Traveling with m125

Tags:
May 13, 2005 6:22:19 PM

My family and I will be traveling this summer. I have a Palm m125,
which I would like to take with me. We are going on a cruise, and the
ship has an internet room. My problem is that when I have to replace
the batteries, I lose all my data. I have a broadband connection, so
obviously a modem HotSync wouldn't work, and I don't want to spend $50
to get a backup card, especially when it would hold atleast twice what
I need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More about : traveling m125

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:57:30 PM

Thanks. I actually have a 64 MB SD card already, so I'll just get the
software. Thanks again!
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:47:15 AM

ki4hrg@gmail.com wrote:

>My problem is that when I have to replace
>the batteries, I lose all my data.

Yep, that's a common backup capacitor failure with the AAA powered m1xx series.

>I don't want to spend $50 to get a backup card,

You should be able to get an plain old SD card for under US$20. (My local Target
has 64MB cards for $19.95.) Then go to freewarepalm.com and get a free backup
program. I use RFBackup on my m125.

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Get a new one. If you're too broke after booking that cruise look at the Zire31,
going for $129 in my area. But you would likely be much happier with the higher
resolution Tungsten E at $199 (or less if you look around). Or perhaps the newer
Tungsten E2 at $249.
May 14, 2005 7:01:57 AM

"jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks. I actually have a 64 MB SD card already, so I'll just get the
>software. Thanks again!

You're welcome.

After thinking about it I'm not sure I got RFBackup at freewarepalm.com or not,
but if you can't find it there it is still here:

http://www.redfelineninja.dsl.pipex.com/software/rfback...
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:41:24 AM

It's there. Now if I can just find my SD card...
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:26:58 AM

I found my SD card, tried it and... saved myself about $50 or so. Thank
you so much!
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:10:14 AM

"jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> wrote:

>I found my SD card, tried it and... saved myself about $50 or so. Thank
>you so much!

You're again welcome. Glad it worked out for you.

When you replace the batteries, lose your memory, and then run the backup to
restore the memory, be sure as the last thing to do a soft reset. That will
enable the update patches. If you don't have the m125 update patches you can go
to the Palm1 site and download them. The one for the digitizer makes a
considerable improvement in screen touch sensitivity on mine.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:09:11 AM

OK. I haven't gotten the patches yet, but I'm about to. Also, RFBackup
has a screen (at least on my version) that comes up after the restore
and prompts you to do a soft reset. Thanks!
May 17, 2005 1:01:28 PM

I have sort of a related question if anyone could take a shot
at it. I just grabbed a 125 off of Ebay for a few bucks ($6 ;-])
one of the things that I liked over a few others was the
ability to use the SD ram card.

So after listening to you guys solve this problem I started
wondering if leaving the card in drastically affected the battery
life if at all? Have you noticed this happen? Or do you just
use the SD as sort of a floppy disk and yank it out when not
using it?

TNX

Dave

"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> "jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I found my SD card, tried it and... saved myself about $50 or so. Thank
>>you so much!
>
> You're again welcome. Glad it worked out for you.
>
> When you replace the batteries, lose your memory, and then run the backup
> restore the memory, be sure as the last thing to do a soft reset. That
> will
> enable the update patches. If you don't have the m125 update patches you
> can go
> to the Palm1 site and download them. The one for the digitizer makes a
> considerable improvement in screen touch sensitivity on mine.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:54:05 PM

"Smeghead" <Smeg@head.com> wrote:

>So after listening to you guys solve this problem I started
>wondering if leaving the card in drastically affected the battery
>life if at all?

I tried such an experiment and noticed no battery life difference: card in, card
out, or with different cards (using a battery checking program). The cards do
use current but it is negligible. I generally get 30-35 hours on a set of
batteries (ebook reading) and almost 50 hours when I slow the processor down to
16MHz. However I don't usually run this way since AAA batteries are pretty
cheap... ;)

>do you just use the SD as sort of a floppy disk and yank it out when not
>using it?

You can and I do. I use a 1 Gig SD card to routinely switch between the m128 and
my color models. The m128 for ebook reading poolside in the AZ sun, and week
long camping trips away from power mains. And I use the color models for inside
reading because the screen is much better for reading. Everything I do stays on
the SD card and easily switches between the PDA's. Course I don't hot sync
anymore but use the card to load, unload, and run most of the programs. I do use
about 1 meg main memory for program settings and those I want to run from the
buttons. You will enjoy your m125 I'm sure, IMO the best of the monos...
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:59:54 PM

How do you get so much battery life? I am usually lucky to get 24 hours
out of mine. Also, I have noticed on mine that the SD card does drain
the battery quicker than usual (as does the backlight, Beam Receive
being on, etc., etc., etc.). Also, how do you adjust the processor
speed, and what battery checking program did you use?

Sorry for all the questions. I have actually had my m125 for about
three years, and have only just started using it more ( thanks to your
help with helping me with backups :-) ). Let me know.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:23:20 AM

Thanks!
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:26:28 AM

"jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> wrote:

>How do you get so much battery life? I am usually lucky to get 24 hours
>out of mine.

I use my m125 primarily for ebook reading. That is a very low current use. The
processor is used mainly during page changes and idles the rest of the time. If
you have a higher current use such as games, that will lower the battery life.

Also I generally read 2 hours or more a day so more of my battery time is used
for actual 'on' time which is the counted hours and less for 'off' time which is
still drawing current but not in the counted hours.

>Also, I have noticed on mine that the SD card does drain
>the battery quicker than usual

If you are using a program that constantly accesses the card that may account
for it. In my type of use I notice little difference.

>Also, how do you adjust the processor speed,

I use ClockupDA. It will vary the processor speed from 10 to 42MHz. You can slow
it down to save battery drain or speed it up to run games faster. It is a DA
(Desk Accessory) so you will need a DA launcher to run it. There probably are
stand alone programs that will do the same thing if you look. I just tried this
experiment once to see how many hours I could get (almost 50) and then removed
it since I am well satisfied with 30 - 35 hours running it normally...

>as does the backlight, Beam Receive being on,

I always leave the beam receive off to save the battery. However the m125 has a
quirk that sometimes turns it back on after a hot sync and doesn't tell you. I
use a free program called IrOff.prc (freewarepalm.com) that keeps it off no
matter what.

>and what battery checking program did you use?

I use a hack called BatteryLog.prc. You will need hackmaster.prc or x-master.prc
to make it work.

>Sorry for all the questions. I have actually had my m125 for about
>three years, and have only just started using it more ( thanks to your
>help with helping me with backups :-) ). Let me know.

No problem, glad to help.
!