Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Do you Prefer Wireless network setups, for a home using 5-6 Pc's, or a non-Wireless Setup.. Cable Service.. With a lapTop how far can you actually go with the wirless setup??

Thank, Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Non-wireless is preferable, but if physical logistics (running the cables) is a nightmare then go with wireless. Not sure how far "outside" I can go because I haven't tested it yet but I have my WAP in the basement and I have no problem on the 2nd floor.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Wired networking is still far better that wireless.
It’s faster and more stable.

Personally I mixed the two using 100mb Cat-5 to connect everything I could, and then used wireless for a laptop and a hard to reach PC. The range is very good (about 200 feet through a thick concrete wall about 800 feet in open air), but the speed drops quickly over distance.

Please visit: <A HREF="http://www.is2k.com" target="_new">http://www.is2k.com</A>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea, thats what i figured, i have a wired network now and everything works great..i was thinking about buying a lapTop to hook up WIRELESS.. but i don't have a Wirless Router. the router i have now is hooked up already to my other PC's...if i want to have my laptop to be hooked up with wireless internet..is there a way to have both the routers hooked up at the same time..

later, ROB

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
You get a WAP (Wireless Access Point) instead of a wireless router. Then you just hook the WAP up to one of the ports on your router and it becomes another device on the lan, serving 802.11b

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I got the Linksys WAP11 for about $150. I've got to say I had a bunch of trouble getting it to work with my Springport Ethernet module for my Visor. It worked great with my laptop. A recent firmware upgrade finally fixed that problem. So as of right now I would recommend it.