Idea for incorporating Gestalt characters into normal camp..

Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2005 3:46:22 AM

Okay, so this is reasonably simple:

(a) it costs extra XP to take a "Gestalt" level
(b) your "ECL" is determined by how many XP you have (I think that's normal)
(c) you can only gestalt base classes and monster classes.
(d) in order to take a Gestalt combo at first level, you basically take
a 3.0e "apprentice" character. Upon spending an extra 1000 XP, you
progress to a "full" first-level Gestalt character. (details on
exactly what this "apprentice" character has in terms of skills
and class abilities need to be worked out)
(e) in order to take a Gestalt level at any other level, you need to pay
twice the XP it takes to advance to that level from the previous.

Example: My 3rd level Bard wants a fourth level that's Fighter/Bard
Gestalt. Normally he needs to have 6000 XP to become 4th
level; in this case, he needs an *additional* 6000 XP to
take the Gestalt level. If he wants his 5th level to
be Gestalt as well, it'll cost him another 10K XP extra.

The "additional" XP you spend is put in its own bucket, for ease of
leveling computations. So, for example, the example character in
the example would have 6000 XP (+6000 Gestalt XP). He'd be ECL 5
(since 12K XP would be sufficient for a 5th level character normally).

Does this seem reasonably balanced? I haven't thought it all the way
through yet, but I thought I'd post it before it slipped from my mind.

Donald
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:16:14 PM

Donald Tsang wrote:
> Okay, so this is reasonably simple:
>
> (a) it costs extra XP to take a "Gestalt" level
> (b) your "ECL" is determined by how many XP you have (I think that's normal)
> (c) you can only gestalt base classes and monster classes.
> (d) in order to take a Gestalt combo at first level, you basically take
> a 3.0e "apprentice" character. Upon spending an extra 1000 XP, you
> progress to a "full" first-level Gestalt character. (details on
> exactly what this "apprentice" character has in terms of skills
> and class abilities need to be worked out)
> (e) in order to take a Gestalt level at any other level, you need to pay
> twice the XP it takes to advance to that level from the previous.
>
> Example: My 3rd level Bard wants a fourth level that's Fighter/Bard
> Gestalt. Normally he needs to have 6000 XP to become 4th
> level; in this case, he needs an *additional* 6000 XP to
> take the Gestalt level. If he wants his 5th level to
> be Gestalt as well, it'll cost him another 10K XP extra.
>
> The "additional" XP you spend is put in its own bucket, for ease of
> leveling computations. So, for example, the example character in
> the example would have 6000 XP (+6000 Gestalt XP). He'd be ECL 5
> (since 12K XP would be sufficient for a 5th level character normally).
>
> Does this seem reasonably balanced? I haven't thought it all the way
> through yet, but I thought I'd post it before it slipped from my mind.

Hmm... I would have to say no, I don't think it's balanced.

Consider the example of the level 10 Wizard who took his first level as
a Wizard/Fighter Gestalt. By level 10, the 1000 XP deficit means very
little (10% of a level). For that 1000 XP, our player got an extra 6
HP, proficiency with all weapons and armors, +1 BAB, +2 Fort Save, and
a bonus feat.

If this player wanted to play an Eldritch Knight, he could pick the PrC
up with no loss of caster level (well, except for the first level of
EK), since his Gestalt shenanigans at level 1 managed to sidestep a
very important balancing factor.

Basically, the weird thing about this system is that a PC gets a
Gestalt level cheaper if he picks it up early, for no good reason.

I thought about it a bit, and I can't really think of a good and simple
method of balancing Gestalt classes that would allow a PC to take
Gestalt or normal levels interchangeably. I think simply giving Gestalt
characters a 50% XP penalty (or making every level cost twice as much)
works fine, but only if they have to decide at character creation
whether they're making a "full Gestalt" character (with every level
being a Gestalt combo), or a normal one. Mixing and matching... I don't
think it'll work.

Laszlo
!