Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2002 1:56:20 PM

I just built a new system.

Athlon XP 2000
Giga-byte GA7-VRX
MSI GF4 Ti4400
256MB DDR2700 RAM
300watt PS

I had the computer up and running a couple of times but it locked up on me and I haven’t been able to get it to boot up again. When I turn it on, everything powers up but nothing happens. Fans are running, hard drives and CDROM’s all power up, but the monitor never wakes up and the computer never boots. My first thought was that the processor overheated and burned up. I inspected it and not a thing wrong. The two possibilites I can think of are bad mobo or bad processor(I tested the video card in my old system, works fine). I don’t have another system I can test the processor in so I was wondering if anyone can confirm that it sounds like a bad processor. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : bad processor

June 21, 2002 2:30:38 PM

Do you get any alarm signal beeps from the mainboard??? If you can describe the beeps, I bet we could point out the problem!

I had a cool sig. ready, but my dog ate it!
June 21, 2002 2:43:40 PM

[begin dramatic hospital scene]
Beep ... beep ... beep ... beep ... beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep ... ... ...

My God! He's dead!
[end dramatic hospital scene]

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
Related resources
June 21, 2002 2:50:24 PM

No beeps from the PC speaker. I do however get two "beeps" from my regular speakers. They are not really beeps though, just a very faint noise that you can barely make out(speakers are turned up quite a bit). It sounds like almost like the crappy sound effects that an old apple made when playing games. Right now I'm using the onboard sound(or not using it as is the case right now).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by malikimkr on 06/21/02 10:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 4:50:38 PM

either the cpu, ram or motherboard. the sound from the onboard sound is suspicious, my bet is motherboard.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 21, 2002 5:11:06 PM

I'm kind of thinking that too. I've been reading posts at the amdmb forum for gigabyte boards and lots of people are having problems. Looks like it's time to send the thing back and try a new one.

Thanks for the help!
June 23, 2002 1:29:16 AM

I just got an RAM for my GA-7VRX and I'm sending it back to the vendor I got it from first thing on Monday. I'll be glad to get rid of that piece of crap. At best even if I had gotten it to work, it wouldn't have run stably unless I raised the CPU core up +7.5% and that's at stock speeds.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!
!