xp2100+ or barton?

G

hi

i have to buy a new processor but i have read the article about the thoroughbred and i think then it remains my the choice between 2 AMD processors. the xp2100+ now or the Barton later?
but i am wondering when will be the coming out of the Barton. i hope this willn't the same case as for the thoroughbred with several months later.
i am not sure either the xp2100+ would be the best choice?

have you some comments about?

thanks.

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What are the requirements for your processor. What applications/games do you use/play? Do you plan on overclocking? Do you want a "silent" system?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Why not a Northwood P4?? It is a great buy now and performs rather well, plus it appears to overclock like a dream. Well in a couple of months I should be upgrading and if things are kinda like now a P4 I will use :smile: .

G

that (maybe +/- some games but not sure...) :

i would like to mount a "high end" computer. i am a developer and my needs are as that follows :

large hard disk and faster. at least 2 disks for a raid 0+1 configuration.
moreover i don't know well if i have to go to SCSI or ATA133.

my occupations are:
- applications development (all domains)
- web development
- web design
- backup web server and sql server (for a rescue case)
- video editing and capturing
- possible evolution over a small lan server, lan access point for a dsl sharing, rooting administration, firewall, business applications sharing.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Do you plan to buy just the CPU or the computer? Do you have any components? You need it now? You will wait some months before you see Barton on the streets.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Do you plan to buy just the CPU or the computer? Do you have any components? You need it now? You will wait some months before you see Barton on the streets.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

I would get the 1.8a and overclock it to 2.4 (about $165). Or, if your budget permits it, a 2.26 for about $275 which is set at 133 fsb. But be sure your mobo supports 133 (533 quad pumped).

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
may i suggest you get corsair PC3200 ram with that??? :smile:

u need a minimum of 4 drives for RAID 0+1 by the way

and i fyou want a real workstation u may want to consider a dual cpu board.

<font color=purple>All advice I offer has been
Audited by Arthur Anderson.</font color=purple>

G

< and i fyou want a real workstation u may want to consider a dual cpu board. >
have you some suggestions about a SMP capable motherboard?

G

if "the MPX chipset for dual amd MP's is a goodie",
what do you suggest instead?