get better benchmarks because they have faster memory architecture.

I know I'm not supposed to give into these abberrations, but in the Intel vs. AMD argument, Intel is all about the reasons I listed above and AMD is all about good performance and especially good price.

That's lovely, the graphic artists wanted their Pentium computers. Fluffy flowers and cheerful bunnies. But this is from Hollywood. I've read so many articles about "the special graphics behind computer animation" that it's all become washed out, overused, and campy.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I agree that this is starting to get out of hand. I could be mistaken but I think that they used SGIs for the Episode I. Does that mean that all SGIs suck just because Jar Jar did? No of course not. Lucasfilms is know for their exceptional sounding sound quality (skywalker sound) or their exceptional special effects (Industrial lights and magic) and they had awesome special effects well before the introduction of the P4. So I think the processor had little to do with it.

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
If P4's where such a big deal, than why do the high end video editing cards cost about 4-5 times more than the latest p4.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

eden

Champion
Yeah I'd imagine them using big render farms or something, not a small P4 system...

Something like a full Xeon x-way but certainly not just a P4, it'd still take hours and hours to render!

--
Meow