Getting a laptop for a 5 year period and what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hello, I am a student and looking in the market for a laptop, Sadly this laptop I need to last 5 year even know this is a lot to ask considering the tech industry and how fast it advances. I have gone over multiple companies and sadly have had to choose a dell alien ware, First this computer will be used for the following -

-Gaming HC
-Unreal engine development
-College
-programming
-IT
-Graphics editing and Adobe CS5 Master collection
-Video encoding and music encoding
-Music production studio - and utilization of software like East West/Quantum Leap
-MIDI Keyboard set up
-Web design
-High end-multi tasking
The reason for alien ware is because of the 5 year warranty offered.
Now about what I need from you is advice tech spec recommendations and my budget it 4.2k max
Note (that this laptop cannot be a desktop replacement)
I will take advice about desktops builds but prefer a laptop since I am on the go.)

Thanks
Nicolae V Geoghegan

Solution

So, have you cruised over to Dell and built out an XPS 17 yet?

Go here and build an Alienware M17x that has an 580m option:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-r3/pd.aspx

When money is no object, you can get a lot of system for the $$$. The issue is whether it is smart to lug one of these beasts around.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is excellent advice and I strongly agree.

If, however, you decide to ignore this advice, you can purchase an extended warranty from Dell for just about all of their products. You just select the support option you want at the end of the ordering/configuration process.

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Well I had a feeling that was the best choice, just thought I would ask, But can you get a computer that can do the stuff I want for 1500.00 I find hard to believe, and if there are please do please do share it. I am very multi tasking and graphics demanding person. I want fast and dependability. I want at least an intel I'7

Please explain this requirement further. Does that mean that a 15" 6.6lbs / 3kg notebook is not acceptable?

Yes you can.
Essentially, in terms of speed and performance you are telling us you want a desktop replacement notebook.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Newegg lists 97 i7 notebook systems. I am sure many of them can meet your needs. As a student, you can take advantage of many student discount programs, like those Dell offers. Also, many colleges and universities offer other programs with other vendors. Have you looked into any of those avenues?

No reason a Dell XPS 17 won't do exactly what you want.
A Core i7 2630QM quad core CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB RAID 0 7200rpm HDD, 17.3" 1920x1080 LCD w/ GT 555M graphics runs about $1,360.
When you add in 3yr full warranty coverage and 3yrs accident protection the whole package runs just under $1800.

You might want to check out student personal property insurance instead of just insuring your notebook.
http://www.nssi.com/ They cover student laptops, cameras, MP3 players, cell phones, musical instruments, etc. And they cover Accidental Damage, Theft, Fire, Flood, Natural Disasters, Vandalism and Lightning Strikes.
And accident damage and theft are an even bigger threat to your electronic personal property.

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I am leery about the 555m graphics card because they usually aren’t good I need people who have push them to their limits for example running Crisis on high setting and can I get a computer with a 580m for a good price or do I need to wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.