Sign in with
Your question

Intel buys AMD

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2002 6:20:51 PM

i think AMD will go out of business and Intel will buy their tecnology. or Intel just might buy them before they go out of business.

ok now tell what you think. i really do think AMD will go out of business. i really hope i'm so wrong, please prove me wrong.

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com" target="_new"><b><font color=green>Go To My Site</A>

More about : intel buys amd

June 20, 2002 6:25:51 PM

AMD and Intel have been in deep rut many times, and they always recovered.

Besides you honestly think Sanders will want his hand and blood handed to Intel, his arch-rival? I think not. He'll bulldozer his fab before he ever does anything like that!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
June 20, 2002 6:29:47 PM

"He'll bulldozer his fab"
LOL

well i hope AMD will recover, but it just looks bad right now

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com" target="_new"><b><font color=green>Go To My Site</A>
Related resources
June 20, 2002 6:41:30 PM

I wouldn't worry, they never were that much in the big money world anyway. Always an underdog with little limited money, so you can say they've been used to being in the red if that is what it means when you're low cash...

--
June 20, 2002 6:45:12 PM

I don't think Intel would buy AMD. Even if Intel wanted to SEC would dis-approve it because it would leave no compitition in the CPU market. Also Intel would get in lot of trouble like Microsoft about being a monopoly.

KG

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Sarah Chambers
June 20, 2002 7:01:03 PM

Such a buy out would never be approved.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!
June 20, 2002 7:45:51 PM

Actually AMD has loads of money. It has around 1 billion. That's a lot less than Intel, but sill a lot for a 4 billion company. BTW did you know Microsoft has more than 50 billion in greenbacks?

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:
June 20, 2002 8:59:54 PM

Yeah, but it's not the same scenario that AMD was in several years ago. All they had then was the K6 series which was being raped by Intel's processors. Then, the Athlon and Coppermine came along, and things got different fast. But now, both companies have better assets, and it's not the same deal. Try to think of it this way, what if the hammer completely blows everyone out of the water. Now, I don't think that is going to happen, but what if AMD sent Intel packing? Wouldn't that be a shock. Try that for size.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
June 21, 2002 2:13:41 AM

AMDs main areas are flash, desktop, mobile and a very small slice of the server pie. Whenever one isnt selling, the others usually are. Not this time. None of them are doing all that great. They expect an upturn in mirror-bit flash. But not enough to offset losses in other areas.
all AMD has left is Dresden and Austin fabs. They already layed off thousands of people. They already are closing down Fabs 14/15. (which were on the .25 micron i think). SO there isnt much left to cut. THey could get out of chipsets entirely.. and not make any more reference designs. But that would be a mistake and not save a whole lot.
The market is depressed right now anyway. The real tell-tale sign will be in summer of next year. After Hammer has matured and the market has picked up a little. If things arent drastically better in one year, I would get worried too. Besides, why would Intel bother buying AMD? Just let them go outta business and then take over the world.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
June 21, 2002 7:20:45 AM

They drag average selling price down that why they lose cash

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie
June 21, 2002 7:36:38 AM

Logically, if AMD still has actual cash on hand, rather than just assets, they can weather the market downturn like any other company. Cost-saving measures would be taken, but in truth, it's better in the long run, as a recession allows a company time to step back and examine itself internally, trim the fat, and get ready for when the market takes off again. That doesn't work so hot when you have debt to pay off, but with cash on hand, you have something to invest into a safe fund to get some interest, and something of a cushion.

Recession is good, as it usually weeds out the weak and stupid companies, and allows the intelligent ones time to retool.

And don't forget that Intel also had a similar announcement a few weeks ago, so this really should not have come as a surprise to anyone. Both are in dire straits, if you only look at sales and revenue growth, but unless the recession lasts into the middle of the decade, both will be fine.

-SammyBoy
June 21, 2002 4:05:18 PM

BUY BUY BUY

that's my $.02

I'm not really human, I just play one on TV
June 22, 2002 4:04:28 AM

well when i made this post, i messed up. i didn't want to say intel will buy AMD, but intel will buy AMDs technology and that can very easy.

June 22, 2002 5:51:50 AM

just like selling your daughters. :smile:

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>
June 22, 2002 8:01:06 AM

What the? Where are you from LoL...I'm worried for your mental health.

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*
June 22, 2002 5:43:48 PM

????? Do you mean that Intel can put the tech of an Athlon inside the pentium?

I remember somebody put something like this in his sig "Intel + AMD = Pentathlon".

DISCUSTING!

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!
June 22, 2002 5:47:40 PM

That was ME!! :smile:

Quote:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

That used to be my sig!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
June 22, 2002 6:16:44 PM

btw I didn't mean that your sig was discusting.

It's the thought of a pentium with a partially Atlon/duron core what makes me sick! :frown:

But on the orher hand, it can also mean that Intel needs a tech from AMD to improve the pentium. Meaning AMD tech is more advanced/better than Intel tech. (Is partially correct: Pentium needs high speeds to keep up with Athlon XP)

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zeexen on 06/23/02 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 22, 2002 11:20:48 PM

Please, it's PENTIUM not PENTUIM! :wink:

--
June 23, 2002 7:52:37 AM

woahhh

how did you come up with that? :eek: 

June 23, 2002 7:54:32 AM

you must know poobaa.

every one knows the great poobaa

June 23, 2002 8:04:10 AM

*HONK*

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>
June 23, 2002 6:28:50 PM

OOPS! Did I misspell Pentium?
Oh, I’m so sorry for that. Please don’t kill me! :eek:  (dude,take a chill-pill; sit back and relax man) :tongue:

June 23, 2002 6:32:36 PM

Ok, I've edited my reply.

June 23, 2002 8:36:44 PM

oh yeah? but that doesn't mean you know how to spell pentium.

June 23, 2002 8:57:22 PM

It wasn't for you Scamtron, but for <font color=green>EDEN</font color=green>.

The fastest cpu of today will be slow on the same day next year. :mad: 
June 23, 2002 10:49:31 PM

i know, but i'm from the "other" forum and we always fuckk around there. i guess its a habbit now. you should come there, its fun

June 23, 2002 11:42:46 PM

If you noticed, I added a wink smiley, so you'd know I am not being rude or anything, and in fact kidding you in a good way!

Geez nobody gets positive jokes these days! :tongue:

--
June 24, 2002 5:52:43 PM

Hey, nobody gets a green name except for me, dammit! :mad: 

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 24, 2002 9:12:58 PM

hey fatty, don't do that. he'll get mad at you too.

June 25, 2002 2:44:20 PM

hey <font color=green><b>fatty</b></font color=green>, don't do that. he'll get mad at you too.
June 25, 2002 4:10:49 PM

hey <i><font color=orange>fatty</font color=orange></i>, don't do that. he'll get mad at you too.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 25, 2002 6:21:50 PM

<font color=green><b>He</b></font color=green> called <font color=orange><b>you</b></font color=orange> <font color=green><b>FAT</b></font color=green> <b><font color=orange>scammy</b></font color=orange>
!