Noise Levels for Dell Desktops

Last response: in Computer Brands
November 2, 2004 3:41:41 PM

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or 8400.
Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway, or
HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

Thanx,
Key Bored
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 7:48:31 PM

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

My 8200 is very quiet. Most noise comes from cheap fans or loose/vibrating
fan shroud (covering around the fan). Dell replaced the original noise fan
which has been quiet ever since. Another source of noise is the fan for a
high end graphic card which generates a lot of heat and needs extra strong
cooling. You can buy replacement fans which are quieter than the originals.
If you select a mid level graphic card you'll probably end up with a quiet
Dell, either 4600 or 8400.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:41:59 AM

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

My 4600 was whisper quiet when I first bought but within a month it was a
leaf blower. Apparently it was common at the time but don't know if they've
fixed it or not.
November 3, 2004 1:50:04 AM

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
>> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
>> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
>> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Key Bored
>
>My 4600 was whisper quiet when I first bought but within a month it was a
>leaf blower. Apparently it was common at the time but don't know if they've
>fixed it or not.

My Dimension 8300 is super noisy, particularly when it's a little warm
out. I can hear in the next room! I have to turn it off at time when I am
not using it because it is so loud at times.

It has the 3.0MHz and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB and the combination is
loud!
Charliec
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 6:02:49 AM

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in

> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like
> Sony, Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for
> computers?

This is an interesting thread. My current desktop is an 8100. It and my
prior two Dell desktops were too noisy for me. In fact, I've now gone to
nearly exclusive use of my laptop, largely because the desktops cause my
ears to ring. It is strange though that my home desktops cause me such
problems because my work Dell desktops do not - I think it may be because
the work ventilation system serves as a white noise that filters this out
(my hypothesis!).

--
Tom McCune
November 3, 2004 10:16:18 AM

I am using a 4300. Its case fan was quite noisy, and I tolerated it
for two years. Then I discovered that Dell has been replacing the
noisy case fan with a quiet one for quite some time. I ordered a new
case fan from Dell, and the PC is quiet ever since.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:09:47 PM

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:3oudnRBOC4iRbBrcRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or 8400.
> Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway, or
> HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

Some info can be found in the documents located here:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...

However, I find the information frustratingly vague. The configuration of the
test machines isn't fully documented, nor is the amount of load. But that is
something to look at.

There are numerous forums on the net where PC quieting is dicussed. For
example, www.anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com, and
www.silentpcreview.com have forums. I don't know whether any third
parties have evaluated Dells, Gateways, etc for noise. However, if you
dig around you'll probably find numerous personal comments regarding
how quiet or noisy they are.

You best bet would be to find someone that owns the exact machine you
are considering, and go have a listen. Noise is a subjective thing, and what
one person might consider quiet you might consider highly annoying. If you
aren't satisfied with the noise levels of Dells, Gateways, etc you could build
your own quieter machine, or purchase one from a reputable builder.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:09:48 PM

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> You best bet would be to find someone that owns the exact machine you
> are considering, and go have a listen. Noise is a subjective thing, and
> what
> one person might consider quiet you might consider highly annoying. If
> you
> aren't satisfied with the noise levels of Dells, Gateways, etc you could
> build
> your own quieter machine, or purchase one from a reputable builder.

Good suggestion to have computer custom built at a local shop if you're not
skilled in computer assembly. Burn out one CPU and labor savings are lost.
By emphasizing on quietness you can select higher quality fans and insulated
case with minimum addl. cost. Alternatively, be sure Dell replaces noisy
fans etc. I have a 4600 and an 8200 both of which, IMO, run quietly.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 3:15:08 PM

Tom McCune wrote:
> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600
>> or 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of
>> these models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers
>> like Sony, Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings
for
>> computers?
>
> This is an interesting thread. My current desktop is an 8100. It
> and my prior two Dell desktops were too noisy for me. In fact, I've
> now gone to nearly exclusive use of my laptop, largely because the
> desktops cause my ears to ring. It is strange though that my home
> desktops cause me such problems because my work Dell desktops do not
> - I think it may be because the work ventilation system serves as a
> white noise that filters this out (my hypothesis!).

