Power up laptop with lid closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimagami

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hello,
i have a dell studio 1735 and im wondering is there a way to start the laptop up with the lid closed i have it connected to a lcd screen and just wanna save some desk space and have it leaning up againt my pc case vertical rather then space consuming horizontal but as to boot laptop musthave lid open to get side button to work.

Solution
Well in your case I will have to tell you that it is not possible. Typically you must lift the screen up to gain access to the power button for most laptops anyway.

In this case the screen must be opened to prevent the laptop from being accidentally turned on.

Shimagami

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
@jaguarskx-oh ah heck owell.

@4745454b-Nah thats not what i really wanted (allready have it set to do nothing with lid closed) i just wanted it that didnt have to open it to turn it on.

G

if you connect a mouse or keyboard to your laptop you can start it with those

kufta007

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Shimagami,
I imagine you've given up on this long ago after selecting "it's impossible" as the "best answer" that you got. I recently wanted to do this too, so in case you're still looking, or anyone else is searching the interwebs for an answer here's what I did:
You'll need a wired connection to your network and an Android or iPhone/iPad

Boot into your BIOS and find an option for Wake On LAN (WOL). Make sure it's enabled. In the case of my laptop it only works on wired ethernet, which is fine. Also, I have an option to make it only work when on AC power (which is great because I don't want to slowly drain battery power when transporting/storing my laptop).
Boot ino Windows and record your MAC address. You can get it by clicking the Window key on your keyboard + R, in the window that pops up type "cmd" (obviously without the quotes). And in the black window that pops up type "getmac" [hit enter]. If you see 2 different MAC addresses you can determine the correct one by paying attention to which one says "media disconnected." You want the wired network, so if you are connected to your home wifi (not LAN) you want the one that says "media disconnected." If you're on the wired network and your wifi is off ignore the one that says "media disconnected."
Make sure your network card is set properly in Windows to allow Wake On LAN. Open the device manager (right click "My Computer", then click "manage." In the new window select "Device Manager" on the left, then under "Network Adapters" on the right doubleclick the one that refers to your LAN network card (ignore anything that says "a/b/g/n" or "wireless" or anything like that).
Under the Advanced tab find and click either "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Magic Packet" then set the value to "Enabled." Then under the "Power Management" tab check all three options. Click OK.
On your smartphone/tablet: Make sure your phone/tablet connects to your home wifi. Get an app to send your computer a magic packet. On Android some options are "Wake on LAN" or "WOL Wake on Lan Wan." On iPhone "Mocha WOL." Enter the MAC address you recorded earlier in the correct field in the app. If you look at a screenshot of the app before downloading/installing you can confirm the proper format of the MAC address (MAC addresses use formats in which characters are separated by colons, dashes, nothing, or sometimes even periods). Make sure you use the correct format. If it asks for an IP address usually giving 192.168.1.255 is great because it makes sure your router sends to your computer no matter what IP address your home network gives it.

Now you're ready to test. Shutdown your computer. Plug in the network cable and power! Naturally you'll probably also want to use a Monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Confirm you have blinking lights near the network cable on your laptop. If not this may not work. Open the app on your smartphone and send to your device. Tada! You're all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.