Sign in with
Your question

OSX Malware Currently Circulating

Last response: in Mac Os X
May 15, 2011 2:05:43 PM

For those who believe OSX is immune from malware (etc), http://www.reedcorner.net/news.php/?p=138

For various reasons OSX is rapidly becoming a target for malicious code, unfortunately the Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware tools available to us OSX users aren't as mature as those available to the Windows/PC users.
May 16, 2011 2:56:05 AM

JustSomeJoe said:
For those who believe OSX is immune from malware (etc), http://www.reedcorner.net/news.php/?p=138

For various reasons OSX is rapidly becoming a target for malicious code, unfortunately the Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware tools available to us OSX users aren't as mature as those available to the Windows/PC users.
Use Clam Xva an anti virus free app for mac users.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 16, 2011 11:27:10 AM

I've already cleaned that crap off a Mac. Hint: Single User Mode. Try the free Sophos AV software.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 17, 2011 6:33:29 PM

I currently have Clam XAV installed (on test); also tried Sophos AV (free version) a while back, ended-up re-installing OSX to get rid of it, had no end of problems.

OSX AV products seem to be a mixed bunch, what one person swears by another will swear at!
May 22, 2011 2:58:13 AM

Quote:
I've already cleaned that crap off a Mac. Hint: Single User Mode. Try the free Sophos AV software.
Why is Clam Xva crap? Think before you post!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 22, 2011 11:45:02 AM

I didn't say Clam Xva was crap, I said Mac Defender was crap since I was replying to the OP.Think before you post!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 23, 2011 11:51:38 AM

Huh???
May 25, 2011 12:35:11 AM

Apple just announced they are working on a software update for OSX and Safari to deal with Mac Defender.
They also posted specific instructions on how to remove it from your system if you already have it and don't want to wait for the update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4650
May 25, 2011 8:20:07 PM

As usual, the free software for security is a bad idea.
Follow the manufacturer instructions if possible:

In the days since its discovery, Apple has acknowledged the threat is real, and the company is reportedly hard at work on an update that will remove the software. Until then, the Mac makers have posted a handy removal guide for those who prefer to take matters into their own hands. Follow the steps below — straight from Apple — to remove Mac Defender and make sure your computer is clean.

Move or close the Scan Window
Go to the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and launch Activity Monitor
Choose All Processes from the pop up menu in the upper right corner of the window
Under the Process Name column, look for the name of the app and click to select it; common app names include: MacDefender, MacSecurity or MacProtector
Click the Quit Process button in the upper left corner of the window and select Quit
Quit Activity Monitor application
Open the Applications folder
Locate the app ex. MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector or other name
Drag to Trash, and empty Trash
Open System Preferences, select Accounts, then Login Items
Select the name of the app you removed in the steps above ex. MacDefender, MacSecurity, MacProtector
Click the minus button

Upon completing these steps, your Mac should be completely free of the program.

Apple via VentureBeat
May 26, 2011 4:10:35 AM

Quote:
I didn't say Clam Xva was crap, I said Mac Defender was crap since I was replying to the OP.Think before you post!
Don't get so tied up in all knots.Sorry life is to short for that okay?
a b 8 Security
May 26, 2011 7:38:32 PM

I'd agree with that. It was only a matter of time before the nasty guys started targetting OS X. I think that it's going to prove very rich pickings for them until some Apple users take their heads out of the sand and realize that it's not just Windows that can suffer from malware.
May 29, 2011 2:51:49 AM

Now I read on the PC Magazine website this might be coming from Russian hackers creating this malware.You just have to very careful now.
June 1, 2011 7:53:25 PM

JustSomeJoe:

Agree. I am a Windows convert. MacBook Pro 15" 7i SSD. Best computer I've ever owned. Love the software and ease of access to apps. SSD makes it even slicker.

I am concerned with virus/malware...only a matter of time. Mac users are a fertile field for these maniacs & crooks and now many are state sponsored.

In any event, do the commercial programs work? Many comments I've read suggest the commercial virus software does more damage than benefit. All of those comments have a tone of "don't admit a problem cause you'll tick off the gods", "don't give into the "man"" and "if you have to pay for protection, you're part of the problem".

I want my great computer & software, but want protection also. Non-cult reponses appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

DellConvert
a b 8 Security
June 1, 2011 7:58:51 PM

Do you lock your house? Do you insure it?

Protecting your assets does not make you part of the problem.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 1, 2011 10:17:02 PM

acekaroo said:
JustSomeJoe:

Agree. I am a Windows convert. MacBook Pro 15" 7i SSD. Best computer I've ever owned. Love the software and ease of access to apps. SSD makes it even slicker.

I am concerned with virus/malware...only a matter of time. Mac users are a fertile field for these maniacs & crooks and now many are state sponsored.

In any event, do the commercial programs work? Many comments I've read suggest the commercial virus software does more damage than benefit. All of those comments have a tone of "don't admit a problem cause you'll tick off the gods", "don't give into the "man"" and "if you have to pay for protection, you're part of the problem".

I want my great computer & software, but want protection also. Non-cult reponses appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

DellConvert

Try the free Sophos AV software.
June 2, 2011 3:40:43 AM

Try using ClamXva which is a free anti virus program and it is good. Especially for Mac users.
a b 8 Security
a b è Antivirus
June 2, 2011 8:46:34 PM

Grumpy are you seeing the increase in the infections on the macs?

My co-worker Mike said he had issues with something on his mac,i'll let him know about sophos av!

Thanks Grumpy!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 2, 2011 9:51:47 PM

I've only seen 1 infected Mac so far.
June 3, 2011 3:31:05 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Grumpy are you seeing the increase in the infections on the macs?

My co-worker Mike said he had issues with something on his mac,i'll let him know about sophos av!

Thanks Grumpy!
Really I have not heard about any trojans on my friends mac computers.
June 3, 2011 4:39:28 AM

Be careful with things like Sophos (& Norton), they can conflict with TimeMachine, they also run services (including update) with root access and can leave you more vulnerable, there are several threads over on MacRumours discussing the the hazards of this.

TBH the best form of defence at the moment is a fresh installation of common sense (with regular updates).
June 4, 2011 1:17:50 PM

JustSomeJoe said:
Be careful with things like Sophos (& Norton), they can conflict with TimeMachine, they also run services (including update) with root access and can leave you more vulnerable, there are several threads over on MacRumours discussing the the hazards of this.

TBH the best form of defence at the moment is a fresh installation of common sense (with regular updates).
Good answer exactly.Use your brains
June 25, 2011 1:49:55 PM

acekaroo said:
JustSomeJoe:

Thank you in advance.

DellConvert
Try using Clam Xva is works and it is free also.
!