Hi Tom,
I also have a Dimension 8100. In the course of time it became very
noisy indeed.
Recently I had a handyman replace both of the coolers you can see on
the backside (one of them belongs to the electric power unit)
Now it's as quiet again as if it was new.
Maybe it's a solution to consider ?
wederik
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 3:15:09 PM

"wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote in news:2urss2F2cqek5U1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Hi Tom,
> I also have a Dimension 8100. In the course of time it became very
> noisy indeed.
> Recently I had a handyman replace both of the coolers you can see on
> the backside (one of them belongs to the electric power unit)
> Now it's as quiet again as if it was new.
> Maybe it's a solution to consider ?
> wederik

Thank you. I've noticed this from the beginning and don't think it has
become louder, but I may take a look again. I would really prefer to have
a desktop for my main computer at home, but this laptop is really so much
easier on my ears. I guess I should also add that this ear ringing may
well be something I'm just much more sensitive to than most people.

--
Tom McCune
November 3, 2004 4:53:37 PM

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

Just received a 4600 2 days ago and its fan/disk noise is nil (nearly
inaudible),
CD rev'ing up is audible (as I would want it to be)..
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:35:21 AM

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:38:59 GMT, Tom McCune <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
wrote:

> Thank you. I've noticed this from the beginning and don't think it has
> become louder, but I may take a look again. I would really prefer to
> have
> a desktop for my main computer at home, but this laptop is really so much
> easier on my ears. I guess I should also add that this ear ringing may
> well be something I'm just much more sensitive to than most people.

When my computer is super noisy(on a hot, humid day in summer), I use cheap
foam earplugs. A very simple, cheap, convenient solution - I also use the
earplugs for sleeping.

Buck
November 4, 2004 11:44:17 PM

Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
should be avoided as they get very warm
and so will need more cooling

the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an office
environment

they are a basic 2.something P4 model

i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow

on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a quiet
pc is to get a dell
rather than customise something else

also the case design helps

i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never thought
anything of them
but once i've used on it convinced me

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
8400.
> Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway,
or
> HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

November 5, 2004 11:02:50 PM

GX260 - 2.66 P4 - on board sound and i'd guess graphics

full tower case so you can upgrade video etc.

theres different types but full tower will give you the most options

i reckon them big time

"zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
> should be avoided as they get very warm
> and so will need more cooling
>
> the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an
office
> environment
>
> they are a basic 2.something P4 model
>
> i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow
>
> on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a
quiet
> pc is to get a dell
> rather than customise something else
>
> also the case design helps
>
> i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never
thought
> anything of them
> but once i've used on it convinced me
>

> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400.
> > Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> > compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway,
> or
> > HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Key Bored

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:22:55 AM

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!

I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in comparison
(the 3000 being the quietest).

The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it on.
I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long cables
and put the PC in the garage.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 4:45:55 PM

"Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message news:<39cjd.1625$U24.998@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>...

> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>
> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in comparison
> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>
> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it on.
> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long cables
> and put the PC in the garage.

Hi Comp UK,

a second very long cable for me too !!
Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
concerned too.
Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
Let me know what you want to do.

Bye ...
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:22:10 PM

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>>
>> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in
>> comparison
>> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>>
>> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it
>> on.
>> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long
>> cables
>> and put the PC in the garage.
>
> Hi Comp UK,
>
> a second very long cable for me too !!
> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
> concerned too.
> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
> Let me know what you want to do.
>
> Bye ...

If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask for
a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.

Post back

Stew
November 8, 2004 1:37:59 AM

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>>
>> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in
>> comparison
>> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>>
>> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it
>> on.
>> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long
>> cables
>> and put the PC in the garage.
>
> Hi Comp UK,
>
> a second very long cable for me too !!
> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
> concerned too.
> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
> Let me know what you want to do.

Hi there, thanks for the link. I notice there are in the same boat.

I opened my PC last night and had a good listen and the problem is the fan
coming ONLY from the CPU/processor fan (Dell part #). The other fan seems
fairly silent.

I wouldn't mind if it was a constant tone/pitch, but it isn't.

My PC spec is 3GHZ, ATI 300SE and 1GB RAM.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message...
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message...
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message...

And very handy noise diagnosis
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

My PC is loud ALL the time. Start up to shutdown. I'd not say it's a vacuum
sound, more like a hairdryer/lawn mower with some low-pitch rattling.

I'm VERY happy with the PC otherwise so I may just be getting a very long
set of cables :D
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 4:10:31 AM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<mQzjd.52151$Tq1.46807@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...

> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
> time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask for
> a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.
>
> Post back
>

> Stew

The fan runs not "wide open", if then, it´s sound like a vacuum
cleaner (only testet with the Dell Tool). I replaced the fan two times
- same noise.
The first fan was a DELTA, the second a NIDEC.
By the way - the fan is constantly changes for a short moment the RPM
if you start a program, klick the mouse or scan a picture ....!
I don´t think it´s the fan.
November 8, 2004 1:28:19 PM

> I don´t think it´s the fan.

Neither does this guy
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...

He thinks that's the problem solved. Hopefully it applies to our 8400s too.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:28:20 PM

"John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> I don´t think it´s the fan.
>

> Neither does this guy
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
>
> He thinks that's the problem solved. Hopefully it applies to our 8400s
> too.

Since Peter is seeing some fluctuation in the fan speeds and has had fan
replacement, then it's obviously not the fan. The system boards I've seen
fail usually allow the fan to operate "wide open" uncontrolled continually.
One could dry one's hair with it.

Also, the "performance heatsink" mentioned in the Dell forum thread (
W4254 ) is, I believe the 'standard' heatsink *already* used in the
Dim8400 - or at least it is the only one I've noted. The bar code with this
part number is visible on the top of the HS.

The (poor) seating of the heatsink mentioned in that thread could indeed
cause rapid variation in the fan speeds on a regular basis. The fit of the
heatsink base into the motherboard "pedestal" into which the HS snaps in is
rather clumsy in that it is very tight and "flexes" the pedestal itself.
It's not unthinkable that the HS could be snapped in but at a slight
(incorrect) angle, leading to uneven cooling and ultimately over-active fan
cycling.

I've also believed that the amount of thermal compound ( resembles artic
silver in appearance ) is excessive in amount in thickness on the HS.

If it were mine, I'd venture to clean the heatsink contact area and the top
of the CPU with a mild alcohol wipe and lightly re-apply a different
compound to see if that and thorough reseating changes anything.

Stew

Stew
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:02:42 PM

> "Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>>>
>>> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in
>>> comparison
>>> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>>>
>>> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it
>>> on.
>>> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long
>>> cables
>>> and put the PC in the garage.
>>
>> Hi Comp UK,
>>
>> a second very long cable for me too !!
>> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
>> concerned too.
>> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
>> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
>> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
>> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
>> Let me know what you want to do.
>>
>> Bye ...
>

> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
> time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask
> for a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.

Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first determine
WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:39:10 PM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
>>> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi Comp UK,
>>>
>>> a second very long cable for me too !!
>>> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
>>> concerned too.
>>> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
>>> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
>>> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
>>> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
>>> Let me know what you want to do.
>>>
>>> Bye ...
>>

>> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
>> time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask
>> for a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.
>>

> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first
> determine WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.

While it's true enough that video fans can make noise, they typically do not
fluctuate once the machine is booted. This poster is referring specifically
to his CPU/case fan.

I addressed the heatsink seating/compound in my prior post.

Sadly, you likely do not know the hardware of this particular machine (the
Dim8400) as I do. That makes me somewhat more qualified to make such a
statement.

Be that as it may, a 'good' technician - not unlike a skilled athlete or
doctor - does not have to tell anyone that they are 'good'.

That is determined by the results of their work.

Stew
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 8:09:50 PM

>>> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of
>>> the time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might
>>> ask for a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb
>>> changed.
>>>

>> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first
>> determine WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
>> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
>> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.
>>

> While it's true enough that video fans can make noise, they typically do
> not fluctuate once the machine is booted. This poster is referring
> specifically to his CPU/case fan.

True they (video cooling fans) do not 'typically' fluctuate, but then we are
talking about failing fans here aren't we! In which case I have seen many do
this over the years. As for the OP referring 'specifically' to CPU/case fan,
not in the message I responded to he hadn't. Only a mention fluctuating
noise level.

> I addressed the heatsink seating/compound in my prior post.
>
> Sadly, you likely do not know the hardware of this particular machine (the
> Dim8400) as I do. That makes me somewhat more qualified to make such a
> statement.

Well good for you, and I now see that. You do realize that perhaps your
heatsink seating/compound response may not have been showing on everyones
news servers and in fact was not yet showing on mine. More sadly you appear
to be very hung on yourself and your alleged skills as a super tech and your
assumptions that you are more qualified than another to make a legitimate
response are evidence of this. I have seen plenty like you come and go in my
25 years of working on systems and suppose the trend will continue. By the
way, I own two 8400's myself and have worked on several, I am quite familiar
with them.

> Be that as it may, a 'good' technician - not unlike a skilled athlete or
> doctor - does not have to tell anyone that they are 'good'.
>
> That is determined by the results of their work.

I am quite pleased with the number of customers my company has that send
others our way. You on the other hand are the one that seems to be all set
on telling us what a super-tech you are.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 11:05:19 PM

Given this response and your previous pithy comments, consider yourself and
your ego dismissed.

Regards,

Stew

>>> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first
>>> determine WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
>>> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
>>> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.
>>>

>> While it's true enough that video fans can make noise, they typically do
>> not fluctuate once the machine is booted. This poster is referring
>> specifically to his CPU/case fan.
>>

> True they (video cooling fans) do not 'typically' fluctuate, but then we
> are talking about failing fans here aren't we! In which case I have seen
> many do this over the years. As for the OP referring 'specifically' to
> CPU/case fan, not in the message I responded to he hadn't. Only a mention
> fluctuating noise level.
>

>> I addressed the heatsink seating/compound in my prior post.
>>
>> Sadly, you likely do not know the hardware of this particular machine
>> (the Dim8400) as I do. That makes me somewhat more qualified to make such
>> a statement.
>>

> Well good for you, and I now see that. You do realize that perhaps your
> heatsink seating/compound response may not have been showing on everyones
> news servers and in fact was not yet showing on mine. More sadly you
> appear to be very hung on yourself and your alleged skills as a super tech
> and your assumptions that you are more qualified than another to make a
> legitimate response are evidence of this. I have seen plenty like you come
> and go in my 25 years of working on systems and suppose the trend will
> continue. By the way, I own two 8400's myself and have worked on several,
> I am quite familiar with them.
>
>> Be that as it may, a 'good' technician - not unlike a skilled athlete or
>> doctor - does not have to tell anyone that they are 'good'.
>>
>> That is determined by the results of their work.
>>

> I am quite pleased with the number of customers my company has that send
> others our way. You on the other hand are the one that seems to be all set
> on telling us what a super-tech you are.

November 9, 2004 3:33:52 AM

In article <-Y2dnfwIR786exXcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>, usern@invalid.invalid
says...

> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:3oudnRBOC4iRbBrcRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or 8400.
> > Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> > compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway, or
> > HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Some info can be found in the documents located here:
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...
>
> However, I find the information frustratingly vague. The configuration of the
> test machines isn't fully documented, nor is the amount of load. But that is
> something to look at.
>
> There are numerous forums on the net where PC quieting is dicussed. For
> example, www.anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com, and
> www.silentpcreview.com have forums. I don't know whether any third
> parties have evaluated Dells, Gateways, etc for noise. However, if you
> dig around you'll probably find numerous personal comments regarding
> how quiet or noisy they are.
>
> You best bet would be to find someone that owns the exact machine you
> are considering, and go have a listen. Noise is a subjective thing, and what
> one person might consider quiet you might consider highly annoying. If you
> aren't satisfied with the noise levels of Dells, Gateways, etc you could build
> your own quieter machine, or purchase one from a reputable builder.

In my experience, having several Dells of my own in the past and
recently setting up a 4600 and then an 8400 for some friends, one of the
problems is whining hard drives. This is the luck of the draw because
Dell uses whatever brand HD they have available at a given time. I find
the high pitched whine even more difficult than the fan, power supply
and graphic card fan.

In my last Dell, an 8200, I ended up replacing the power supply, the cpu
fan and the hard drive, all to achieve some peace and quiet.

So, this time round, I had one built for me by www.endpcnoise.com and it
is truly quiet. However, they don't technically offer any tech support
although they'll be happy to help when you call. Given the quality, or
lack thereof, of Dell's tech support, I'm not sure much is really lost.
They use only retail parts and you wont have something crippled by its
OEM status, although you will pay more up front. They also offer high
quality video cards with Zalman heat sinks to replace the fans -
therefore, silent.

You could also have a look at www.tastycomputers.com. They will custom
build using pretty much whatever parts you want and I know they are
aware of the noise factor.

Louise
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:22:25 PM

Well this is my first time using DELL (or any brandname comp rather than a
custom built.)

I almost didn't purchase this DELL because of the noise issues I heard on
their user forums.
I was also concerned about having so much hardware on a 250 w power supply,
no added fans or cooling, no side vents on case, etc.

Well I plugged in my new 8400 (upgraded soundcard to audigy and upgraded vid
card to x300) and it's SO QUIET, I have to put my ear up to it to make sure
it is turned on!!!

My comp tech says it will get noisier the more you use it because the
firmware runs the fan at variable speeds according to how much it needs. So
far I have run Unreal Tournament on it, quite intensive for the cpu and can
notice no difference in the sound level.

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> and graphic card fan.
>
> In my last Dell, an 8200, I ended up replacing the power supply, the cpu
> fan and the hard drive, all to achieve some peace and quiet.
>
> So, this time round, I had one built for me by www.endpcnoise.com and it
> is truly quiet. However, they don't technically offer any tech support
> although they'll be happy to help when you call. Given the quality, or
> lack thereof, of Dell's tech support, I'm not sure much is really lost.
> They use only retail parts and you wont have something crippled by its
> OEM status, although you will pay more up front. They also offer high
> quality video cards with Zalman heat sinks to replace the fans -
> therefore, silent.
>
> You could also have a look at www.tastycomputers.com. They will custom
> build using pretty much whatever parts you want and I know they are

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 5:43:32 PM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<rOMjd.87572$UA.15370@lakeread08>...

> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first determine
> WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.

Hi,

it´s definitely the CPU/Case-Fan.
There is no fan on the videocard, the fan in the power-supply is very
silent.
I don´t believe it´s a problem with the heatsink, i will check it.

The fan runs always with the same speed, only if you do something,
start a program or what ever, if then the fan changes the speed for
one second.
The question is - what is controlled the fan - what changes the speed,
just for a second.
I don´t believe the fan is controlled by temperature, i read something
about "Puls Width Modulation (PWM) Controlled Fans". Don´t know what
this meant.
If i stress the CPU (100%) for a long time - the fan runs always with
the same speed, only the air flow is hot. I checked the fan with the
Dell-Test, it seems all ok.
Perhaps it´s normal as a Dell PC - perhaps i am too sensitively ...

Bye, Peter.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:43:26 PM

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first
>> determine
>> WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
>> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
>> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.
>
> Hi,
>
> it´s definitely the CPU/Case-Fan.
> There is no fan on the videocard, the fan in the power-supply is very
> silent.
> I don´t believe it´s a problem with the heatsink, i will check it.
>
> The fan runs always with the same speed, only if you do something,
> start a program or what ever, if then the fan changes the speed for
> one second.
> The question is - what is controlled the fan - what changes the speed,
> just for a second.
> I don´t believe the fan is controlled by temperature, i read something
> about "Puls Width Modulation (PWM) Controlled Fans". Don´t know what
> this meant.
> If i stress the CPU (100%) for a long time - the fan runs always with
> the same speed, only the air flow is hot. I checked the fan with the
> Dell-Test, it seems all ok.
> Perhaps it´s normal as a Dell PC - perhaps i am too sensitively ...
>
> Bye, Peter.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Dell test checks an upper range limit of about 1800
rpm and a lower in the range of 800 to 900rpm. If your tests indicate
numbers similar to that then it would suggest the fan to be operating
normally.

Dell has used variable speed (temperature directed) fans for some time. The
Dim8400 fan - while roughly the same diameter as early fans in that case -
is a much deeper fan and I believe still uses what this page refers to as an
"NTC". You should be able to see the sensor on the fan from the rear of the
tower with a flashlight.

http://heatsink-guide.com/jmc80mm.htm

The last line of your post may also be correct. It has been commonplace in
this ng and others to see posts from people who are simply sensitive to
noise, and those issues go back to (at least) the Dimension 4100.

Stew
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:19:13 PM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<ndfkd.4328$WC6.2673@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...

> Dell has used variable speed (temperature directed) fans for some time. The
> Dim8400 fan - while roughly the same diameter as early fans in that case -
> is a much deeper fan and I believe still uses what this page refers to as an
> "NTC". You should be able to see the sensor on the fan from the rear of the
> tower with a flashlight.

