treo650 -- cingular vs palmone

May 13, 2005 2:26:15 PM

i am thinking of buying a treo 650. will the software differ if i buy the
treo650 from palmone vs. buying it directly from cingular. for example,
does the cingular treo650 arrive with versamail? overall are there any
advantages buying from cingular vs buying from palmone?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:14:05 PM

"n" <nr1020@yahoo.com> writes:

> i am thinking of buying a treo 650. will the software differ if i buy the
> treo650 from palmone vs. buying it directly from cingular. for example,
> does the cingular treo650 arrive with versamail? overall are there any
> advantages buying from cingular vs buying from palmone?

Huge discount if you get it from cingular along with a service
contract. (Check out, say, Amazon with their big rebate for
a pretty good deal on the 650 Cingular package).

Presumably, if you're getting a 650 GSM in the US, it's
going to be the Cingular model anyway (ie. as opposed
to an unlocked one, which, as far as I can tell, is not
really a US model).

The hardware is identical between the unlocked generic one
and the locked cingular one I saw.

They both came with VersaMail, Blazer, RealPLayer and other
basic sutff (camera, media viewer, SMS messaging client, etc).

The Cingular version also came with DocsToGo (Word/Excel apps),
and another mail client (I forget what it was, but I didn't
like it, anyway).

If you buy Snappermail, you get DocsToGo anyway, and Snappermail
is a much nicer client than VersaMail. (I have a couple of
issues with it, but I'd need someone to squish Snapper and Chatter
together into one client to make me happy).

Can't remember what else, off the top of my head, but I
don't remember the cingular model having any especially
important differences.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
May 14, 2005 12:35:10 AM

In article <yobr7gb3pmq.fsf@panix2.panix.com>, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net
wrote:

> "n" <nr1020@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > i am thinking of buying a treo 650. will the software differ if i buy the
> > treo650 from palmone vs. buying it directly from cingular. for example,
> > does the cingular treo650 arrive with versamail? overall are there any
> > advantages buying from cingular vs buying from palmone?
>
> Can't remember what else, off the top of my head, but I
> don't remember the cingular model having any especially
> important differences.

Wouldn't checking with Cingular and comparing it with what's listed on
palmOne's Web site give you the answer?
May 15, 2005 12:35:27 AM

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) writes:
> In article <yobr7gb3pmq.fsf@panix2.panix.com>, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net
> wrote:
> > "n" <nr1020@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > i am thinking of buying a treo 650. will the software differ if
> > > i buy the treo650 from palmone vs. buying it directly from

> > Can't remember what else, off the top of my head, but I

> Wouldn't checking with Cingular and comparing it with what's listed on
> palmOne's Web site give you the answer?

Um, no.

Have you looked?

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
May 29, 2005 2:05:51 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:14:05 -0400, BreadWithSpam wrote:

> (ie. as opposed
> to an unlocked one, which, as far as I can tell, is not
> really a US model).

??? What do you mean? My unlocked GSM works quite well in USA.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:36:19 PM

John Phillips <flaulantdingo@deadspam.com> writes:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:14:05 -0400, BreadWithSpam wrote:

> > (ie. as opposed
> > to an unlocked one, which, as far as I can tell, is not
> > really a US model).
>
> ??? What do you mean? My unlocked GSM works quite well in USA.

It's not marketed here. Mine works fine here, too, but the
packaging is clearly not US-specific and it's not something
one will (or at least, say, a month ago would have) found
easily in a US retail outlet. I got mine mail order, of course.

(by 'packaging', I mean in addition to the documentation,
the AC adapters are multi-plug, not just US plugs, as was
the case with the Cingular-locked 650 I'd checked out before
getting this one).

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
June 1, 2005 6:32:15 PM

It is alleged that BreadWithSpam@fractious.net claimed:

; > ??? What do you mean? My unlocked GSM works quite well in USA.
;
; It's not marketed here. Mine works fine here, too, but the

Funny, but it looks like it is:
<http://web.palmone.com/products/communicators/config/un...;jsessionid=CTG2H2Y4K51TKCQFGJDSFFIKAUZEMIV0?categoryId=30025>

; packaging is clearly not US-specific and it's not something
; one will (or at least, say, a month ago would have) found
; easily in a US retail outlet. I got mine mail order, of course.

In the US, physical stores generally only sell cellphones in
conjunction with cellular providers, not "raw".

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Stay close to the Vorlon and watch out for Shadows. They move when
you're not looking at them." (Amb. Sinclair, B5 "The Coming of
Shadows")
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:39:32 PM

Posted Feb 6, 2005, 4:08 PM ET by Peter Rojas
Related entries: Cellphones, Handhelds

cingular Treo 650 small

Pissed that palmOne ”fixed” the “pricing error” on the unlocked GSM
version of the Treo 650? Nobody is happy that they boosted the price
from of an unlocked Treo 650 from $599 to $699 just a couple of days
after it went on sale last week, but if you have T-Mobile and don’t mind
your phone sporting a Cingular logo, more than a few people have written
in (and posted in our comments) with the news that you can unlock the
GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence *#*#1234# and then
pressing the center D-pad button. Haven’t tried this ourselves yet, so
if you completely screw up your Treo 650 we can’t help you, ok?

UPDATE: Might not actually work as well as well as we’d hoped, but like
we said, we haven’t tried this ourselves yet.

This removes the SIM lock, not the SIM subsidy lock. You can't put
another SIM (say T-Mobile's) with this code. The SIM subsidy codes are
specific for the IMEI of each phone and is either cracked or provided by
the provider who locked the phone in the first place.

Posted May 12, 2005, 4:47 AM ET by Mike

As far as unlocking the Treo 650 with Cingular service...I just called
them up and explained that I have a Taiwan GSM SIM card that all my
Taiwanese customer call me at. They understood the situation and told me
a Cingular rep would call or e-mail me the unlock code in 5 to 10
business days. To my surprise, it was waiting for me the next business
day. It was a *#*# 8 number digit # then press dial. Told me the SIM was
unlocked and I am successfully switching between my Cingular SIM and my
Chungwa SIM. No problems. And it DOES NOT have anything to do with some
pseudo-random combination of your serial numbers. It IS based off the
IMEI number.

How to unlock a Cingular Treo 650!
Hi there,

With all the discussion about the outrageous costs associated with the
factory unlocked Treo 650, ($799 according to the sales reps. at
palmone.com), I thought everyone would like to know how to get an
unlocked phone for much cheaper.

According to Cingular customer service, the Cingular branded Treo 650
CAN be unlocked if you meet the following criterion:

1) You must have an account in good standing with Cingular
2) Your account must be three months or older
3) You must call customer service and specifically request they provide
the unlock code and sequence

The rep. I spoke to last night said they, being Cingular, has to request
the unlock code directly from palmone.com which takes roughly 3-5
business days. Once they have the code they can call you and walk you
through the unlock process.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Cingular rep sometime today or
tomorrow. Once I do I'll post an update with the information they provide.

P.S. I tried the unlock code posted on some of the other sites and it
DOES NOT work with my Cingular branded Treo 650!
junglegeorge45 is offline Reply With Quote

I bought a Treo 650 from the AT&T business center (now known as the
Cingular business center) by calling 611 and asking to be transferred. I
received my phone the next day (this past Friday - 05/06/05). The guy I
got the phone from said they were sold out of AT&T logoed phones so they
were sending me a "blank" phone and there was a chance it would be one
of the unlocked ones. It arrived and it was a locked Cingular phone
recoded to work with AT&T SIM cards. The phone works great!

After reading this thread, I decided to call to see if i could unlock my
phone.I called 866-287-6131 and told the lady I recently purchased the
phone and was traveling to Europe in the very near future. She said the
policy was not to unlock the AT&T phones since they did not provide the
unlock codes. She asked for my IMEI number to check if i had a Cingular
phone. Her computer gave a unlock code and she gave it to me right away.
The whole process took only about 1 minute, 30 seconds, and I got
through without being on hold.

So, if you have a Treo 650, AT&T service, and you recently purchased the
phone, you may be able to unlock your phone too.

---
Works as described and downloaded at hostingsupercenter.com. From what I
know, there are 2 ways to unlock your phone.

1. Your Network provides unlock using a series of code specific to your
IMEI number. Your IMEI is usually located behind your battery bay or
Verify the IMEI by pressing *#06#.

You will need to complete a set of steps and get them right with no
mistakes (you are given a few tries)
Example..
-Press LEFT, *, *, LEFT
-Display should read "Personalized with MNCx" (Press YES and the display
should read "Enter NCK"
-Enter the unlock code and press YES. The display should read "Network
Unlocked."
...the above is only an example.

In the USA, you can call your mobile network company after 3 months of
service and demand an unlock on a world phone GSM. You will be emailed
the code/steps or if they are kind enough to even walk you through. The
companies will ask for reasons and can take 48 hours. I know Cingular
unlocks it in the USA. This is not always the case in Europe or if you
have bought a used phone, hence an option 2.

2. The second way is a software unlock as made available at
www.hostingsupercenter.com/offertreo600.htm . You will upload into your
palm a set of firmwareUpdater.prc and firmwareflasher.pdb files. You
will need to update your firmware to v3.05/3.06 before unlocking your
phone. To verify your firmware version.
i. Press Phone .
ii. Check that your radio (phone) is active. If “Wireless Mode Off” is
displayed, turn on the radio by pressing the radio power button (on the
top of your Treo 600, next to the antenna).
iii Press Menu .
v. From the Options menu, select Phone Info. it will display the
firmware and the software version

Why did I want my phone unlock? While travelling in Asia, disposable
phone cards are sold at $5-$10 with a SIM chip that can be used with GSM
phones. This allows me to make/receive local calls at local charges! No
more need for a public phone. Pretty cool eh..
!