Sign in with
Your question

will my duron overheat

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2002 10:40:19 PM

Im the guy whos been posting the celeron 1.7 vs. duron 1.3 questions lately. Well you guys sold me on the Duron 1.3. Looking at lots of posts here though I see lots of overheating questions. Oddly enough, they are almost all about amd's. :-( I dont know what kind of fan it came with. I will NEVER overclock it. I will probably never play games on it. Surfing the web, using word, maybe having fun with the wife on the web cam, thats about it. Am I the type of guy that should be worried about overheating? What about leaving it on all the time?

More about : duron overheat

June 20, 2002 10:47:17 PM

Use the fan that comes with the boxed (retail) version, you can leave it on 24/7/365 without worrying about overheating.

Well, I'm assuming you're not planning on wrapping your computer in blankets or something :lol: 

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 20, 2002 10:50:29 PM

"Am I the type of guy that should be worried about overheating? What about leaving it on all the time?"

dont worry at all, leave it on all day and all night and it will be absolutely fine, no problem

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 20, 2002 11:13:29 PM

So are all the posts Im reading about due to overclocking???
June 20, 2002 11:20:17 PM

More likely either badly set up machines, or people worried for no reason.

June 20, 2002 11:55:20 PM

Unless they forget to attach the fan cable to a fan header on the motherboard...

"When there's a will, there's a way."
June 20, 2002 11:58:57 PM

Like I said, badly set up machines.

June 21, 2002 12:46:51 AM

heh, yeah...VERY badly set up if you forget the fan...heck, poor if you forget the case fan...

"When there's a will, there's a way."
June 21, 2002 3:33:43 AM

proof maybe that there are lots of morons in the world yes. as i once said: some people dont deserve to have AMD cpu's.

if you dont overclock, use the stock heatsink properly then you will have no problems.
and regarding temps, if it runs, its fine.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>
June 21, 2002 5:56:19 AM

Those arent overheating questions, they are is this temp ok questions, and invariably the temps are fine.

Sadly theres a huge cloud of fud about amd temps that people need to get over.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 21, 2002 6:13:04 AM

yeah... may i be the first to say

"oh no! my temp is over 50!!! the inhumanity!!! im meeeellllttting im meeeelllltttiiinnggg"

hehehe

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>
June 21, 2002 12:53:14 PM

I don´t agree! Some mainboards and CPU´s freeze when the CPU get to 60°C. I don´t know wether it´s the low-quality mainboards or CPUs, but 60°C isn´t that much, and a lot of people get all sorts of errors at or above that temperature!!! It may be that the CPU will only melt at 90°C+, but in most cases it´ll be very unstable above 55-60°C!
Fixing the temperature is easy, and it may solve a lot of irritating problems. I think it´s ok that people ask wether their CPU should run at a given temperature or if they´d be better off lowering it.

Maybe all you hardcore freaks should take it easy, and give the other guys some room, instead of complaining about every little thing??? Lowering the temp. solves problems, and improves allround performance, anyone with a real computer-related education would know this, end of story!
June 21, 2002 4:33:57 PM

Quote:
Im the guy whos been posting the celeron 1.7 vs. duron 1.3 questions lately. Well you guys sold me on the Duron 1.3. Looking at lots of posts here though I see lots of overheating questions. Oddly enough, they are almost all about amd's. :-( I dont know what kind of fan it came with. I will NEVER overclock it. I will probably never play games on it. Surfing the web, using word, maybe having fun with the wife on the web cam, thats about it. Am I the type of guy that should be worried about overheating? What about leaving it on all the time?

The AMD Duron does not have any thermal protection at all, none whatsoever.

your system will be in danger of frying in a matter of seconds if you leave it on and go to work or to the store etc,.

AMD will not refund or exchange your cpu when it fries, they will blame it on you(user error).

why would you buy a system with a cpu that has no thermal protection, when the cpu is the hottest part of the box? just to save...what, $10 bucks?

[edit]
I forgot to mention that the pos durons(or any Athlon) also are prone to crushed cores and crumbles if you stare at it long enough.

the k6 was an engineering masterpiece compared to those.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 06/21/02 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 4:58:16 PM

durons are very reliable, unless you are a complete retard you cant go wrong, actually i have known retarded people who have not done it wrong. amd would replace the chip if it failed and was their fault, they wouldnt replace it if you sent it back and the multiplyer was unlocked or the core was crushed or something like that, this isnt speculation, this is fact.

June 21, 2002 5:03:32 PM

liar liar pants on fire.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 21, 2002 7:52:11 PM

Quote:
don´t agree! Some mainboards and CPU´s freeze when the CPU get to 60°C. I don´t know wether it´s the low-quality mainboards or CPUs, but 60°C isn´t that much, and a lot of people get all sorts of errors at or above that temperature!!! It may be that the CPU will only melt at 90°C+, but in most cases it´ll be very unstable above 55-60°C!
Fixing the temperature is easy, and it may solve a lot of irritating problems. I think it´s ok that people ask wether their CPU should run at a given temperature or if they´d be better off lowering it.

If the temp causes lockups its a problem, if there are no lockups EVEN IF ITS @70c ITS NOT A PROBLEM.

Quote:
Lowering the temp. solves problems, and improves allround performance, anyone with a real computer-related education would know this, end of story!

Only if the temp is a problem, and anyone with a brain knows lowering temp does NOT increase performance, an axp 1700+@45C performs EXACTLY the same as a 1700+@60C.

Too many people post "my temp is 60C im not locking up, HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM!!" AND most of us are tired of it, if you do not lock up, YOU HAVE NO ISSUE.

PERIOD.

June 21, 2002 8:57:14 PM

In your profile... Occupation: Semiconductor Industry, and you´re saying lowering the temperature doesn´t increase allround system performance and stability??? LOL - you go girl!!! Hahahaha
June 21, 2002 9:04:38 PM

Yep, lowering heat does NOT increase system performance, and it ONLY increases system stability if your temps were too high in the first place.

If you run@70C with no lockups lowering your temp to 45C will NOT make your chip run faster, it will NOT make your chip more stable(as it wasnt locking up before).

I know you think your right, but your not.

I do work in the semiconductor industry and I know I am right.

You go girl?

June 21, 2002 9:16:23 PM

mat is right, technically temp shouldnt have any noticable impact and practically i know for a fact that it doesnt, temp is only an issue when it causes instability, which is never unless you overclock.

June 21, 2002 9:19:05 PM

I´m not talking about making your CPU run faster, but about performance (you know like less BSOD´s, re-boots ect.). If you´re using a high CPU temp. it also affects your mainboard, and thereby your RAM, and chipset. The higher CPU temp. also causes higher case temp. which could give problems with graphics-cards. People who are asking may get all kinds of problems, and they should ask if they don´t know which temp. is normal for their configuration!
June 21, 2002 9:22:50 PM

Quote:
I´m not talking about making your CPU run faster, but about performance (you know like less BSOD´s, re-boots ect.).

You said performance, that is stability, you claimed cooler computers perform better, this is patently false.

Furthermore, once I made the distinction that as long as you are below a certain temp you wont get lockups stability loss, you claimed I was wrong and that lowering temp further was benificial, when it is not.

There is no normal temp for a configuration, ANY temp which isnt causing lockups is perfectly acceptable, period.

June 21, 2002 9:44:04 PM

As long as you are below a certain temp...what certain temp?

If you´re having a problem with your system, there´s probably 10-12 things that might cause that problem. By asking if a certain temp. is normal for your kind of CPU you might start searching somewhere else for the fault. If you CPU runs much hotter than normal, then maybe you should start by trying to lower the temp. Asking about the CPU temp. is a completely valid question!

And no Matisaro, I don´t believe you really work in the industry, maybe as a truck-driver or somehwre else in the warehouse, cause if you really had any real knowledge you´d know about heat and voltage transfers inside the processor at higher temperatures (60-90C), and the wear and tear is creates. Any temp. that doesn´t create lockups is fine...BULLSHIT! Try that theory on any other kind of machinery, as long as its running...all is okay!
June 21, 2002 9:46:39 PM

So basically you're saying that AMD lied in their white papers about the Athlon?

June 21, 2002 9:50:27 PM

Please just show me a link to a guy running a stable 75-89C system... It won´t melt until 90 right, so I guess we´re all safe... DOOH! You might get a good system up and running at a very high CPU temp, but not for long!

I had a cool sig. ready, but my dog ate it!
June 21, 2002 10:00:32 PM

So you just agreed with Matisaro that a system will lock up before it becomes dangerous to the CPU.

June 21, 2002 10:04:15 PM

Quote:
As long as you are below a certain temp...what certain temp?

The temp at which you lock up, duuh.

Quote:
If you´re having a problem with your system, there´s probably 10-12 things that might cause that problem. By asking if a certain temp. is normal for your kind of CPU you might start searching somewhere else for the fault. If you CPU runs much hotter than normal, then maybe you should start by trying to lower the temp. Asking about the CPU temp. is a completely valid question!

Yes, if you are having a problem, my comment was towards the poeple who ask "IS MY TEMP OK, IM NOT LOCKING UP BUT ITS 60C"

If you are not locking up you are NOT damaging your system, and you are NOT in any danger.

