misbehaving floppy drive

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
i just rearranged my components in my pc and now my floppy drive does not work (floppy drive failed(40)) I've tried a different drive so i know it's not the drive, but i'm not sure what it could be. The power light goes on and stays constantly lit while my computer is on, not sure why that is, what do you guys think?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have one end or both ends of the cable backwards. Probably the drive end, the red stripe faces the right side of the drive, not the left side like IDE devices.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
still doesn't work, i flipped the cable on the drive end both ways and it doesn't work, the motherboard end only goes in one way because of a tab that goes into a slot. Not sure what the problem is or why the activity light stays constantly lit, damn floppy drives.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a keyed cable? GREAT! The tab faces downward on the drive. Funny thing too, since not all drives have the tab slot. Anyway, the ends of the cable have to be at the proper places too-the end without the flip goes into the motherboard, the end with the flip goes to the floppy, the A:\ drive goes after the flip.

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Had the same problem once, just like Crashman said youre cable is not connected properly.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like he said, one end of the cable has a few of the wires twisted over. That end goes to the drive with the red strip facing into the case if it's a standard Tower layout. AKA the right side of the drive (on the left if you're looking at the back of the drive).