Hi Stew,
there is no sensor on the delta- or nidec fan.
The fans are connected with a 4-wire connector, therefore i say PWM.
I think that is the DELL fan-control: (see the graphic)
http://www.de.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041027/cooler-01.h...

And now - good news, there are a new FlashBios (A03) for the Dimension
8400, i installed it - my fan became quieter !!!!!

Bye ..
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:49:11 PM

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Dell has used variable speed (temperature directed) fans for some time.
>> The
>> Dim8400 fan - while roughly the same diameter as early fans in that
>> case -
>> is a much deeper fan and I believe still uses what this page refers to as
>> an
>> "NTC". You should be able to see the sensor on the fan from the rear of
>> the
>> tower with a flashlight.
>
> Hi Stew,
> there is no sensor on the delta- or nidec fan.
> The fans are connected with a 4-wire connector, therefore i say PWM.
> I think that is the DELL fan-control: (see the graphic)
> http://www.de.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041027/cooler-01.h...
>
> And now - good news, there are a new FlashBios (A03) for the Dimension
> 8400, i installed it - my fan became quieter !!!!!
>
> Bye ..

Thanks, Pete - and congrats on finding a solution. I feel sure this topic
will come up again.

Stew
November 11, 2004 8:46:33 PM

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Dell has used variable speed (temperature directed) fans for some time.
>> The
>> Dim8400 fan - while roughly the same diameter as early fans in that
>> case -
>> is a much deeper fan and I believe still uses what this page refers to as
>> an
>> "NTC". You should be able to see the sensor on the fan from the rear of
>> the
>> tower with a flashlight.
>
> Hi Stew,
> there is no sensor on the delta- or nidec fan.
> The fans are connected with a 4-wire connector, therefore i say PWM.
> I think that is the DELL fan-control: (see the graphic)
> http://www.de.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041027/cooler-01.h...
>
> And now - good news, there are a new FlashBios (A03) for the Dimension
> 8400, i installed it - my fan became quieter !!!!!

Thanks for the heads' up.

Tried the new BIOS
http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?s...

Still a leaf blower alas.
November 15, 2004 9:59:32 PM

Sorry to disagree with you. I have had nothing but Dell's for years
and years. I have gotten VERY FEW that are not noisy. I just received
a new 8400 and it is noisy as h..ll. The fans in them are the cheapest
and are noisy. If you are capable of replacing the fan with a quieter
one then that helps. Be aware anytime you replace a part with a non
Dell product you void the warranty.

I am sitting here listening to the roar of mine as I type.

>Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
>should be avoided as they get very warm
>and so will need more cooling
>
>the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an office
>environment
>
>they are a basic 2.something P4 model
>
>i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow
>
>on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a quiet
>pc is to get a dell
>rather than customise something else
>
>also the case design helps
>
>i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never thought
>anything of them
>but once i've used on it convinced me
>

>"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
>8400.
>> Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
>> compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway,
>or
>> HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Key Bored

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:59:33 PM

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry to disagree with you. I have had nothing but Dell's for years
> and years. I have gotten VERY FEW that are not noisy. I just received
> a new 8400 and it is noisy as h..ll. The fans in them are the cheapest
> and are noisy. If you are capable of replacing the fan with a quieter
> one then that helps. Be aware anytime you replace a part with a non
> Dell product you void the warranty.
>
> I am sitting here listening to the roar of mine as I type.

Two minor corrections: changing the fan (or adding/changing any other
component in the system) does NOT void the warranty, unless one were to
point to some failure directly caused by that component - and I can't
imagine that happens much, or that anyone would admit it if it did occur.

Secondly, fan noise is relative to the users' sensitivity to same. The 8400
is as quiet as a morgue compared to my homebuilt system.

Stew
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 2:19:07 PM

In article <LOamd.15185$jE2.5454@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Two minor corrections: changing the fan (or adding/changing any other
> component in the system) does NOT void the warranty, unless one were to
> point to some failure directly caused by that component - and I can't
> imagine that happens much, or that anyone would admit it if it did occur.
>
> Secondly, fan noise is relative to the users' sensitivity to same. The 8400
> is as quiet as a morgue compared to my homebuilt system.
>
> Stew

The only way to tell is to measure decible levels. Does DELL provide
measurements for the 8400 compared to other machines?

