[CAMPAIGN] Setup thread

NOTE: All threads related to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
campaign will (and should) be tagged with the [CAMPAIGN] thread. This
will make them easier to find for those who are interested, and easier
to filter for those who aren't.

Once the campaign is underway, I will be posting a summary of events,
fairly rarely (in real-life terms). There shouldn't be a significant
amount of clutter. If previous online campaigns are any indication, one
post monthly sounds about right.

DM: Laszlo
Players: Justisaur, Billy Yank, David Alex Lamb, tussock

The purpose of this thread is as follows:

1) Discussing the characters. Ideally, the party should be
well-rounded. Goofy characters can be great. Inntentionally
underpowered characters, however, or ones who have nothing to offer the
party, are not really ideal for this adventure.

Regarding what you can use: Basically, I'm willing to consider allowing
anything, from any source.If you want something from non-Core sources,
please discuss it with me first. I'm very likely to allow it; if I ban
something for balance reasons, I'm always willing to discuss a
compromise. If you just have a character idea in mind (not a specific
prestige class or feat or
whatever), then you can just tell me that and we'll make it work.

2) Finding a place to play. I've sent a DM application for the WotC
board: http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=278. I may or may
not get approved (it generally takes a couple of days to get a reply);
regardless, if anyone has other, better ideas, I'm all ears. I'd really
like a place that everyone can read (ruling out PBEM), and the ability
to use different text styles and colours; a lot of information (like
battle maps) can be conveyed much better with colours.

Laszlo

Decaying Atheist wrote:
> I would be interesting in jumping in, but I'm not sure what kind of
> time I would have.
> I think knowing a bit more about the setup, where we are planning on
> playing in terms
> of posting, contribution level required, etc would tell me if I should
> just sit this one out
> or if I'll have the option to join.

Well, the place where we're going to play is still under discussion. I
quite like Jasin's suggestion
(http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30).

As for contribution level: you should be able to post at least once
every 24 hours, on a regular basis. Occasional lapses are fine (summer
vacation, etc), but please try to give advance notice of such lapses.

Generally, you'll need to be able to allocate about 15-20 minutes a day
to catch up on posts, and post your actions.

> I'll start considering character options but put nothing in stone
> until I some kind of
> idea on what you guys want to do with running the game.

Sure thing.

Compared to a normal game, play-by-post has distinct advantages and
disadvantages. The first thing you'll probably notice is that things
generally go somewhat slower in play-by-post. On the other hand, it's
easier to make time for these types of games (a single lunch break, for
example, can be enough). Also, I like them because the quality of
roleplaying is often better.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> NOTE: All threads related to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
> campaign will (and should) be tagged with the [CAMPAIGN] thread. This
> will make them easier to find for those who are interested, and easier
> to filter for those who aren't.
>
> Once the campaign is underway, I will be posting a summary of events,
> fairly rarely (in real-life terms). There shouldn't be a significant
> amount of clutter. If previous online campaigns are any indication, one
> post monthly sounds about right.
>
> DM: Laszlo
> Players: Justisaur, Billy Yank, David Alex Lamb, tussock
>
> The purpose of this thread is as follows:
>
> 1) Discussing the characters. Ideally, the party should be
> well-rounded. Goofy characters can be great. Inntentionally
> underpowered characters, however, or ones who have nothing to offer the
> party, are not really ideal for this adventure.
>
> Regarding what you can use: Basically, I'm willing to consider allowing
> anything, from any source.If you want something from non-Core sources,
> please discuss it with me first. I'm very likely to allow it; if I ban
> something for balance reasons, I'm always willing to discuss a
> compromise. If you just have a character idea in mind (not a specific
> prestige class or feat or
> whatever), then you can just tell me that and we'll make it work.

Some quick info about character generation: you start with 6300 XP (300
XP past ECL 4), and 5700 GP each. You may spend the GP on anything you
like, but no single item should be worth more than 1500 gp.
Spellcasters can use their 300 extra XP to craft stuff, if they want.

Laszlo

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> NOTE: All threads related to the Return to the Temple of Elemental
> Evil
> campaign will (and should) be tagged with the [CAMPAIGN] thread.
> This
> will make them easier to find for those who are interested, and
> easier
> to filter for those who aren't.
>
> Once the campaign is underway, I will be posting a summary of
> events,
> fairly rarely (in real-life terms). There shouldn't be a significant
> amount of clutter. If previous online campaigns are any indication,
> one
> post monthly sounds about right.
>
> DM: Laszlo
> Players: Justisaur, Billy Yank, David Alex Lamb, tussock
>
> The purpose of this thread is as follows:
>
> 1) Discussing the characters. Ideally, the party should be
> well-rounded. Goofy characters can be great. Inntentionally
> underpowered characters, however, or ones who have nothing to offer
> the
> party, are not really ideal for this adventure.
>
> Regarding what you can use: Basically, I'm willing to consider
> allowing
> anything, from any source.If you want something from non-Core
> sources,
> please discuss it with me first. I'm very likely to allow it; if I
> ban
> something for balance reasons, I'm always willing to discuss a
> compromise. If you just have a character idea in mind (not a
> specific
> prestige class or feat or
> whatever), then you can just tell me that and we'll make it work.
>

> 2) Finding a place to play. I've sent a DM application for the WotC
> board: http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=278. I may or
> may
> not get approved (it generally takes a couple of days to get a
> reply);
> regardless, if anyone has other, better ideas, I'm all ears. I'd
> really
> like a place that everyone can read (ruling out PBEM), and the
> ability
> to use different text styles and colours; a lot of information (like
> battle maps) can be conveyed much better with colours.
>

> Laszlo

I would be interesting in jumping in, but I'm not sure what kind of
time I would have.
I think knowing a bit more about the setup, where we are planning on
playing in terms
of posting, contribution level required, etc would tell me if I should
just sit this one out
or if I'll have the option to join.

I'll start considering character options but put nothing in stone
until I some kind of
idea on what you guys want to do with running the game.

DA

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > NOTE: All threads related to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
> > campaign will (and should) be tagged with the [CAMPAIGN] thread. This
> > will make them easier to find for those who are interested, and easier
> > to filter for those who aren't.
> >
> > Once the campaign is underway, I will be posting a summary of events,
> > fairly rarely (in real-life terms). There shouldn't be a significant
> > amount of clutter. If previous online campaigns are any indication, one
> > post monthly sounds about right.
> >
> > DM: Laszlo
> > Players: Justisaur, Billy Yank, David Alex Lamb, tussock
> >
> > The purpose of this thread is as follows:
> >
> > 1) Discussing the characters. Ideally, the party should be
> > well-rounded. Goofy characters can be great. Inntentionally
> > underpowered characters, however, or ones who have nothing to offer the
> > party, are not really ideal for this adventure.

I'd like to play a Kobold, some variation of wizard or sorcerer, or
possibly a warlock, I just saw those the other day, and they looked
interesting. - and I'm interested in the wildmage PRC from complete
arcane I think. Do you have any house rules that would affect this I
would need to know about? Would you consider dropping the Con penalty
for PCs (like 3.0)?

> > Regarding what you can use: Basically, I'm willing to consider allowing
> > anything, from any source.If you want something from non-Core sources,
> > please discuss it with me first. I'm very likely to allow it; if I ban
> > something for balance reasons, I'm always willing to discuss a
> > compromise. If you just have a character idea in mind (not a specific
> > prestige class or feat or
> > whatever), then you can just tell me that and we'll make it work.
>
> Some quick info about character generation: you start with 6300 XP (300
> XP past ECL 4), and 5700 GP each. You may spend the GP on anything you
> like, but no single item should be worth more than 1500 gp.
> Spellcasters can use their 300 extra XP to craft stuff, if they want.

How are we generating ability scores?

- Justisaur

In article <1120257772.602130.89020@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:
>Some quick info about character generation: you start with 6300 XP (300
>XP past ECL 4), and 5700 GP each. You may spend the GP on anything you
>like, but no single item should be worth more than 1500 gp.
>Spellcasters can use their 300 extra XP to craft stuff, if they want.

Elite array for abilities?

We're not supposed to know too much about the setting, but I presume from the
title we're expecting to face a lot of Evil creatures. So my first thought
for a character was a Paladin -- thankfully, Jeff isn't running, so I am
guessing I might not have to face his "nobody can run a Paladin properly"
standards. I'd be quite happy to negotiate something else based on what the
party decides it needs.

Any other potential characters?

"Repent !" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" replied. Then he added:

> Some quick info about character generation: you start with 6300 XP (300
> XP past ECL 4), and 5700 GP each. You may spend the GP on anything you
> like, but no single item should be worth more than 1500 gp.
> Spellcasters can use their 300 extra XP to craft stuff, if they want.

I'll download a chargen program and start playing around with some
concepts. BTW, this is my first 3.x game so if I do something stupid in my
chargen, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

"Repent David Alex Lamb!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" David Alex
Lamb replied. Then he added:

> Any other potential characters?

I wouldn't mind playing the cleric. This is Greyhawk, so standard gods,
right?

--

In article <1120251985.880789.196200@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

> 2) Finding a place to play. I've sent a DM application for the WotC
> board: http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=278. I may or may
> not get approved (it generally takes a couple of days to get a reply);
> regardless, if anyone has other, better ideas, I'm all ears. I'd really
> like a place that everyone can read (ruling out PBEM), and the ability
> to use different text styles and colours; a lot of information (like
> battle maps) can be conveyed much better with colours.

I think the PBP forums on RPGnet has less strict rules, both for
starting a game and for the level of graphicness that is tolerated...

http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> In article <1120257772.602130.89020@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:
> >Some quick info about character generation: you start with 6300 XP (300
> >XP past ECL 4), and 5700 GP each. You may spend the GP on anything you
> >like, but no single item should be worth more than 1500 gp.
> >Spellcasters can use their 300 extra XP to craft stuff, if they want.
>
> Elite array for abilities?

No, 32-point buy (DMG, page 169).

> We're not supposed to know too much about the setting, but I presume from the
> title we're expecting to face a lot of Evil creatures.

Yep.

> So my first thought
> for a character was a Paladin -- thankfully, Jeff isn't running, so I am
> guessing I might not have to face his "nobody can run a Paladin properly"
> standards. I'd be quite happy to negotiate something else based on what the
> party decides it needs.

A Paladin sounds good, as long as you can ignore Jeff.

Laszlo

Billy Yank wrote:
> "Repent David Alex Lamb!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" David Alex
> Lamb replied. Then he added:
>
> > Any other potential characters?
>
> I wouldn't mind playing the cleric. This is Greyhawk, so standard gods,
> right?

Correct. For those who are unfamiliar with the Greyhawk gods, here's a
list:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dreadwood/research/deities.htm

Laszlo

Justisaur wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > > NOTE: All threads related to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
> > > campaign will (and should) be tagged with the [CAMPAIGN] thread. This
> > > will make them easier to find for those who are interested, and easier
> > > to filter for those who aren't.
> > >
> > > Once the campaign is underway, I will be posting a summary of events,
> > > fairly rarely (in real-life terms). There shouldn't be a significant
> > > amount of clutter. If previous online campaigns are any indication, one
> > > post monthly sounds about right.
> > >
> > > DM: Laszlo
> > > Players: Justisaur, Billy Yank, David Alex Lamb, tussock
> > >
> > > The purpose of this thread is as follows:
> > >
> > > 1) Discussing the characters. Ideally, the party should be
> > > well-rounded. Goofy characters can be great. Inntentionally
> > > underpowered characters, however, or ones who have nothing to offer the
> > > party, are not really ideal for this adventure.
> > >

> I'd like to play a Kobold, some variation of wizard or sorcerer, or
> possibly a warlock, I just saw those the other day, and they looked
> interesting. - and I'm interested in the wildmage PRC from complete
> arcane I think. Do you have any house rules that would affect this I
> would need to know about?

Yes. One house rule, specifically for wild mages: the 1d6-3 caster
level modification when casting is to be applied after _all_ other
modifications. In other words, Practiced Spellcaster doesn't combo with
Wild Mage.

And some rules interpretations for spells in general:

Alter Self: No winged humanoids exist, for the purposes of this spell.

Polymorph: You cannot polymorph into a creature larger than one size
category above your own (Large for humans, Medium for kobolds). If your
Polymorphed shape is larger than your natural shape, Polymorph counts
as a magical effect that increases size, and thus doesn't stack with
Enlarge Person or Animal Growth.

All shapechanging spells: you can only shapechange into forms you are
familiar with. Encountering a creature is enough. Researching it in a
library (which may take some time) is also acceptable.

At the beginning of the adventure, you're assumed to be familiar with
all animals (normal and dire), and all creaures of CR 4 or lower in the
Monster Manual.

> Would you consider dropping the Con penalty
> for PCs (like 3.0)?

Hmm... yes, that seems fair.

> How are we generating ability scores?

32-point buy.

Max hit points at level one; at further levels, you may choose to roll,
or take the average, rounded up.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Billy Yank wrote:
> > "Repent David Alex Lamb!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" David Alex
> > Lamb replied. Then he added:
> >
> > > Any other potential characters?
> >
> > I wouldn't mind playing the cleric. This is Greyhawk, so standard gods,
> > right?
>
> Correct. For those who are unfamiliar with the Greyhawk gods, here's a
> list:
>
> http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dreadwood/research/deities.htm

Or, you know, Player's Handbook page 106.

D'oh.

Laszlo

tussock wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > NOTE: All threads related to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
> > campaign will (and should) be tagged with the [CAMPAIGN] thread. This
> > will make them easier to find for those who are interested, and easier
> > to filter for those who aren't.
>
> Putting it at the end of the subject line might make various
> programs replies hang onto it a bit more reliably.

Good point, will do.

> > Regarding what you can use: Basically, I'm willing to consider allowing
> > anything, from any source.If you want something from non-Core sources,
> > please discuss it with me first. I'm very likely to allow it; if I ban
> > something for balance reasons, I'm always willing to discuss a
> > compromise. If you just have a character idea in mind (not a specific
> > prestige class or feat or whatever), then you can just tell me that
> > and we'll make it work.
>
> Savage Species alright? Hmm, ECL 3 is perhaps a bit low for an Ogre
> or Bugbear Rogue.

You start at ECL 4. There's a lot of overpowered stuff in Savage
Species, so tread lightly there. The Ogre is fine, though.

> How's the module setting suited to the various
> humanoid races?

Not a problem. You can expect some unpleasant reactions from friendlies
at first if you're an Orc or (especially) an Ogre, but nothing
insurmountable. Think Drizzt Do'Urden.

> More improtantly, what's the adventure hook? It's easier to build a
> character if I know why the party's together, and what our main goal
> will be (other than preventing the coming of a great Evil, if I remember
> my jaunt in the original).

At the beginning of the adventure, you will be completely oblivious to
any "great evil". I'll probably have you guys arrive at Hommlet (now a
peaceful, bustling little town) at sundown, unless anyone gives me
background info I can fashion a tasty plot hook out of. (Perhaps
someone could have a relative living in Hommlet, for instance.)

By default, I'd also like you to have already formed at least a
tentative travelling and/or adventuring group; my experience is that
everyone tends to be bored by the obligatory "let's get everyone in the
same party" bits in the beginning.

Again, this is all negotiable, and a lot will depend on your
backstories. All I'm expecting is for you all to be willing to
adventure; anything beyond that is gravy (but gravy that I can possibly
use to make the adventure more fun).

> Ugh. Too many character builds I've been looking to try, Gnome Bard
> (as Enchanter), Dwarf Barbarian (as Battle Rager), Goblin Druid (as
> Wolf-rider), ....
>
> > 2) Finding a place to play.
>
> rpg.net looks to run the same software as wizards.com, but with a
> more sensible set of dos and don'ts (IMO). Want to take this over there
> and post a link to the thread?

Just looking at the thread requires registration, which is a bit much,
I think, since I'd like to have people commenting on the setup and
rules, if they want (like Decaying Atheist did).

I think it would be best to move over when we're ready to start
playing. Character and house-rule discussion is still charterrific
here.

Laszlo

tussock wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Justisaur wrote:
> >>
> >>I'd like to play a Kobold, some variation of wizard or sorcerer, or
> >>possibly a warlock, I just saw those the other day, and they looked
> >>interesting. - and I'm interested in the wildmage PRC from complete
> >>arcane I think. Do you have any house rules that would affect this I
> >>would need to know about?
> <snip>
> > And some rules interpretations for spells in general:
> >
> > Polymorph: You cannot polymorph into a creature larger than one size
> > category above your own (Large for humans, Medium for kobolds). If your
> > Polymorphed shape is larger than your natural shape, Polymorph counts
> > as a magical effect that increases size, and thus doesn't stack with
> > Enlarge Person or Animal Growth.
>
> Excellent. A further nerf I've used is that stat increases from
> polymorph count as enhancement bonuses, and so don't stack with various
> other ways of increasing stats. Particularly seems a good idea now that
> Con changes officially modify HPs.

Meh, I don't think that's necessary. The Con change to HP is less
useful than it seems at first glance, since they're not like temporary
hit points; damage is damage, and if a Polymorphed mage changes back
with more damage on him than he can normally take, he's gone.

Polymorph is meant to be a powerful and versatile spell, and I don't
have a problem with that. IME the "knowledge" and the size restrictions
keep it under control.

> > All shapechanging spells: you can only shapechange into forms you are
> > familiar with. Encountering a creature is enough. Researching it in a
> > library (which may take some time) is also acceptable.
>
> Knowledge skills (and associated monster lore) count for that?

Sure, that makes sense.

> >>Would you consider dropping the Con penalty for PCs (like 3.0)?
> >
> > Hmm... yes, that seems fair.
>
> Kobolds are already about the best Src/Wiz in the game for most
> builds, let 'im put some points in to buy it up.
>
> Not that it's my descision or anything.

I compared them to Halflings and Goblins, and I think they're balanced
without the -2 Con. And compared to whisper gnomes (Races of Stone),
they're still underpowered.

> Oh, another question for Wizard types. How much downtime is to be
> expected for making scrolls, potions, and other items? Any special rules
> for speeding up the process if the missions are to be continuous in nature?

The adventure handles time nicely, I think. You can pretty much take
downtime whenever you feel like it. Naturally, things will still be
happening... the world won't revolve entirely around your characters.

You can craft items while adventuring, though. Normally, a party
doesn't actually adventure more than one or two hours a day in
high-risk areas; the spellcasters run out of spells quickly. All you
need is 8 hours free every day, and you can manage that most of the
time.

> Are expensive material components/spell focus available somehow
> during the module?

Sure, it's a world. Cities do exist. :)

The closest one would be Verbobonc, about two days' ride northwest from
your starting position. Perhaps you're actually travelling there.

Just to clarify... the module is termed a "dungeon crawl", because much
of the action takes place indoors. But it's not the the World's Largest
Dungeon module, where the entire thing takes place in a dungeon. You
guys will be able to move around just as you please, and there will be
plenty of stuff to do outdoors.

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1120269833.446530.133220@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> justisaur@gmail.com says...
>
> > I'd like to play a Kobold, some variation of wizard or sorcerer, or
> > possibly a warlock, I just saw those the other day, and they looked
> > interesting. - and I'm interested in the wildmage PRC from complete
> > arcane I think. Do you have any house rules that would affect this I
> > would need to know about? Would you consider dropping the Con penalty
> > for PCs (like 3.0)?
>
> What do you mean "like 3.0"? Was there some rule/guidlines in 3.0 that
> allowed you to play kobolds without the -2 Con...?

They didn't have the -2 to con at all in 3.0. I was just suggesting
dropping it for play for a PC in 3.5

> Not that I think it would be unfair to anyone; kobolds aren't exactly
> the munchkin's choice PC race as they are. Just that I'm unaware of any
> such rule from 3.0....

No, I just wanted to play one, and wanted to ease off the disads -
after all they are CR 1/6 as opposed to 1/2 for most other LA 0 races.

- Justisaur

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
> > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> > I'd like to play a Kobold, some variation of wizard or sorcerer, or
> > possibly a warlock, I just saw those the other day, and they looked
> > interesting. - and I'm interested in the wildmage PRC from complete
> > arcane I think. Do you have any house rules that would affect this I
> > would need to know about?
>
> Yes. One house rule, specifically for wild mages: the 1d6-3 caster
> level modification when casting is to be applied after _all_ other
> modifications. In other words, Practiced Spellcaster doesn't combo with
> Wild Mage.

Not sure what you mean by that... You might need to elaberate.

I'm actually leaning toward Warlock, it looks more like what a sorcerer
should be. It seems somewhat similar to a rogue (might stack well with
rogue too, not sure) as well, for combat anyway. So is playing a
warlock alright? If so wildmage probably isn't going to have any use
for one, but I'll have to go over it.

> And some rules interpretations for spells in general:
>
> Alter Self: No winged humanoids exist, for the purposes of this spell.

Unless you are playing in Forgotten Realms this is normal anyway.

> Polymorph: You cannot polymorph into a creature larger than one size
> category above your own (Large for humans, Medium for kobolds). If your
> Polymorphed shape is larger than your natural shape, Polymorph counts
> as a magical effect that increases size, and thus doesn't stack with
> Enlarge Person or Animal Growth.

Reasonable. I've never had any problems with polymorph, and it's not
really that useful for a kobold as you aren't going to turn into
anything large anyway.

> All shapechanging spells: you can only shapechange into forms you are
> familiar with. Encountering a creature is enough. Researching it in a
> library (which may take some time) is also acceptable.

My rules exactly.

> Max hit points at level one; at further levels, you may choose to roll,
> or take the average, rounded up.

I'll be taking the rounded up, easier for everyone.

Justisaur wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Justisaur wrote:
> > > I'd like to play a Kobold, some variation of wizard or sorcerer, or
> > > possibly a warlock, I just saw those the other day, and they looked
> > > interesting. - and I'm interested in the wildmage PRC from complete
> > > arcane I think. Do you have any house rules that would affect this I
> > > would need to know about?
> >
> > Yes. One house rule, specifically for wild mages: the 1d6-3 caster
> > level modification when casting is to be applied after _all_ other
> > modifications. In other words, Practiced Spellcaster doesn't combo with
> > Wild Mage.
>
> Not sure what you mean by that... You might need to elaberate.

According to the RAW, the Wild Mage gets -3 caster levels, but gets to
add 1d6 to his caster level when he's casting a spell.

If he takes Practiced Spellcaster, then the rules say that Practiced
Spellcaster gets added to his caster level whenever needed, to raise
his caster level to be equal to his character level.

In other words, if a level 4 Wild Mage rolls a 1 on the 1d6, he would
normally cast that spell with a CL of 2. With Practiced Spellcaster,
though, he'd still get the CL of 4. This is what my house rule
prevents.

> I'm actually leaning toward Warlock, it looks more like what a sorcerer
> should be. It seems somewhat similar to a rogue (might stack well with
> rogue too, not sure) as well, for combat anyway. So is playing a
> warlock alright?

There are two potential problems with playing a warlock.

One, you have to be evil or chaotic. With a Paladin in the party, this
could get messy. You guys should talk about this; I'd like your
characters to be at least somewhat happy about adventuring together.

Two, a warlock is not really the traditional arcane support role. This
isn't really a problem, as the adventure doesn't require such a role,
but it's something you should be aware of. To quote the class
that already has a spellcaster or two, since his unique abilities
provide him with little magic to use for his companions' benefit."

That said, I have no problems with it; Warlocks can be a lot of fun,
and they avoid the annoying "guys, I've run out of spells, let's go
back to town" wizard syndrome. If you want to play a Warlock, go for
it!

> If so wildmage probably isn't going to have any use
> for one, but I'll have to go over it.

Wild Mage levels and Warlock levels don't stack, because the Warlock is
not an arcane spellcasting class.

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1120322096.913124.139970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> justisaur@gmail.com says...
>
> > I'm actually leaning toward Warlock, it looks more like what a sorcerer
> > should be. It seems somewhat similar to a rogue (might stack well with
> > rogue too, not sure)
>
> A warlock/rogue/arcane trickster might be really nice, if the DM waived
> the spell requirements (since the warlocks never get actual spells) and
> substituted a caster level requirement and/or a particular invocation
> (not that I see anything that's close enough to mage hand).

If Justisaur wants to play something like that, we can work out a
custom PrC class (assuming the other players don't object). Could be
interesting.

> Maybe a bit too nice, even, especially with Practiced Spellcaster...?
> Maybe there's a reason it can't be done by the book.

I firmly believe that anything can be balanced, with enough care and
attention.

> > as well, for combat anyway. So is playing a
> > warlock alright? If so wildmage probably isn't going to have any use
> > for one, but I'll have to go over it.
>
> It's quite possible to be a warlock/wild mage, but I think you're better
> of sticking with warlock...

Technically, by the RAW, while Warlock levels _do_ qualify you for the
Wild Mage PrC, you can't actually stack the Wild Mage levels with the
Warlock levels, becasue it's not a spellcasting class.

I have no problem waiving this; in that case, though, the Wild Mage
levels would only stack with the warlock levels for CL and invocations
known (number and grade). He'd lose out on all other warlock special
abilities: damage reduction, fiendish resilience, energy resistance,
etc.

> BTW, what's your opinion on the hideous blow invocation, that lets you
> make a melee attack as a standard action and deal eldritch blast damage
> in addition to weapon damage?

Kind of weak, especially considering that using the Hellish Blow
invocation draws AoO.

> I very much like the idea of a hellish swordsman (I like all kinds of
> warrior-mages!) but it seems utterly pointless to spend an ability to
> turn your ranged touch attack into a normal melee attack, especially for
> someone with d6 and medium BAB.
>
> I think it would be more appropriate if it let you channel eldritch
> blast damage on every melee attack. So each round you have to choose
> between one ranged touch attack, or a couple of melee normal attacks.
> OTOH, that's some pretty impressive melee damage: like a sneak attacking
> rogue, but you don't have to bother to flank and don't have to worry
> about undead, constructs, fortification...

Yes, potentially way too powerful IMO. Not so much for straight
Warlocks, but for a warrior/warlock hybrid.

> Perhaps bonus damage to every
> attack, but only half eldritch blast damage (half damage, half the
> number dice, round up/down... as needed to best balance it).

The problem with this method is that it scales badly. It makes the
invocation ridiculously unusable at low levels, kind of weak at
mid-levels, and kinda-sorta balanced at high levels.

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1120313951.976096.258920@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

> > > Knowledge skills (and associated monster lore) count for that?
> >
> > Sure, that makes sense.
>
> What about other people's knowledges? An aasimar sorc trying to
> polymorph into an erinyes, with the cleric giving him pointers using
> knowledge (the planes)?

> > > Kobolds are already about the best Src/Wiz in the game for most
> > > builds, let 'im put some points in to buy it up.
> > >
> > > Not that it's my descision or anything.
> >
> > I compared them to Halflings and Goblins, and I think they're balanced
> > without the -2 Con. And compared to whisper gnomes (Races of Stone),
> > they're still underpowered.
>
> Many thins are, aren't they? :)
>
> > > Oh, another question for Wizard types. How much downtime is to be
> > > expected for making scrolls, potions, and other items? Any special rules
> > > for speeding up the process if the missions are to be continuous in nature?
> >
> > The adventure handles time nicely, I think. You can pretty much take
> > downtime whenever you feel like it. Naturally, things will still be
> > happening... the world won't revolve entirely around your characters.
> >
> > You can craft items while adventuring, though. Normally, a party
> > doesn't actually adventure more than one or two hours a day in
> > high-risk areas; the spellcasters run out of spells quickly. All you
> > need is 8 hours free every day, and you can manage that most of the
> > time.
>
> Whoah! That's an extremely beneficial-for-the-PCs house rule! Not that
> I'm against it... in retrospect, my own campaign might have been better
> if I ruled it this way, because the epic world-saving plot line demanded
> almost constant time pressure.

It's not a house rule. :)

>From Rules of the Game:

"Other than the loss of prerequisite spells (see the section on
prerequisites), and the time requirement, item creation doesn't impose
any restrictions on your activities during the days when you work on an
item."

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1120313951.976096.258920@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

(forgot about answering these bits)

> > > Knowledge skills (and associated monster lore) count for that?
> >
> > Sure, that makes sense.
>
> What about other people's knowledges? An aasimar sorc trying to
> polymorph into an erinyes, with the cleric giving him pointers using
> knowledge (the planes)?

I'm gonna have to say no to this. You have to have a clear mental image
of what you're trying to polymorph into, and descriptions just aren't
good enough.

I allow researching a creature in a library because I assume that to
grant much more "in-depth" knowledge than just another character
describing the creature: I imagine the wizard poring over tomes of
arcane biology, ending up with a good working knowledge of the
creature's anatomy.

> > > Kobolds are already about the best Src/Wiz in the game for most
> > > builds, let 'im put some points in to buy it up.
> > >
> > > Not that it's my descision or anything.
> >
> > I compared them to Halflings and Goblins, and I think they're balanced
> > without the -2 Con. And compared to whisper gnomes (Races of Stone),
> > they're still underpowered.
>
> Many thins are, aren't they? :)

Well, yes. I'm not a huge fan of whisper gnomes. :)

Laszlo

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> In article <1120325986.563068.201260@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:
> >There are two potential problems with playing a warlock.
> >
> >One, you have to be evil or chaotic. With a Paladin in the party, this
> >could get messy. You guys should talk about this; I'd like your
> >characters to be at least somewhat happy about adventuring together.
>
> I've said before I'm happy to take some other character type to balance out
> the party. I've even run evil characters before, though that might not be
> appropriate in a module where we're expected to *fight* evil creatures.

Yep, probably best if no one is evil.

> That said, the way I see things, a chaotic companion wouldn't necessarily be a
> problem like an evil one would. Chaotic could lead to interesting/fun
> "arguments"; Evil would lead to fights [part of the reason why I'm glad Jeff
> isn't running this]

A lot depends on how your character (if you do end up with a paladin)
interprets his own "paladinness". I believe that there's plenty of room
for different takes on life, even for Lawful Good paladins. (I
personally hate the Lawful Stupid paladin stereotype)

Incidentally, there's a Paladin of Freedom (Chaotic Good) variant class
available. It's in Unearthed Arcana, page 53; or you can find it here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassFeatures

(if your newsreader truncates that, try this: http://tinyurl.com/bnosm)

Anyway, it's up to you guys.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
> > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes. One house rule, specifically for wild mages: the 1d6-3 caster
> > > level modification when casting is to be applied after _all_ other
> > > modifications. In other words, Practiced Spellcaster doesn't combo with
> > > Wild Mage.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by that... You might need to elaberate.
>
> According to the RAW, the Wild Mage gets -3 caster levels, but gets to
> add 1d6 to his caster level when he's casting a spell.
>
> If he takes Practiced Spellcaster, then the rules say that Practiced
> Spellcaster gets added to his caster level whenever needed, to raise
> his caster level to be equal to his character level.
>
> In other words, if a level 4 Wild Mage rolls a 1 on the 1d6, he would
> normally cast that spell with a CL of 2. With Practiced Spellcaster,
> though, he'd still get the CL of 4. This is what my house rule
> prevents.

Oh o.k. that's stupid and abusive, wouldn't expect it to work that way.

> > I'm actually leaning toward Warlock, it looks more like what a sorcerer
> > should be. It seems somewhat similar to a rogue (might stack well with
> > rogue too, not sure) as well, for combat anyway. So is playing a
> > warlock alright?
>
> There are two potential problems with playing a warlock.
>
> One, you have to be evil or chaotic. With a Paladin in the party, this
> could get messy. You guys should talk about this; I'd like your
> characters to be at least somewhat happy about adventuring together.

Was planning chaotic good, maybe neutral, don't see it would cause much
of a problem, but will check.

> Two, a warlock is not really the traditional arcane support role. This
> isn't really a problem, as the adventure doesn't require such a role,
> but it's something you should be aware of. To quote the class
> that already has a spellcaster or two, since his unique abilities
> provide him with little magic to use for his companions' benefit."

Well, I'm expecting (or hoping at least) that the Use Magic Device will
help overcome that.

> That said, I have no problems with it; Warlocks can be a lot of fun,
> and they avoid the annoying "guys, I've run out of spells, let's go
> back to town" wizard syndrome. If you want to play a Warlock, go for
> it!

Cool, will write him up.

> > If so wildmage probably isn't going to have any use
> > for one, but I'll have to go over it.
>
> Wild Mage levels and Warlock levels don't stack, because the Warlock is
> not an arcane spellcasting class.

Supposedly the +1 caster level increases the eldrich blast level &
incantaion level, I'm a little fuzzy on it, but after looking at it, I
think I'd probably just go full out warlock. Once you get to 12 and
can make items things would look to get really fun, of course I don't
really expect to get that far anyway.

- Justisaur