Author: Ryan Shrout
Date: Sat, Jun 15, 2002
Subject: Overclocking
Manufacturer: AMD

Let the Games Begin

When I published my Athlon XP 2200+ review last Monday I never could have imagined the ruckus that it would have caused. After a couple weeks of toying, I was able to overclock my test processor faster than most other published reviews. Some reported maximum overclocks of only 25-30 MHz while others got up above the 2.0 GHz mark. My Thoroughbred 2200+ processor, which has a stock speed of 1.8 GHz, was able to reach a 2.16 GHz, a 360 MHz increase.

I’ll admit that when I began to hear of others overclocking results while I was with Patrick of The Screen Savers on Monday, I had lots of questions. But, I couldn’t doubt what I had seen and what the processor had done, so I decided I would simply do more investigation on this new Thoroughbred core. That is the basis for this very article.
from <A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=188&PageID=1" target="_new">amdbd</A>

there was an OC'ing issue for the THG TBred sample because of its 0144 series number which is indicated on the cpu <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020610/index.html" target="_new">picture</A> and thus its immaturity. the TBred here has a 0162 series number.

also it is possible at all and realistic than the next Thoroughbred series would be more and more overclockable. this would involve moreover a better start out for the next Barton cpu.

ADD-ON:
-------

<b>Athlon XP 2200+ Overclocking</b>

The most interesting part of reviewing a new processor core (especially one that is also a die shrink) is finding out exactly how much overclocking headroom it has. In terms of overclocking options, the Athlon XP Thoroughbred is virtually identical to previous models. The infamous L2 bridges are alive and well, and although our review chips came without the laser marks, we chose to go the FSB route to match what a retail buyer would experience. The option still exists to link the bridges, but using a 1 MHz FSB increment also helps us get a better idea on its high-end overclocking potential.

On the surface, the 0.13-micron Thoroughbred would seem to have a lot of overclocking potential, but the actual results were a bit disappointing. If you're thinking of buying the Athlon XP 2200+ for overclocking purposes, then stop right where you are. The highest reliable core speed we could get was 1931 MHz using a 143 MHz FSB and a core voltage of 1.775V. You may be looking at the core voltage and wondering why we didn't use 1.8V or higher, and that would illustrate the main problem we had when overclocking.

All overclocking exercises are a give and take between core speed, voltage and overall heat levels and stability. The Athlon XP Thoroughbred took this to a whole new plane, as even slight voltage increases would ramp up core heat quite noticeably (like you had crossed a line in the sand), while lowering the overall overclock speed. Finding a happy medium is a tedious and extremely long-term process, and even hitting over 1.9 GHz took a whole lot of tweaking. For all testing we used a Vantec copper HSF, a 7000 RPM fan and Arctic Silver 3, and it was still tough going at some points.

A by-product of the newer, smaller core is that there is simply less core real estate to work with, thus less coverage using a heatsink. This isn't really a concern with the Pentium 4, as Intel's S478 heat-spreader is the same size regardless of the actual die. We had some questions regarding this and apparently this is one of the reasons why the thermal requirements remain very similar for the higher-end Athlon XP Thoroughbred models. The lower-speed Athlon XP 1700+ (1.5V) is a nice improvement over the Athlon XP Palomino, but once we hit the Athlon XP 2200+ and its 1.65V requirement, the thermal specs start getting a lot closer to the Palomino.

<b>There are improvements with the Thoroughbred, but don't go in thinking of a super cool-running processor, as you will need a heavy-duty HSF and any further voltage increases for overclocking will drive the heat higher. These results got us concerned about the overall viability of the AMD 0.13-micron core, and exactly how the company expects to move above the 1.8 GHz level for upcoming models. We had the same questions regarding the Duron 1 GHz, and as in that case, we are pretty sure a new Thoroughbred core revision is in the works that'll allow higher speeds.</b>

from <A HREF="http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_1363691__8" target="_new">sharkyextreme</A>

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by corsair3200 on 06/20/02 00:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

The_MaguS

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have said that before in another thread, this could be a possibility that the TBred sample from THG was a deficient one for overclocking because of its immaturity

AMD is turning their backs on overclockers and ethusist, cash in your chips!

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Man, when I saw your all caps title, I thought you were AMDMELTDOWM.

I hope this is true, but I'll only believe it when I see it myself.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At the end of the article he basically states that it is a bad assumption that one could reliably expect to get to 2GHz with a T-bred. If you read through the article you find that he got a broad range in overclockability even between two processors that seemed to have been right next to each other in production. Doesn't get my hopes up unfortunately.

short note: by the way, have you seen yourself the THG sample?

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

what are you talking about?!?

i have only brought here a Today TBred overclocking review.

<i>i think you don't like AMD, isn't it? :lol: </i>

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

only a slightly sarcastic comment: who is melted down?

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

If you read through the article you find that he got a broad range in overclockability even between two processors that seemed to have been right next to each other in production. Doesn't get my hopes up unfortunately.
thanks to put forward this point.
if a "broad" overclocking is possible between 2 next processors, what would it be with the first series of the production and the other next series?
i think that al contrario, it is very hopefully.

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

the tbred's are just samples and to work out the bugs of the .13 micron process. I hear they have barton samples already!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

eden

Champion
Yeah but certainly no Juin!

BTW Mfud seemed to have many personal PC questions, so I had doubts of him being labdog...unless the dog himself admitted it?

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

would you give me some accurateness about all those guys (juin,labdog,dog,mf...)?

that seems to be funny. thanks.

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile:

would you give me some accurateness about all those guys (juin,labdog,dog,mf...)?

that seems to be fun. thanks.

:smile: i like toasted cpus but not AMD-inside. :smile: