2.2A System, suggestions?

orc5

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Lian-Li PC-61 Case (might get the window and a cathode light, suggestions?)
Antec 330W Power Supply TRUE330 (should I get higher wattage?)
Pentium 4 2.2A
Gigabyte GA-8IGX Motherboard
Crucial 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM CAS 2.0 (Maybe two of these)
Lite-On 40x12x48 CDRW
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
GAINWARD GeForce 4 Ti 4600, 128MB DDR

If I overclock the FSB to 133, will I have to worry about any conflicts with AGP/PCI stuff? And what kind of cooling will I need?

The 2.2a may not overclock to 133 fsb, but it's worth a try. I wouldn't raise the cpu voltage more than +.15 volts. K D computers carries the thermalright ax-78 heatsink for $26. It doesn't come with a fan, but will work with any 80mm fan. I would choose a quiet one. Try the stock heatsink first if you get the retail box. If your temps are 50 celcius or less, you won't need to buy a premium heatsink.

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Please update if you get a sucessfull oc to 133fsb cos am thinking of the same thing here.

Also with the mobo I was told that the Abit THII is the choise with the p4 ocing.

Also with RAM get samsung RD cos they run nicely at 1066. And you p4 that will be running at 2.926 ghz wold benifit very nicely with RD ram. I hope that you realise that thats some serious ocing that you wanna do, and am betting that you might need to go something like watercooling.

ANyways keep us updated with what happens.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm

you may want to consider corsiar PC3200 ram, to get the maximum available memory bandwidth.

but for maximum performance with the P4 PC1066 RDRAM is reccomended.

the stock cooler should be ok, but if you want a super good one i reccomend the MCX-478 or MCX-462U or whatever its called now by swiftech.
one of the best coolers around.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
BTW Lite-On is the choise. They are just too sick, way too sick!!! If Lite-On could be any sicker it would kill cancer.

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
the stock cooler should be ok, but if you want a super good one i reccomend the MCX-478 or MCX-462U or whatever its called now by swiftech.
one of the best coolers around
Are you serious?? (Not being a smart arse) Do you think that it should be ok with a good cooler at 2.926ghz??? Cos am planning to do a similar thing.

has anyone done it yet this far with air cooling?????

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
well 2.9Ghz is pushing it...
good luck getting the CPU that high.
if the swiftech cant get there then no other air cooler will. will have to do waer cooling or cryogenic.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Thats what I thought too.

FatBurger

Illustrious
3GHz on air is possible, but tough. Look at <A HREF="http://http:://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">Dan's Data</A> for the best P4 heatsink, I haven't kept up on it lately. You'll need to make sure your case is well ventilated, and don't forget the AS3. Switch to the Abit TH7II and Samsung RDRAM, as mentioned. You'll get better performance in the end.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

orc5

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I leave my system on 24/7 usually, will that matter if I'm overclocking?

I'm not going to try to reach the 133 FSB right away, I just want to make sure everything works because this is my first time doing it. Does any have strong feelings against water cooling for a beginner?

I think I'll go with the Corsair PC 3200 - It's only like $30 extra, but will it definitely work in my system?

My understanding of overclocking is that you adjust the FSB to increase the processing speed. So can I go up 1 MHz at a time? I read a lot about conflicts with PCI and AGP cards because of the wrong FSB speeds, can anyone explain this?

Thanks again, you've all been very helpful :)

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've had mine on 24/7 for several months, no problems.

Why not? I did 133 out of the box with no problems. Water cooling is tricky and must be done right, it just depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I've never done a watercooling setup, so I can't really help with that.

Go with Samsung PC2700, it'll actually overclock better than the Corsair PC3200. It should work in your system.

Yes, that's correct. When you change the FSB, it changes the speed at which the CPU and RAM run at, but it also changes the speed at which the PCI and AGP cards run. When those get too high, then they cause problems. RAID cards are typically the most delicate, from my experience.

On a P4 'A' system, the bus speed defaults at 100MHz. The AGP is 2/3 that, and the PCI is 1/3 that, or 66MHz and 33MHz respectively. Current motherboards either have divider options so you can change to 1/4 or 1/5 instead of 1/3, or lock the speed so that the PCI and AGP don't move with the CPU and RAM. Abit P4 boards do this (TH7II, BD7, SD7, IT7).

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

orc5

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I might go with the Samsung ram and the Abit BG7 then. Gigabyte has an async option in their windows-based overclocking utility which I think does just that - locks the speed of the PCI and AGP. Is there much of a difference between the BG7 and the BD7II? One is 845G and the other is 845E. I've been reading that the 845G is a fresh design but I don't really care about the integrated graphics. It also supports DDR 333 whereas 845E doesn't. But I don't know what that means because if you're overclocking the FSB, shouldn't you want the better RAM?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by orc5 on 06/19/02 03:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>