Personal anecdote:
I have a couple of machines -- a G4 iMac and an old Micron PII 300. The
Mac is almost silent, the Micron sounds like a small vacuum cleaner when
you start it up (plus I have an external hard drive with its own fan,
which makes more noise than the computer). So, yes sound levels are
subjective, but there are some objective measurements we can take. When
I work, I much prefer the "sound" of the Mac to that of the Micron.

r/
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 2:30:09 PM

In article <BL8kd.762$z3.67@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"KatWoman" <JoliePrincessKatana@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Some info can be found in the documents located here:
> >>
> >> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...
> >> _datasheets?c=us&l=en&s=corp

Interesting. I checked that page and the Dimensions all seem to generate
roughly the same amount of noise (apparently quite a bit if I'm reading
the chart right). They also consume a boatload of energy. Perusing some
of the other models, it seems that the Dell Precision M50 is the
quietest. Not sure what it costs or how it's equipped but it's part of
their "workstation" line.

FYI, the machines from Shuttle (small form factor) generate about 37 dB
of noise (not sure if all of them generate the same amount of noise),
which is less than most of the Dells.

Wish I knew what my iMac generated, that way I'd have a point of
comparison.

r/
November 16, 2004 8:07:21 PM

What bios are you using? The new A03 is supposed to make them quieter.
Mine is very noisy. I have had 6 Dell's recently and ALL are noisy.
This one is the quietest of them all and that isn't quiet my friend.

Read the Dell forums and see the comments on the noise and the fans.

>"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry to disagree with you. I have had nothing but Dell's for years
>> and years. I have gotten VERY FEW that are not noisy. I just received
>> a new 8400 and it is noisy as h..ll. The fans in them are the cheapest
>> and are noisy. If you are capable of replacing the fan with a quieter
>> one then that helps. Be aware anytime you replace a part with a non
>> Dell product you void the warranty.
>>
>> I am sitting here listening to the roar of mine as I type.
>>

>Two minor corrections: changing the fan (or adding/changing any other
>component in the system) does NOT void the warranty, unless one were to
>point to some failure directly caused by that component - and I can't
>imagine that happens much, or that anyone would admit it if it did occur.
>
>Secondly, fan noise is relative to the users' sensitivity to same. The 8400
>is as quiet as a morgue compared to my homebuilt system.
>
>Stew

November 16, 2004 9:12:56 PM

fair enough mate- each to their own

my exp. is with the GX260 corporate stuff and i still rate it

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry to disagree with you. I have had nothing but Dell's for years
> and years. I have gotten VERY FEW that are not noisy. I just received
> a new 8400 and it is noisy as h..ll. The fans in them are the cheapest
> and are noisy. If you are capable of replacing the fan with a quieter
> one then that helps. Be aware anytime you replace a part with a non
> Dell product you void the warranty.
>
> I am sitting here listening to the roar of mine as I type.
>

> >Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
> >should be avoided as they get very warm
> >and so will need more cooling
> >
> >the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an
office
> >environment
> >
> >they are a basic 2.something P4 model
> >
> >i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow
> >
> >on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a
quiet
> >pc is to get a dell
> >rather than customise something else
> >
> >also the case design helps
> >
> >i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never
thought
> >anything of them
> >but once i've used on it convinced me
> >

> >"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> >8400.
> >> Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> >> compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
Gateway,
> >or
> >> HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
> >>
> >> Thanx,
> >> Key Bored

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 9:12:57 PM

> fair enough mate- each to their own
>
> my exp. is with the GX260 corporate stuff and i still rate it

<snip>

My bigger point was not the technical aspects of the decibel levels, but of
any given users' sensitivity to noise.

It's apparent to me that variable speed fans irritate quite a few people,
and when the fans aren't operating right they can be noisy for nearly
everyone.

Stew
November 16, 2004 11:12:27 PM

tellme wrote:
> What bios are you using? The new A03 is supposed to make them quieter.
> Mine is very noisy. I have had 6 Dell's recently and ALL are noisy.
> This one is the quietest of them all and that isn't quiet my friend.

Modern HDDs have an acoustic setting. I have mine set for "performance",
but you could opt for "quiet".

Where is your 8400? Desktop or under desk? It's a lot louder on the
desktop, of course.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 5:31:35 AM

tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<mrckp0tpm0mk6qk4hac0rk9sc9nkq85rmg@4ax.com>...