Quote:
And no Matisaro, I don´t believe you really work in the industry, maybe as a truck-driver or somehwre else in the warehouse, cause if you really had any real knowledge you´d know about heat and voltage transfers inside the processor at higher temperatures (60-90C), and the wear and tear is creates. Any temp. that doesn´t create lockups is fine...BULLSHIT! Try that theory on any other kind of machinery, as long as its running...all is okay!

LoL, pathetic, your wrong and you resort to personal insults.

Any temp which does not cause your cpu to lock is not sufficient to damage the cpu in ANY capacity, you are wrong, and furthermore you are an idiot for insulting me and questioning my credentials.

Run along and take your misinformation with you flamer.

June 21, 2002 10:04:17 PM

don't worry about matisaro, he's unemployed and when he was employed he sure found lots of time to post bs through out working hours.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
June 21, 2002 10:05:52 PM

I have a switch on my cpu fan (homemade) to lower fan speed by about half for when i want it quiet, if i forget to raise fan speed then play a high performance game or watch divx or something temp shoots up to about 70-77 degrees centigrade, my computer has been running virtually 24/7 and i have never had a crash or any hint of instability.

June 21, 2002 10:06:31 PM

Its a damn shame Im ignoring meltdumbass, cause I could have given him a zinger right there.

Anyways, fenrir, your wrong, live with it.

June 21, 2002 10:09:38 PM

Fenriz, not Fenrir. Fenrir is one of the Espers from FF3, I believe :wink:

June 21, 2002 10:09:42 PM

"don't worry about matisaro, he's unemployed and when he was employed he sure found lots of time to post bs through out working hours."

i dont think thats any of your or my or anyones business.

June 21, 2002 10:23:57 PM

Well I applaud you for ignoring him. The more the better anyway.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
June 21, 2002 10:36:17 PM

What a prick!!!
June 21, 2002 11:33:53 PM

Quote:
What a prick!!!

yes I know!

June 21, 2002 11:38:48 PM

Quote:

yes I know!

It's times like these when I wish Tom's Hardware had rolling eyes like other forums! :wink:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
June 21, 2002 11:38:50 PM

Double Post!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 06/22/02 08:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 11:38:50 PM

Triple Post!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 06/22/02 08:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 22, 2002 3:27:52 AM

AMD_Man for christ's sakes once you press the Post button, it does it no matter what, even if you think it took 15 minutes!
Could you delete the 2 extra posts?

--
June 22, 2002 5:02:24 PM

Quote:
AMD_Man for christ's sakes once you press the Post button, it does it no matter what, even if you think it took 15 minutes!
Could you delete the 2 extra posts?

you can't fault AMd_man he has a slow a$$ amd processor, it just can't keep up like it used to.

June 22, 2002 5:14:37 PM

Quote:

you can't fault AMd_man he has a slow a$$ amd processor, it just can't keep up like it used to.

Um, ok. :eek:  Where are those freakin' rolling eyes! :tongue:

Besides, since when is 1.33GHz too slow for a web browser? :eek: 

June 22, 2002 11:24:04 PM

I was wondering, don't your THG options have the Delete Post?
Am I like the only one who can make his posts completly vamoose?!
Since yours still appear but of course edited, though I wonder why the Delete Post wasn't used!

How rude, Free Poster Delinquant! :wink:

--
June 23, 2002 12:04:41 AM

Yup! Why waste a post? :wink:

June 23, 2002 1:10:21 AM

I had an Athlon T-Bird 1.4GHz with a retail fan in a mini-tower case with two case fans, since that was all I had at the time. It ran at 55C-57C CPU case at full load, and did reach the infamous 60C a few times. It was left on 24/7 for about nine months, and was only rebooted when necessary. Never had a lock-up.

A system I built for a friend using an AXP 1800+ and a larger case with an Alpha cooler would run around 42C-44C CPU and did have freezing issues. We determined it was the GeForce 4 video card, who's size made for an awkward mess of ribbon cables that were blocking airflow through the case. A set of round cables later, and the problem was solved.

Lesson? Proper airflow is crucial. The CPU can reach what we would consider to be high temps as long as that hot air is able to be quickly moved out of the case. Ambient temperature isn't always properly monitored by a lot of temp. sensors, I find. The best AMD board I have used in that regard is the Soltek SL-75DRV5, which has an external temperature gague that can be placed wherever you like.

--Sean
June 24, 2002 6:05:05 PM

I'm debating whether to say something, but I think it would spread havoc on the forums.

June 24, 2002 6:48:17 PM

Huh?

PS: If you're talking about your old posting habit, you're off the hook so don't be shy now!

--
June 24, 2002 7:25:24 PM

What old posting habit? I post the same way now as I always have.

And I'm talking about deleting posts and postcount.

June 24, 2002 7:44:05 PM

I thought you used to post so much but now pack in one!

As for the deleting posts, what was it you were wanting to talk about?

--
!