PC random crash (hardware problem)

Johndays

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hi

I have a Pc with windows 7 installed. I am getting random crashes and I know it is not software because I installed windows 3 times (tried with 64 and 32 bits versions of windows) and Im getting the same problem. I downloaded all the drivers for the motherboard on every install and also updated the Bios.

The problem is that Im getting a crash and the pc just stops working, I cant move the mouse, type or anything and the screen stays the same as the second just before it crashed and if it was playing some sound (watching a video or listening music) it crashes too making a noise that loops until I restart the pc or shut it down (both using the buttons of the case). I runned memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic and didnt got any negative result. I havent overclocked anything.

My specs are:

Board: gygabite GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU: Intel core i5 2400
ram: 4 gb ram supertalent (2 x 2gb sticks) ddr3 1066 mhz
video card: amd radeon HD 6870 saphire 1gb
hard disk: Seagate 7200 rpm sata 6gb/s
PSU: AK Power 700w (its a little old, got like 3 - 4years with me now)

all components where bought a year ago except the ram and PSU.

Please help me, I dont know what to do next to solve this problem.

Regards

my first suspect would be the power supply.
Download OCCT and run the power supply test. Better yet do you have a spare or a friend that will loan you a known good power supply? if yours fails during the test and does not have adequate protection it could damage other parts.
tiered power supply list. if yours is in the lower tiers I suggest replacing as soon as possible.
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

A power supply with too much ripple on the 12v rail will cause your described problem.
Next would be to run the Seagate sea tools software on your hard drive .A failing hard drive can also cause the same problem.

Johndays

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Did that solve your problem?

Johndays

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I did the hard drive diagnostic and didnt get any error. So it must be the power supply, the strange thing is that it is not because it is handling too much power, even idle it can freeze, when im gaming it can freeze too. I have played battlefield 3 for an hour without freezing.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Update: I replaced the PSU too, did a RAM test, HDD test. Everything was fine, turns out running my GPU on the lower PSU damaged it or something. The problem increased. Then after in installed the latest beta drivers (320.00) the problem just kinda went away on its own or something. REALLY freaky cause i couldn't play for 15 mins straight now i haven't had a crash in a month Mashallah