jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you think the next pentium will be a pentium 5 or will they move on to some other naming convention?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

FENRlZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
It´ll probably be a Pentium V. It was Pentium II and Pentium III. Pentium IV, didn´t look right, so they made it Pentium 4. I´m sure they´ll call it Pentium V, maybe even V for victory over AMD?

I had a cool sig. ready, but my dog ate it!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If you mean Prescott, it'll still be a Pentium4. Also as for the next chip that requires a new name I'd think it'll be P5 since Intel has spent a lot of money on the Pentium name advertising it and putting it with a lot of other names.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

eden

Champion
Well they called the cores back then P6, so I don't think they can go back to P6 in the future!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have a P5 66 around here somewhere!
I know! It's mad. I don't know why Intel ever abused the Pentium name so badly, but there sure will be a mess if the Pentium V ever comes out. Heh heh. Imagine all of the people with ancient chips that will rape eBay. Heh heh heh.

On an even less serious note, I seriously hope that Intel never buys out AMD or the next chip you see might be the <b>Pentium 5a XP 4000+</b>.

Honestly, what the hell is going through the minds of marketting these days? (And how much do I have to pay to make the answer ' a bullet'?)

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
oh man, i forgot about those! it would be rediculous if the used the name p5 again! ok, lets think of a new pentium name...
how about, the pentium costalota? : P

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I'd be P5 for short... oh wait... that was what the origional Pentium was called for short for a while...

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Personaly, I was waiting for the Hexium processor when the PII came out. They could do it that way.

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
then in the far off future, we could have the dodecahedrium. with googleplex threading.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
My pick: <font color=blue>Pentium</font color=blue> <font color=red>X5</font color=red> or "Pentium times 5"

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
If you mean Prescott, it'll still be a Pentium4.
Not if Intel follows their past history. With such a big redesign, I believe they'll want to use a new name. Pentium Ultra (or what ever AMD uses for the clawhammer) would be hilarious.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

eden

Champion
Actually we're not sure anymore if Intel is generous enough to provide a major redesign. Expected changes are a definite FSB increase (starts at 533MHZ, goes to 667MHZ then 800MHZ once 200MHZ DDR or RDRAM is available), more cache, component improvements. Now the final one is the deciding one whether or not it's a major redesign. One can't help but wonder with the added IPC of the components, would 1MB cache be so wise, or rather a waste? Imagine the number of transistors needed for an extra 512K, hell even 0.09m will not be enough in the end! The thing will be huge, and will power a neighborhood! Of course it's almost midnight here so don't mind my speculations!

--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
People would get the P^2 sign mixed up with the PII. But hey, the socket is usually square, so...

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Suggestions for next intel processor:

Intel Pentium V: No good. Confuse with old P5.

Intel Pentium 5: No good. See above and sounds like the Famous Five.

Intel Hexium: No good. Confuse with Hexen the game and christians everywhere will bitch about it being a name of evil.

Intel Get Bentium: No good. AMD followers will take it as an insult.

Intel Super Number One Processor: No good. Big in Japan, but nowhere else.

Intel Bestium: No good. Suggests immoral relations with animals.

Intel Creamy Goodness: No good. Reminds people of milk.

Intel "I Can't Believe It's Not Another F**king Pentium": No good. Reminds people of margarine.

Intel Really Cool Processor: No good. Morons think it won't need a heatsink.

Best name for processor:

Intel Who Cares Can I Read My E-mail With It?

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL!!! You would be AMAZED at how many people argue with me over that; I try to sell them a cheap refurb, they say "no, it won't run XP". I ask them why they want XP and they say "I think I'll need it to read my email". NO [-peep-]!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Heheheh, funnier was how my aunt's side of the family, has a sister who's husband bought a P4 1.5GHZ with SDRAM. They complained how the thing was slower than their P3!!!
It's true, nobody asks themselves WHY do they need all that power.

What we do know is that the next Pentium name will require a lot of R&D money to be approved, as with all the hurdles we are seeing, as well as OzzieBloke's suggestions! :smile:

--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the Pentium 4 was over 30% slower clock for clock than the Pentium 3, and SDRAM slowed the system by an additional 30%, if you take both into account, that P4 1.5 was performing like a PIII 600!!! I gotta LMAO about that because my neighbor bought a new Dell P4 1.3 with 128MB SDRAM, WinXP, and an ATI Rage 128 video card, for $1200, instead of buying my PIII 1000EB, Radeon DDR, 98SE system because they said mine was "too slow"! WinXP uses 256MB by itself, BTW, their system was running off virtual memory from the time it booted, it looked about as slow as a PII 266 to me!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
98SE system because they said mine was "too slow"! WinXP uses 256MB by itself,

Actually normal just windows xp hovers around 120 megs memory usage, not 256 by itself.

And windows xp drops non needed components to swap when you run an app, so you only notice the lack of memory when you close and open apps, not when they are running.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: