udunno

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
I have a question......My AMD 2000 XP runs at like 70 degreees C........and my old athlon 650 runs at more than half that temperature. I remember my old k6-2 ran hot as well. Is this normal for socket processors? I am using the recommended fan and heatsink that I bought off www.tcwo.com . my pooter locks up when the temp finally reaches 70 degrees. What should I do? I have checked all voltages and have made sure everything is plugged in correctly. How do I dramatically reduce the temperature of this thing without having to purchase another heatsink?

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
70c is not especially good ya know...

Something you could do to reduce the temps?
<A HREF="http://www.articsilver.com/as3.htm" target="_new">Solution</A>

This is my old <font color=blue>Downdated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Uneatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> rotten </font color=red> sig.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Some questions:

How you monitorize your temps? Motherboard Monitor is the best software are reliable.
What is your room temp? Hot places means higher CPU temps.

Anyway, 70º is high and probably is correct if you are having problems. Some solutions:

Improve airflow. Do you have at least two fans, one blowing in and the other blowing out? To know how much you can gain, open the case an run the computer. What are the temps now? If they drop significantly, airflow can be improved. Of course, you have to spend some money for the fans, but they are cheap and easy to install. Also, additional improvements like rouded cables can be done.

Also, as it has already pointed, good heat transmition with the HSF is important, so use some artic silver II or 3 to improve it. Again, it will cost some $, but I think it's not so expensive.

Suggested links for airflow explanation:

http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/airflowtweak/ - at least you get an idea, don't need to go as far as they are going.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

FENRlZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
Start by taking off one side of the case, or improving the airflow by adding case fans. Try lowering the CPU voltage (vcore), that way it´ll run much cooler. Which type of heatsink and fan are you using?

I had a cool sig. ready, but my dog ate it!

TRENDING THREADS