bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Better for dipping in salsa with :wink:

I'd guess it's because round gives you the most surface area with the least ammount of space (Maximized area for it's dimentions)

"Meesa thinks that yousa gonna die" - Darth Darth Binks

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
WTF!!!

I am asking a serious question and I get no love.

Bront your answer makes no since because if that were the case they would make them on the magnitude of the final dimensions and then you would have no waste at all.

If you don't know say you don't know, there is no shame in not knowing.

HULK SMASH!!!

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
There can be tons of reason. I think one of the reason would be that round shape will be efficient when it's spinning during mfgr process. (Just a guess).

I am not good in Geometry.

KG

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Sarah Chambers

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
They have to waste some space anyway as they can't nessessarily use EVERY scrap of silicon. I said I wasn't sure, I was simply making my guess.

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
So your saying that is the efficiency of the machines involved. That's interesting. Thank you kemche!

That wasn't hard was it. Being polite won't kill you Fatburger. I am not trying to be rude or silly, this is just something I really want to know.

HULK SMASH!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
The only reason I posted is because I'm also interested, and whenever someone posts in a thread, it magically moves to the top. Would you prefer I just say "Bump", or make my posts more interesting?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Sure, I just need to make it till I can actually touch my copy of NWN! Not having it with it being out is making cranky.

HULK SMASH!!!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
They are round because of how the silicon cylinders are "grown" (for lack of a better term). They look like a great, big, shiny POS. These silicon cylinders are then normalized (on something like a lathe), sliced into wafers, have copper or aluminum deposited on them in a thin layer and are then "etched" into the appropriate chips.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Love the TAG! HULK WILL SMASH fer sure. As for why are the wafers round? First, they make a silicon log, from which they slice the wafers. Here's a website with some good info on the whole process:
http://www.memc.com/

More specifically, the pdf files. Very informative.

I'm not really human, I just play one on TV

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I've got a nice 6" wafer, though it isn't completely round... one... end? (what the hell do you call it on a circle) is flat. It's also already been etched, and each of the dies look to be 50mm. Can't say I know what the hell it is. I got it in my Sr. year of HS... so 2000, from VTC, Inc. It's some MN company that a classmate's dad worked at, and we got to go on a field trip, though I was elsewhere at the time, and unable to go. As to why it's round? Look at the link someone provided. I just wanted to brag about my 6 incher.... I hope that doesn't sound wrong.

-SammyBoy

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well hell, looks like the company was bought by Lucent Technologies. The chips were for HDDs, and they were a leading supplier... go MN! After selling to Lucent, they became a foundry. Intersting... there are silicon foundries outside of Taiwan. Apparently, though, they are only down to .35 micron, and use both CMOS and BiCMOS(???). Learn something new every day.

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
wwwwwwwwwooooooooo.........you too? I've decided that I'm going to live on booster drinks, like AMP and Redbull, and some for of meat after I get NWN.........sleep is for the weak....muahaha

well, I think my work will get in my way of NWN too, but damn it I still haven't found that blasted money tree. It keeps moving on me........

MeldarthX

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Haven't gotten into to Morrowind ... yet. NWN will consume my entire weekend. Well that and Windows 2000 advanced server. Must build a new root server even though I dread doing it. I will examine those links and the processes that they explain. I just always thought it would be possible to create a rectangular log to minimize the waste of silicon.

HULK SMASH!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I've got a nice 6" wafer, though it isn't completely round... one... end? (what the hell do you call it on a circle) is flat.

Thats called the flat of the wafer, in modern wafers its a notch, it is so you know the orientation of the crystal lattice in the silicon.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: