P4 2.4 vs 2.5

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Well if I'm going to ask a question why not get some answers from the smartest people around.

I am thinking of buying a new computer and I'm leaning toward the Gateway 700 series. My question is should I spend an additional $300 for the 2.5 ghz or save the money and get the 2.4 ghz?

Is there a big difference where I will notice the performance? I am using the computer for dvd viewing and gaming.

Also should I wait for awhile, is there something new coming from Dell or Gateway where I had wished I waited.

Please any advice would help seeing how I will be spending $3000 bucks. Also Gateway has the Nvidia 4600tiG and Dell has the 4600ti what is the difference with the G.

Thanks

Pete

P.s.
Will the gateway and dell 2.5 system be the same speed?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well if I'm going to ask a question why not get some answers from the smartest people around.

They're all on vacation, can you come back next week?

I am thinking of buying a new computer and I'm leaning toward the Gateway 700 series. My question is should I spend an additional $300 for the 2.5 ghz or save the money and get the 2.4 ghz?

First of all, everyone who replies to this thread will tell you to build your own computer. Have you looked into that at all?
Second, why did you choose Gateway? I have nothing against them, I'm just wondering.
Third, no, I don't think it's worth the extra $300 <i>unless</i> the 2.4 is on a 100MHz bus and the 2.5 is on a 133MHz bus. Find that out if you can.

Is there a big difference where I will notice the performance? I am using the computer for dvd viewing and gaming.

Anything above about a P3 800 or so won't make a difference in watching DVDs (unless you do something else at the same time). For games, the video card makes much more of a difference.

Also should I wait for awhile, is there something new coming from Dell or Gateway where I had wished I waited.

There's always something new, but I don't think Dell or Gateway will be coming out with anything interesting any time soon.

Please any advice would help seeing how I will be spending $3000 bucks.

Build it yourself and get it cheaper.

Also Gateway has the Nvidia 4600tiG and Dell has the 4600ti what is the difference with the G.

Should be the same card.

Are you determined to get the best money can buy, or are you willing to pay half as much and get something nearly as good?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Both the 2.5 and the 2.4 say 533mhz front side bus.

Wouldn't know where to start to build one myself.

Also it comes with 512 of RDRAM is this plenty for playing most games and movies or should I spend an additional $360 and get the 1 gig. Or upgrade in the future(says expandable to 2G)

Just curious what a system would cost to build yourself wit hall the bells and whistles.

Pete

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wouldn't know where to start to build one myself.

It's not that hard anymore. Computers are becoming much easier to build. Intel's new heatsink mounting system is the most recent step.

Also it comes with 512 of RDRAM is this plenty for playing most games and movies or should I spend an additional $360 and get the 1 gig. Or upgrade in the future(says expandable to 2G)

Stick with 512MB.

Just curious what a system would cost to build yourself wit hall the bells and whistles.

I'll price one out for you, give me a few minutes.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, here's what you're looking at now and what I'd recommend. First the shared components:

<b>Case:</b> Lian-Li PC-68+USB - $164
<b>DVD-ROM:</b> Pioneer 106s slot-load 16x - $46
<b>CD-RW:</b> Lite-On 40/12/48 OEM - $69
<b>Hard drive:</b> IBM 120GXP 80GB - $93
<b>Keyboard:</b> Viewsonic silver USB keyboard - $35
<b>Mouse:</b> MS Intellimouse v3 - $31
<b>RAM:</b> 2x Samsung 256MB PC800 - $166
<b>Monitor:</b> Viewsonic P95F - $399
<b>Motherboard:</b> Asus P4T533-C - $161
<b>Power supply:</b> Enermax 431w "Whisper" - $83
<b>OS:</b> Windows XP Professional OEM - $139
<b>Sound card:</b> Hercules Game Theater XP retail - $75
<b>Speakers:</b> Klipsch 5.1 - $369

<b><font color=blue>Best money can buy:</font color=blue></b>
<b>Processor:</b> P4 2.53GHz - $634
<b>Video card:</b> Asus Ti4600 - $325

<b><font color=blue>Better price, still good performance</font color=blue> (recommended):</b>
<b>Processor:</b> P4 2.0A - $191
<b>Video card:</b> Gainward Ti4200 - $163 (DVI+TV-out, 64MB)

Total for "best" system: $2789

Total for "good" system: $2184

Ok, I didn't stick to my original statement of half the price, but this system will be way better than anything Gateway could give you. All prices are from Newegg, shipping not included. I'm not necessarily recommending the monitor, and you may want to change some other components. This should give you a good idea of prices, though. If you went with the same speakers, sound card, monitor, etc that you'd get from Gateway, you could cut more money off the price. Excepting the monitor, I gave you pretty much the best out there. I'd recommend the second, cheaper system. You almost certainly would never notice the difference between the two.

You originally said P4, so that's what I picked. If you're not interested in overclocking and would rather get something cheaper, then I'd go with an Athlon system. If you want the more expensive version, keeping it P4 would be the right choice. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.s. This isn't necessarily the exact components I'd choose for myself if I was building a new computer right now, but I would be perfectly happy with everything I put in there (monitor included).

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I would go with Dell instead of Gateway. I know people who have had both and most will agree that their Dell systems have been better. The chances of your system working will be higher. Also there is basically no difference between 2.4 and 2.5 to justify the price difference.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As far as building your own system, along with everyone else on this board, I would recomend it. I built my 1st and 2nd systems successfully on the 1st try both times. In both cases I just used all the info I could gather here and at other sites. It's not as daunting as you think. Despite what it says under my username I am a newbie, so if I can do it, anyone can.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Oh god, if you really have that kind of money, then build one yourself, if you screw up the first time, there's always the extra $2000 to spend on another one. No point in 1G of RAM yet.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile: