P4 1.6a or XP 1700+ for audio composing?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
which do you guys think would be a better alternative for systems that will be used exclusively for midi/cakewalk/cubase music composition type stuff?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

eden

Champion
Are you thinking of overclocking?
1.6A will easily be your friend, doing the audio composing and encoding in much less time at 2.4GHZ.

If you are not overclocking, the XP1700 costs less, and is a good 10% better at audio comp. Save your money, so you could try to get some better audio components!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
i think either processor will be fine,

I use a XP 1900+ in my work which tends to be using Cubase and Soundforge...all works well

be sure to have plenty of RAM, 512Mb is a mimimum for good audio work :)

<font color=red>FUDweiser......True</font color=red>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The P4 is superior to AMD in multimedia. The 1.6A is a great choice and it has nothing to do with overclocking. The P4 1.6a is a very strong CPU and has SSE2 multimedia extensions, 512k cache, .13 micron technology.

Lots of new P4 motherboards to choose from.

Whats your budget?

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i can go up to ~$130 per mobo. what would you suggest? i was thinking possibly the ABit BD-7 or a giga-byte board rather than the intel board which i was gonna get.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, what Mat says says it in a nutshell.

XP 1700 will outperform or closely match P4 1.6A in MP3 encoding and general sound related tasks.

In MP3 encoding a PR rated Athlon XP wil outperform a P4 with similar speed in megahertz.

But it does indeed depend on the specific programs. For example, if you use a sound/media program with SSE2 enhancements the P4 may very well outperform the Athlon XP.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm..... i have no idea about sse2.... heres the card im getting for each. DSP24 MEDIA 7.1 by st audio.

eden

Champion
Problem with SSE2 is that it is just not effective or noticeable in low clocked P4s. There are very very few apps that push the SSE2 optimization far. One of them is Adobe After Effects, which pushes the 1.6A much further per clock than the AXP at the same speed, and was competing the XP2000. But these high opts are rare. (To the guy who made the topic:)And unless you do video editing with this program, a 1.6A will NOT outperform the XP1700+, even with SSE2. It might but by a very very small margin. In fact, the XP1700+ costs much less than the 1.6A. Here in Canada, the 1700+ is 145$ CDN, the 1.6A is 230$. Says a lot for price saving and performance given, no? If you want, try to get the Tbred versions, they have less heat drawn and may possibly cost less.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Starting off at the best low end, that goes to the Asus P4S533 at $100, stepping up Abit BD7-II at $115, and the full blown bells/whistels mobo for $142 is the Abit IT7

BD7-II is a great choice, for the little extra you get a Intel i845E chipset and RAID.

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
This thread seems kinda weird..
I mean, tdean asks a good question (although the answer is bleeding obvious to anyone who's seem a bench-mark in the last 500 years)
next -> a few people reply saying that the XP will beat the 1.6A UNLESS you overclock.

Then FUGGER replies saying 1.6A wipes the 1700+ out of hte game (in short recommends against everyone else).

THen tdean replies to the sole Intel salesmen, although he is possibly just going on the advice for overclocking b/c that what he intends. THEN tdean asks which board to get, and seems to state that he was getting an Intel board anyway (NOTE: Intel don't make SocketA boards *surprise*) so it appears he was always going to get an Intel chip. so why ask??

Then everyone jumps on FUGGER, when it's probably too late, to ask for proof of the 1.6A <b>EVER</b> beating the 1700+ XP in an sound/multimedia encoding test.
THEN fugger completely ignores everyone and just tells tdean which Intel boards to choose from.

WEIRD... It like some secret conspiracy that everyone knows about 'cept me.

Balzi

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well the fact that you're getting an excellant sound card means that either processor will be fine....

have you tried Cubase 5.0 yet? I'd like some opinions on it.

i'm still happy with Cubase 3.7 it does what i need, but it's always interesting to hear what the new stuff can do.

<font color=red>FUDweiser......True</font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
For the P4 1.6A, I recommend the P4S533 and some genuine Samsung PC2700. I've seen Samsung DDR reach 450MHz on a 150MHz FSB! :eek:

That thing should outperform PC1066 for cheap, if he can actually get the RAM that high. It's pretty much the luck of the draw, but 450MHz would be sweet! I currently have my Samsung DDR, but I'm still waiting for at least the BD7-II to arrive locally so I can do some comparison shopping. I still haven't decided between the P4 1.6A and 1.8A.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check any thread that I reply in, I am always attacked by the AMD zealots.

This is the norm. Thanks for noticing.

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Fatty, you ever get the feeling that what you've said has more truth in it than you expected.
Someone has absolutely got to write a movie on Forum/Troll conspiracy.

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?