Sign in with
Your question

next pentium name

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2002 8:16:10 PM

you think the next pentium will be a pentium 5 or will they move on to some other naming convention?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

More about : pentium

June 20, 2002 8:33:39 PM

It´ll probably be a Pentium V. It was Pentium II and Pentium III. Pentium IV, didn´t look right, so they made it Pentium 4. I´m sure they´ll call it Pentium V, maybe even V for victory over AMD?

I had a cool sig. ready, but my dog ate it!
June 20, 2002 8:35:11 PM

If you mean Prescott, it'll still be a Pentium4. Also as for the next chip that requires a new name I'd think it'll be P5 since Intel has spent a lot of money on the Pentium name advertising it and putting it with a lot of other names.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:
Related resources
June 20, 2002 11:26:39 PM

I probably will be called a Pentium 5...but that sounds pretty redundant, IMO
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2002 3:44:44 AM

I have a P5 66 around here somewhere!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
June 21, 2002 1:44:43 PM

Well they called the cores back then P6, so I don't think they can go back to P6 in the future!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
June 21, 2002 2:39:47 PM

Quote:
I have a P5 66 around here somewhere!

I know! It's mad. I don't know why Intel ever abused the Pentium name so badly, but there sure will be a mess if the Pentium V ever comes out. Heh heh. Imagine all of the people with ancient chips that will rape eBay. Heh heh heh.

On an even less serious note, I seriously hope that Intel never buys out AMD or the next chip you see might be the <b>Pentium 5a XP 4000+</b>.

Honestly, what the hell is going through the minds of marketting these days? (And how much do I have to pay to make the answer ' a bullet'?)

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
June 21, 2002 4:47:58 PM

oh man, i forgot about those! it would be rediculous if the used the name p5 again! ok, lets think of a new pentium name...
how about, the pentium costalota? : P

June 21, 2002 8:38:51 PM

I'd be P5 for short... oh wait... that was what the origional Pentium was called for short for a while...

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.
June 21, 2002 8:43:32 PM

Personaly, I was waiting for the Hexium processor when the PII came out. They could do it that way.

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.
June 21, 2002 8:47:57 PM

then in the far off future, we could have the dodecahedrium. with googleplex threading.

a b à CPUs
June 21, 2002 9:12:39 PM

Hmmm, how about the Pentium Pentium?

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
June 21, 2002 9:13:43 PM

hehehe, we could call it pentium 2 for short, oh wait lol

June 21, 2002 10:12:45 PM

"Hmmm, how about the Pentium Pentium?"

or P squared for short
June 21, 2002 10:41:23 PM

My pick: <font color=blue>Pentium</font color=blue> <font color=red>X5</font color=red> or "Pentium times 5"

:eek:  :frown: :mad:  :eek:  :redface: :cool: :lol:  :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :) 
June 21, 2002 11:38:09 PM

Quote:
If you mean Prescott, it'll still be a Pentium4.

Not if Intel follows their past history. With such a big redesign, I believe they'll want to use a new name. Pentium Ultra (or what ever AMD uses for the clawhammer) would be hilarious.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.
June 22, 2002 3:31:44 AM

Actually we're not sure anymore if Intel is generous enough to provide a major redesign. Expected changes are a definite FSB increase (starts at 533MHZ, goes to 667MHZ then 800MHZ once 200MHZ DDR or RDRAM is available), more cache, component improvements. Now the final one is the deciding one whether or not it's a major redesign. One can't help but wonder with the added IPC of the components, would 1MB cache be so wise, or rather a waste? Imagine the number of transistors needed for an extra 512K, hell even 0.09m will not be enough in the end! The thing will be huge, and will power a neighborhood! Of course it's almost midnight here so don't mind my speculations!

--
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2002 4:21:07 AM

People would get the P^2 sign mixed up with the PII. But hey, the socket is usually square, so...

June 22, 2002 5:29:30 AM

Suggestions for next intel processor:

Intel Pentium V: No good. Confuse with old P5.

Intel Pentium 5: No good. See above and sounds like the Famous Five.

Intel Hexium: No good. Confuse with Hexen the game and christians everywhere will bitch about it being a name of evil.

Intel Get Bentium: No good. AMD followers will take it as an insult.

Intel Super Number One Processor: No good. Big in Japan, but nowhere else.

Intel Bestium: No good. Suggests immoral relations with animals.

Intel Creamy Goodness: No good. Reminds people of milk.

Intel "I Can't Believe It's Not Another F**king Pentium": No good. Reminds people of margarine.

Intel Really Cool Processor: No good. Morons think it won't need a heatsink.

Best name for processor:

Intel Who Cares Can I Read My E-mail With It?

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2002 5:36:43 AM

LOL!!! You would be AMAZED at how many people argue with me over that; I try to sell them a cheap refurb, they say "no, it won't run XP". I ask them why they want XP and they say "I think I'll need it to read my email". NO [-peep-]!

June 22, 2002 9:03:18 PM

Anyone care for a 5 5 Processor ?

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
June 22, 2002 11:18:39 PM

Heheheh, funnier was how my aunt's side of the family, has a sister who's husband bought a P4 1.5GHZ with SDRAM. They complained how the thing was slower than their P3!!!
It's true, nobody asks themselves WHY do they need all that power.

What we do know is that the next Pentium name will require a lot of R&D money to be approved, as with all the hurdles we are seeing, as well as OzzieBloke's suggestions! :smile:

--
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 4:22:37 AM

Oh, oh! Like, P55C?

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 4:32:17 AM

Yes, the Pentium 4 was over 30% slower clock for clock than the Pentium 3, and SDRAM slowed the system by an additional 30%, if you take both into account, that P4 1.5 was performing like a PIII 600!!! I gotta LMAO about that because my neighbor bought a new Dell P4 1.3 with 128MB SDRAM, WinXP, and an ATI Rage 128 video card, for $1200, instead of buying my PIII 1000EB, Radeon DDR, 98SE system because they said mine was "too slow"! WinXP uses 256MB by itself, BTW, their system was running off virtual memory from the time it booted, it looked about as slow as a PII 266 to me!

June 23, 2002 4:55:11 AM

Quote:
98SE system because they said mine was "too slow"! WinXP uses 256MB by itself,

Actually normal just windows xp hovers around 120 megs memory usage, not 256 by itself.

And windows xp drops non needed components to swap when you run an app, so you only notice the lack of memory when you close and open apps, not when they are running.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 5:22:37 AM

Oh, so my incredible loss of performance going from 98SE to XP was caused by <i>other</i> issues with XP, I understand now, XP drags butt.

June 23, 2002 6:05:48 AM

You are exagerating, xp performs no more than 3-5% slower than 98se, your case has to have been caused by ancient crap hardware no one writes modern drivers for my friend.

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 8:33:49 AM

Crap? Strong language, coming from you, the king of crap! Aren't you one of the loosers who said the Win98SE is unstable? I mean, give me a break, I've left my system up cruching numbers for two months before without a crash, under Win98SE. So evidently it's not Win98SE that was unstable, but your CRAP HARDWARE!!! Now, I can't help it if the best all around PC soundcard is only properly supported on GOOD motherboards and Win9x, complain to Creative, they own the drivers now! BTW, I didn't have driver problems in XP with the soundcard, but rather, my NEW USB modem and my top notch TV card. And a bunch of software that uses certain DOS mode stuff. Now before you go on with more stupidity about how such programs are crap, take this lesson-we buy new hardware and software so we can do MORE, NOT LESS. Hmm, the last time I saw a BSOD? On a VIA chipset system. Wait, isn't that what you own? So tell me more about your CRAP.

You calling my quality hardware Crap just because it's a couple years old can be compared to this scenario-Imagine if the only type of tire that fit a Ferrari was a kind known to blow out every so often, an undetermined intervals, 100 miles for one tire and 20,000 miles for another. Now you want to compare this special Ferrari to a BMW 850 that is completely reliable. You pull up to the BMW and tell him what crap his car is, and that you want to race. He laughs and decides to race you anyway. You take off at 180MPH, he takes off at 120MPH. After a few hours, he passes your wrecked car that went out of controll because it lost a tire. Later you see him again and tell him that your car may crash a lot, but his is still crap!!!

We will call this national roadway system that your car crashes on but mine doesn't Win98SE. It goes everywhere.

Then someone comes along with a new type of ROAD the has soft side cushions and a pit crew every mile. Your car still crashes, but the pit crew works so fast you don't see them, in fact, you don't notice that your car crashed at all, only that it seems to slow down every so often. You decide that you will only drive on this road from now on, even though it never goes to the places you would like to go. That's Windows XP.

While you're stuck on Windows XP going only to the places along the WinXP roadway, I'm going shoping, visiting my Parents, and having the time of my life. You on the other hand are simply happy that your car "quit crashing".

June 23, 2002 9:57:33 AM

Quote:
Crap? Strong language, coming from you, the king of crap! Aren't you one of the loosers who said the Win98SE is unstable? I mean, give me a break,

King of crap? WTF?

Windows 98se is less stable than xp, period.

BTW: my 98se rarely crashed, and it was usually my fault, xp never crashes EVEN IF I TRY TO MAKE IT CRASH.

Quote:
I've left my system up cruching numbers for two months before without a crash, under Win98SE.

Yeah yeah, and everything via you have ever owned ate your dog, and didnt bring you cookies when you were sad.

Quote:
So evidently it's not Win98SE that was unstable, but your CRAP HARDWARE!!! Now, I can't help it if the best all around PC soundcard is only properly supported on GOOD motherboards and Win9x, complain to Creative,

My turtlebeach santacruz is the best all around card, creative dosent need to hear from me.

Quote:
BTW, I didn't have driver problems in XP with the soundcard, but rather, my NEW USB modem and my top notch TV card.

Was it a win modem, which was designed for win9x, and when you say new, do you mean less than 1 year old, cause iirc the "top notch" tv card was ANCIENT, its the same thing if you complained cause xp dosent have good native voodoo3 drivers, IE, retarded.

Quote:
a bunch of software that uses certain DOS mode stuff.

Windows xp's dos emulation sucks, and they say as much, if you have tons of 1337 dos crap then dont get windows xp, thats fine and like your not liking via for justified reasons, that too is a reason not to upgrade to xp, NOT A REASON TO MAKE UP PERFORMANCE CLAIMS AND RIP ON XP.

Quote:
Wait, isn't that what you own? So tell me more about your CRAP.

I own an amd760 mobo, how about getting your facts straight before calling me the king of crap.

Quote:
You calling my quality hardware Crap just because it's a couple years old can be compared to this scenario-

I am saying attacking windows xp because it dosent have timely driver support for stuff thats 2 years old + which not even its makers support anymore is not a very bright thing to do.

Your roadway analogy is a pretty one except windows 98se didnt crash for me, I run 2-5% slower with windows xp, but in trade for that I get tons of features which blow 98se away, I get instant networking with true plug and play, I get support for my modern hardware, and If I have to upgrade my NES emulator to a non dos version then by god I will upgrade.

Quote:
We will call this national roadway system that your car crashes on but mine doesn't Win98SE. It goes everywhere.

My car rarely crashed on this 98 roadway, and furthermore with my faster via hardware(at the time) it probably was a hell of a lot faster than your clunker.

Quote:
You decide that you will only drive on this road from now on, even though it never goes to the places you would like to go. That's Windows XP.

The only place my xp road dosnt go is to ghetto burg the place for outdated and obsolete hardware and dos software. Your side of the tracks apparently.

Quote:
While you're stuck on Windows XP going only to the places along the WinXP roadway, I'm going shoping, visiting my Parents, and having the time of my life. You on the other hand are simply happy that your car "quit crashing".

LoL, bad argument based on false information.

PS: my comment was in jest but I detected a mean tone in yours, if you wanna go 10 rounds about this we can, but Id prefer to remain friends, up to you.

June 23, 2002 12:10:41 PM

Hey, would you two stop bitching, okay? You're both pissing me off... you have your Porsches and BMWs, I got a Cyrix 166@133 running Win95 on a non-descript motherboard and a 1meg S3 Trio... I'VE GOT A FREAKING SKATEBOARD! Admittedly my road has been smooth for the last 6 years with only 3 potholes in it. But when people overtake you in freaking Volkswagens, you get a bit pissed :/ 

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.
June 23, 2002 12:31:31 PM

Im not bitching, crash decided to call me the king of crap heh, just informing him his assumptions were wrong and I am in fact not running with via.

June 23, 2002 2:41:34 PM

Mat, it seems that you really like to argue (like me). Are you a lawyer by any chance?

I know you're just countering Crashman, but it seems you like to start arguments.

Quote:
<i> originally written by Matisaro </i>
Windows 98se is less stable than xp, period.

BTW: my 98se rarely crashed, and it was usually my fault, xp never crashes EVEN IF I TRY TO MAKE IT CRASH.

Less stable? My system (WIn98SE) has been running very stable for about 5 months now. The only things that cause problems are 3 programs: Zonealarm, Kazaa Lite, and a Winamp skin. I got rid of Zonealarm, and IE stopped crashing. Kazaa Lite only crashes occasionally, and I can get rid of the Winamp Skin.

BTW: other than that, the system runs perfectly, thanks to alot of tweaking and optimizing, and I'm running a Via chipset too! WinXP is just useless for me. System Restore I don't need, because I've always recovered from any problems that I had. System watchdog is also useless, and so are those fancy new colours and effects. They just slow my system down. Plus, WinXP does way too much stuff for you automatically, and it's not very compatible. On Win98SE, you can run old DOS proggies, as well as the latest and greatest software. It (XP) eats alot more RAM then 98 too. On my computer, Win98SE eats only about 35-40MB RAM.

My computer runs faster then the Win 95 computers at my school, which have similar specs to my system.

I'm basically getting lighting fast Win 95 speed on my 98 system.

Quote:
<i>originally written by Matisaro</i>
I am saying attacking windows xp because it dosent have timely driver support for stuff thats 2 years old + which not even its makers support anymore is not a very bright thing to do.

Ya well, the fact that Microsoft didn't include all the Driver support that 98 had in WinXP isn't exactly bright, either.

I was simply trying to prove that an <i>optimized and tweaked </i>98SE is the "sweet spot" of OS's right now. It's fast, compatible, and stable.

------------------------------------------------
Montecito & Chivano; Intel's Big Guns.
June 23, 2002 3:13:25 PM

"Ya well, the fact that Microsoft didn't include all the Driver support that 98 had in WinXP isn't exactly bright, either."

You're either kidding, or ignorant.

I sold my sig for $50.
June 23, 2002 3:23:23 PM

Quote:
Mat, it seems that you really like to argue (like me). Are you a lawyer by any chance?

I know you're just countering Crashman, but it seems you like to start arguments.

I dont argue, I debate.

And no, not a lawyer, I am in the semiconductor industry.

Quote:
Less stable? My system (WIn98SE) has been running very stable for about 5 months now. The only things that cause problems are 3 programs: Zonealarm, Kazaa Lite, and a Winamp skin. I got rid of Zonealarm, and IE stopped crashing. Kazaa Lite only crashes occasionally, and I can get rid of the Winamp Skin.

Anecdotal evidence does not disprove my claim, windows xp is built on a more stable core, things which will make 98 crash xp will recover from easily.

Quote:
It (XP) eats alot more RAM then 98 too. On my computer, Win98SE eats only about 35-40MB RAM.

Xp does use more ram, it does more work as well, windows 98 eats more ram than 3.11 would you rather run 3.11 or do you recognize the ascenine nature of that particular argument you just used.

Quote:
WinXP does way too much stuff for you automatically, and it's not very compatible.

Windows xp is comptable with nearly every application that windows98se can run, and many dos programs run fine in winxp dos emulation.

Although its a damn shame that I cant play wolfenstein 3d anymore, ::single tear rolls down my cheek::

Quote:
Ya well, the fact that Microsoft didn't include all the Driver support that 98 had in WinXP isn't exactly bright, either.

I was simply trying to prove that an optimized and tweaked 98SE is the "sweet spot" of OS's right now. It's fast, compatible, and stable.

1. The windows xp came with out of the box support for way more stuff than 98se, and with the exception of dos apps it runs everything 98se does, any apps that xp cant run in 98 comptabaility mode microsoft is working to fix and releases compatability patches regularly.

2. Windows xp out of the box is more stable, more robust and has more features than 98se, and it IS the sweet spot for computers now. Anyone who disagrees either has old hardware which xp specifically dosent support, or is wrong.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 3:42:14 PM

Quote:
I was simply trying to prove that an optimized and tweaked 98SE is the "sweet spot" of OS's right now. It's fast, compatible, and stable.

what that? a lawyer point of view?

Intel for free. AMD for fee.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 4:00:57 PM

i have 300MB kept by xp after it would have started. :smile:

(& off course all my toytools loaded)

currently 400MB kept but i have loaded furthermore Outlook&IE. :smile:

to be safe i need now 1GB of memory to let me work on dev tools.

but whatever, xp doesn't need a lot of memory but a HUGE COLOSSAL GIGANTIC ENORMOUS cluster of sticks.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 4:07:34 PM

are you sick?

hrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmffffffffffffff, maybe you don't support car races.

June 23, 2002 4:13:15 PM

I do agree WinXP currently is much better than Win98, and ever since I moved to it, I just never wanted to come back to a Win98 system.

WinXP made my computing easier, I'm not a person that likes to have to update and update and get more settings done just to start a fresh clean system. WinXP detects things automatically and installs a generic driver in case you don't have the hardware's. I installed my webcam, and as soon as it touched the USB plug, WinXP detected and began to install. I went to My Computer, found an easy simple testing Webcam program by MS integrated into WinXP. I could easily know the cam works. I then installed the Logitech software and drivers as well from their website. (The retail boxed CD didn't have WinXP, I bought it off a friend who had the box untouched since a year almost)

The only times WinXP crashed with me are:
1)The Nvidia bug with giving a blue screen due to the nv4_disp.dll. It's some kind of loop crash bug done in Direct 3D environments and comes extremly rare.
2)A program is FORCED to crash, for example I tried NeverWinter Nights, but it was a downloaded version, and since I didn't install the Play Disc into HDD, the game would crash as soon as the first dialog voice is supposed to be started, and that is in the beginning of the game in Single Player, when you get out of the room. It's rare things like these that make a crash.
3)IE6 has this weird rare bug where going to some website randomly makes the program hang, and I cannot do anything else, no Alt-Ctrl-Del or even Ctrl-Esc. Mouse can move, but it stutters for no reason.

What I even like more is how when sometimes number 3 occurs, pressing the reboot button will not give me a CHKDSK session, or when I get powerouts sometimes, (for some reason we have poor circuit poles in this region of Hull) they come often in 2 or 3 powerouts for a split second so the system just restarts 2-3 times in 5 seconds only. Well I was surprised to see NOTHING corrupted, no CHKDSK, the system booted flawlessly as if nothing happened. WinXP seems to manage errors much better than Win98 did. I am speaking by 3 years of Win98 experience on my old Pentium 2 350MMX.
Overall I would NOT return to Win98 if offered, EVER.

PS: I got Doom II running perfectly using its special ZDOOM software. It feels almost the same, sadly the SB Live changes the music playback style to more recent midi tables. I prefered the old SB AWE64 music, which was the one almost all SB users had back then.

--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 4:18:21 PM

Quote:
the Pentium 5a XP 4000+.

tsk tsk. 4000+ is AMD related. Intel is in competition against AMD but he doesn't want sowing the confusion among consumers.

June 23, 2002 4:34:10 PM

The next pentium will be called
Intel Retardium because intel is always soo retarded.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2002 5:00:48 PM

not at this time. anyway. hehe.

June 23, 2002 5:35:51 PM

That's a rather troll move.
I'd agree on their marketting department but certainly not the technology sector of Intel.

--
June 23, 2002 6:42:57 PM

Wish I new about that rare IE6 bug long before I changed the cooling in my case, changed the powersupply, played with different drivers, and reformatted and reinstalled. I had issues with a few other applications, which I now see were unrelated, which lead me away from thinking the problem was with IE alone. Damn!
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2002 12:28:11 AM

Yes, in fact I used to race.

!