obsolete233

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
So now with the introduction of the T-bre core has AMD stopped production of the Palamino cores? Meaning there will be no new "steppings" of the Palamino models? Or are they continuing to build some of the lower speed versions on the old process?
If you were going to build a new system and did not want to pay the premium for the flagship 2200+ should you look for a T-Bred 1800+ or a Palamino 1800+. I was also considering a MP over the XP as I heard that the MP has a factory unlocked multiplier. I was thinking that I could use a lower multiplier and run at 166FSB with DDR333 RAM without stressing the CPU and having to use a noisy HSF. Opinions?

eden

Champion
For starters, there will be Tbreds 1700+ also. Spending on an MP just because it is unlocked is lazy and will cost you more.
I think they will start phasing out Palominos soon, since it's not any more beneficial for AMD to waste wafers.
Better wait for the Tbred 1700+.
OR, a 1.6A with Retail Fan OCed to 2.4GHZ would be also silent and well performing!

--
Meow

obsolete233

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
Yes it might be lazy and a waste of money but I question my ability to do the unlocking trick. If the chip goes to crap I'm sure I couldn't return it with super-glue and window defogger paint all over it. Does the unlocking trick work with the new cores and is it all that difficult for a first-timer?