How do I copy from stereo

Have a Dell 8300. Excellent machine so far. Now I am trying to copy
msuic from cassette tapes to my HD. I think I have it figured out
except for 2 things.
Which of the audio jacks on the back of the PC is the input from the stereo?
Which application do I use to copy the music?

"old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
> Have a Dell 8300. Excellent machine so far. Now I am trying to copy
> msuic from cassette tapes to my HD. I think I have it figured out except
> for 2 things.
> Which of the audio jacks on the back of the PC is the input from the
> stereo?
> Which application do I use to copy the music?

Use the blue jack. It's 1/8" stereo so you'll probably a
dual-RCA-to-single-1/8"-stereo cord. There's all kinds of programs you can
use to record. For free I'd try Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

> "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Have a Dell 8300. Excellent machine so far. Now I am trying to copy
>>msuic from cassette tapes to my HD. I think I have it figured out except
>>for 2 things.
>>Which of the audio jacks on the back of the PC is the input from the
>>stereo?
>>Which application do I use to copy the music?
>

> Use the blue jack. It's 1/8" stereo so you'll probably a
> dual-RCA-to-single-1/8"-stereo cord. There's all kinds of programs you can
> use to record. For free I'd try Audacity:
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Thanks, but I have 2 blue jacks - one near the bottom of the PC (in
back) and one I found under a cover (actually the cover hid 5 jacks.
What are these?)

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

As a former Musican, i have done what you are trying. I did transfer some
vinyl a year or so. Forget the heavy duty programs, ( my friends use them &
have seen most of the, but it takes longer to figure out then they are
worth)

www.highcriteria.com

This a great program for about $12.00 i think . My 13 year old uses it a
lot. SIMPLE to use, as i have seen so many others.

Doc
> Ricky W. Hunt wrote:
>
> > "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Have a Dell 8300. Excellent machine so far. Now I am trying to copy
> >>msuic from cassette tapes to my HD. I think I have it figured out
except
> >>for 2 things.
> >>Which of the audio jacks on the back of the PC is the input from the
> >>stereo?
> >>Which application do I use to copy the music?
> >

> > Use the blue jack. It's 1/8" stereo so you'll probably a
> > dual-RCA-to-single-1/8"-stereo cord. There's all kinds of programs you
can
> > use to record. For free I'd try Audacity:
> > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
> >

> Thanks, but I have 2 blue jacks - one near the bottom of the PC (in
> back) and one I found under a cover (actually the cover hid 5 jacks.
> What are these?)

The organic entity known as old guy communicated the following:

>>>Which of the audio jacks on the back of the PC is the input from the
>>>stereo?
>>
>> Use the blue jack. It's 1/8" stereo so you'll probably a
>> dual-RCA-to-single-1/8"-stereo cord.
>>
> Thanks, but I have 2 blue jacks - one near the bottom of the PC (in
> back) and one I found under a cover (actually the cover hid 5 jacks.
> What are these?)

So follow the advice with either of the two blue jacks.

LaVacheQuiRit wrote:

> The organic entity known as old guy communicated the following:

>>>Use the blue jack. It's 1/8" stereo so you'll probably a
>>>dual-RCA-to-single-1/8"-stereo cord.
>>>

>>Thanks, but I have 2 blue jacks - one near the bottom of the PC (in
>>back) and one I found under a cover (actually the cover hid 5 jacks.
>>What are these?)
>

> So follow the advice with either of the two blue jacks.

Ah, so the 'hidden' ones are just spares. These Dell people think of
everything!!!

no -
You ordered an upgrade to the sound card. The covered ones are on the
motherboard, and are most likely disabled via the BIOS, and the other ones
are the connector to he sound card plugged into the system.
Jerry

> LaVacheQuiRit wrote:
>
> > The organic entity known as old guy communicated the following:

> >>Thanks, but I have 2 blue jacks - one near the bottom of the PC (in
> >>back) and one I found under a cover (actually the cover hid 5 jacks.
> >>What are these?)
> >

> > So follow the advice with either of the two blue jacks.
>
> Ah, so the 'hidden' ones are just spares. These Dell people think of
> everything!!!

No, the "hidden ones" on the front panel are for convenience. Two USB
ports, a headphone jack and a firewire port (optional). Not so convenient
to reach around back everytime you want to connect something.

WSZsr wrote:
> No, the "hidden ones" on the front panel are for convenience. Two USB
> ports, a headphone jack and a firewire port (optional). Not so convenient
> to reach around back everytime you want to connect something.
>
> "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ah, so the 'hidden' ones are just spares. These Dell people think of
>>everything!!!

Not quite. On the back of the PC are my standard(?) audio ports. A
little above that - still on the back - are 5 more audio(?) ports that
were covered by some type of plastic cover. In fact, both sets of ports
are visible on the quick setup sheet. So far, I have found no
explanation of this other than from Debuke, although I ordered the
standard PC.

> WSZsr wrote:
>> No, the "hidden ones" on the front panel are for convenience. Two USB
>> ports, a headphone jack and a firewire port (optional). Not so
>> convenient to reach around back everytime you want to connect something.
>>
>> "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Ah, so the 'hidden' ones are just spares. These Dell people think of
>>>everything!!!
>>

> Not quite. On the back of the PC are my standard(?) audio ports. A
> little above that - still on the back - are 5 more audio(?) ports that
> were covered by some type of plastic cover. In fact, both sets of ports
> are visible on the quick setup sheet. So far, I have found no explanation
> of this other than from Debuke, although I ordered the standard PC.

It's possible they are for the on-board sound on your MOBO which would be
disabled if you have a separate soundcard or they could be for surround
sound.