I'm seeking a new notebook for business use. I saw your questionnaire and am filling it out in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction!
1. What is your budget? Under $5k
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17" minimum
3. What screen resolution do you want? As high as humanly possible, preferably in HD.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I need a desktop replacement that is as portable as possible. I plan on using the system with a docking station, if available, as I need a dual monitor setup.
5. How much battery life do you need? 6+ hours, if possible.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No need for games.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo and video editing, lots of live streaming (incoming and outgoing), vector graphic illustrations, HTML/CSS/PHP creation and editing, essentially the entire Adobe CS7 Master Suite - and more often than not, 3 or more of these programs are running at once. Also of course basic web browsing, word processing, accounting, Skype video/voice, etc.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 512GB-1TB.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Well I love what Origin offers (originpc.com) but who wouldn't? I just don't have $7200+ to plop down on my idea config! LOL
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? My current Compaq tower has lasted since early 2005 with only RAM/HDD upgrades. The processor is holding it back now, which is the only reason I figure it is time to upgrade to a notebook. I would like the notebook to last just as long, if possible.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Minimum DVD writer, blu-ray isn't essential but if it is available I'd prefer blu-ray writer as well for data storage capabilities and video burning. No need for 3d!
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'm not interested in HP, Acer, or Apple. I would prefer to support independent brands and manufacturers rather than the large corporate brands we all know, but I'm open to looking at other options.
13. What country do you live in? Canada
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. This system will need to run a lot of CPU intensive programs simultaneously without lag, be capable of handling a dual monitor setup (DVI) even if one is internal and the other is external, and preferably be able to handle Wi-Fi speeds at a minimum of 50Mbps download. Yes, I have a router that can handle that, and a more than capable internet connection. I would prefer to operate on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and am open to upgrading after purchase but would prefer the notebook to come with that OS for warranty/support purposes.
**Edited: I forgot to mention, I would like to go with a solid state drive as well. I understand it may take two SSDs to make 512GB (well, except with Origin! LOL) and I'm open to this as well. For portability/rugged performance, I'm really hoping to go solid state. Thanks!
I know, its a long list with a mediocre budget - but do what you can!
take a look at Sager Np8170, it's the same thing origin rebranding as their own
Sager NP8170 @ xoticpc I come out to about $3.2k with i7-2630, GTX560, 2x250gbSSD, BD-rom, upgraded wireless and win7 ultimate + extended warranty. Unfortunately it seems there's some 3d features come by default. You can play around with the configuration yourself. If you got any concerns you can call the company up they'll explain everything you want to know.