> Read the Dell forums and see the comments on the noise and the fans.

I read the Dell forum and found this:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20041111A1001.html

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19647

Maybe this is the problem ?!?
I have two new Dimension 8400 and both fans are very noisy, always run
with the same speed, whether the CPU is idle (air flow is cool) or for
one hour under stress at 100% (air flow is very hot).
I replaced the fans twice, without success !!
I have installed BIOS A03 - i thought it became quieter!!
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 3:05:29 PM

>Maybe this is the problem ?!?
>I have two new Dimension 8400 and both fans are very noisy, always run
>with the same speed, whether the CPU is idle (air flow is cool) or for
>one hour under stress at 100% (air flow is very hot).
>I replaced the fans twice, without success !!
>I have installed BIOS A03 - i thought it became quieter!!

Defective heatsinks
November 17, 2004 9:40:03 PM

Mine is set for performance. I just upgraded last night to the A03 and
really do not notice aNy difference.

I have it under the desk area but last night padded the wall area
behind the tower and it seems to have made it a bit quieter.

>tellme wrote:
>> What bios are you using? The new A03 is supposed to make them quieter.
>> Mine is very noisy. I have had 6 Dell's recently and ALL are noisy.
>> This one is the quietest of them all and that isn't quiet my friend.
>
>Modern HDDs have an acoustic setting. I have mine set for "performance",
>but you could opt for "quiet".
>
>Where is your 8400? Desktop or under desk? It's a lot louder on the
>desktop, of course.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 3:55:25 AM

Henning <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message news:<a3cmp0tqs7pji8oosh0ecqqb2jppbeo54t@4ax.com>...
> >Maybe this is the problem ?!?
> >I have two new Dimension 8400 and both fans are very noisy, always run
> >with the same speed, whether the CPU is idle (air flow is cool) or for
> >one hour under stress at 100% (air flow is very hot).
> >I replaced the fans twice, without success !!
> >I have installed BIOS A03 - i thought it became quieter!!
>
> Defective heatsinks

What is the different between a defective and a functioning heatsink?
I mean, the heatsink is a piece of metall, what did a defective
heatsink not do. Everything is cold in the first minutes - there is
none warms to exhaust - why does the fan runs so fast!?!

Can you explain "defective heatsinks" ?
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 6:56:05 AM

> Henning <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
>> >Maybe this is the problem ?!?
>> >I have two new Dimension 8400 and both fans are very noisy, always run
>> >with the same speed, whether the CPU is idle (air flow is cool) or for
>> >one hour under stress at 100% (air flow is very hot).
>> >I replaced the fans twice, without success !!
>> >I have installed BIOS A03 - i thought it became quieter!!
>>
>> Defective heatsinks
>
> What is the different between a defective and a functioning heatsink?
> I mean, the heatsink is a piece of metall, what did a defective
> heatsink not do. Everything is cold in the first minutes - there is
> none warms to exhaust - why does the fan runs so fast!?!
>
> Can you explain "defective heatsinks" ?

If for some reason the bottom of the passive heatsink were bent (or if the
HS was not locked/seated fully flush) then that lack of uniform contact
could allow the CPU to heat almost immediately.

I think that is what was meant.

Stew
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:51:02 PM

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Henning <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
>> >Maybe this is the problem ?!?
>> >I have two new Dimension 8400 and both fans are very noisy, always run
>> >with the same speed, whether the CPU is idle (air flow is cool) or for
>> >one hour under stress at 100% (air flow is very hot).
>> >I replaced the fans twice, without success !!
>> >I have installed BIOS A03 - i thought it became quieter!!
>>
>> Defective heatsinks
>
> What is the different between a defective and a functioning heatsink?
> I mean, the heatsink is a piece of metall, what did a defective
> heatsink not do. Everything is cold in the first minutes - there is
> none warms to exhaust - why does the fan runs so fast!?!
>
> Can you explain "defective heatsinks" ?

My guess is the OP meant improperly seated heatsink which would prevent
proper cooling of the CPU.
Dell makes a good machine, but UPS can sure knock parts loose in shipping.
Built a system for my brother and shipped it to him in NY once. Double boxed
and 10" air pack and UPS managed to knock the CPU out of the ZIF Socket with
the lever still in the locked position upon arrival.

I say if they are 2 NEW Dells have them send someone out to correct the
problem or replace the systems.
!