MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
There has been no words to say it won't. We know the hammer will use a different socket, but as the tbred, barton will still use socket a. This will be nice, but once the clawhammer is out, that's what I'm getting........:)

MeldarthX

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
AMD nor mobos' manufacturer haven't confirmed Barton compatibility with today's mobos, but it seems it will be.

In fact, is the most logical assumption. Probably a great percentage of Bartons sold will be to people with Tbird, AXP and Tbred looking for an upgrade and to enlarge mobos lifespan. Also, in theory, there will be only some months between Barton and Hammer, so I think people that will be thinking in building a new computer will wait for Hammer (it will be worth, they will take advantage of new socket, chipsets, etc.)

Also, from the technical point of view, Barton is just a Tbred with 512 instead of 256, no changes in core, so I suppose each mobo that todays support Tbred will support Barton.

A new BIOS could be needed in some cases, but that's all.

Hope this helps.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

eden

Champion
Well technically, the Wilamette Socket 478 was compatible with any mobo for Northwood which has 512K L2, so I don't see why current mobos won't use the Barton well. What I wish is that they surprise us with a 166MHZ bus.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anand Lal Shimpi:

"You've probably heard by now that AMD's Barton core will be released according to AMD's current roadmap. The Barton core will NOT employ Silicon on Insulator technology; it will simply use the current 0.13-micron process that was introduced with Thoroughbred. The only modification going into Barton will be the use of a 512KB L2 cache which is desperately needed by the current Athlon. Because of the exclusive L2 cache architecture employed by the K7 core and the very large L1 cache, Barton will have more data cache available than the Xeon, despite the fact that both processors will have a 512KB L2 cache."

"By the end of this year Barton will be introduced as an Athlon XP processor and in the following months you will see the core transition to the MP line as well. The Barton MP core will be the entry-level workstation and server CPU of choice as it will be much cheaper to produce than the Opterons that will be available."

So I'd guess yes.

- JW