Problem with Seagate FreeAgent 2TB External Hard Drive

Aybee

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hello,
My Seagate FreeAgent External 2TB Hard Drive is not recognised by my PC anymore, although it has always been recognised before. The drive shows that it is on but it does not appear in the list of drives on my computer. Before it started doing this, I got a Windows message informing me that the device driver software had not been found.

First thing I would try is to plug it into another computer to see if it recognizes the drive. If it does not work, try a new USB cable.

If you still can't get it to spin up - there are two likely causes:
1 - there is a USB-SATA board inside the drive enclosure that can go bad. To test, you will have to remove the drive from the enclosure and install directly in a PC.
2 - the actual hard drive is bad.

Fortunately, most of the time, it is the USB-SATA controller, and not the drive. Most common reasons for drive failure is it being "dropped" while turned on.

If the drive is under warranty, and you have the data backed up - I would suggest NOT opening the case and seeking an RMA on the drive.

If it is out of warranty - google the exact model number - Youtube has a lot of videos on how to open the drives like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP9D-Dbat9I

Again, if it is under warranty, opening the case will most likely result in the warranty being voided.

aryanbamne

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

well 1st check wheather your drive is showing up on some other computer or not.
if it is showing there and working fine in some other computer the try dis on ur comp
1st check in disk management whether it is showing up there. if yes den try changing he drive letter.if that is also not working then do dis.
go to control panel-hardware and sounds-devices and printer
now here check if your drive is showing.i probably guess it must b showing because you can see the disk in disk management.
so now right click and go to properties. go to hardware.in hardware go to sub-tab properties in lower right end.now go to driver tab and click on uninstall button. (the last one) ok now your external harddisk will be shown as unspecified. ok now remove your hard disk n again connect it and it will automatically install your drivers like when you connect it for the very 1st time..and now you are done.your hard disk will be shown in my computer and you can open it.