Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pagefile.sys and hyberfil.sys

Last response: in Windows 7
March 4, 2013 9:09:01 PM

So I have an SSD and these two files take up a lot of space. From what I understand, setting hibernation to never in the power options should delete the hyberfil.sys, correct? Can I move pagefile.sys to a HDD drive D: I have or should I keep that on the SSD? Does pagefile.sys benefit by being on the SSD? Thanks in advance! :) 

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2013 9:21:47 PM

1. Win 7 is supposed to turn off Hibernation files automatically once an SSD is detected. So yes turn off Hibernation and it will delete the files on its own.

2. Yes you can move the page file system to a different drive. I did this to keep the ware down on my drive.

3. The benefit of leaving it on the drive is access speeds although I have never noticed a difference since switching it to a different drive.

P.S. After switching page files from one drive to another you will get an error in Event Viewer to due with page files. From what I have read, this is normal if the page flies are not on the OS drive. Just be aware that it poses no risk just annoying when looking through the Event Viewer.
March 4, 2013 10:17:48 PM

bgunner said:
1. Win 7 is supposed to turn off Hibernation files automatically once an SSD is detected. So yes turn off Hibernation and it will delete the files on its own.

2. Yes you can move the page file system to a different drive. I did this to keep the ware down on my drive.

3. The benefit of leaving it on the drive is access speeds although I have never noticed a difference since switching it to a different drive.

P.S. After switching page files from one drive to another you will get an error in Event Viewer to due with page files. From what I have read, this is normal if the page flies are not on the OS drive. Just be aware that it poses no risk just annoying when looking through the Event Viewer.

Thanks for the reply! I freed up 30 GB on my SSD!
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2013 10:17:54 PM

Best answer selected by greathelp.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2013 10:31:27 PM

your welcome, that's why we are here :) 
m
l