Star Wars Episode II -- Built on Athlon MP Server

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=135305" target="_new">Star Wars: Episode II -- Built on Athlon MP Servers</A>

wish if there was UnDo in the life

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i will have to say HO-HUM on this one...
just like the post where they used P4 server farm on episode1.

as time goes by both intel and amd will encroach onto the traditional hunting ground of the alpha's, sparks, sgi's etc.
so the special effect buizz will see a range of processors in use.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I guess they weren't quite happey with the Pentium 4 they used the first time around ;)

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
This tidbit probably caused AmdMeltdown's heart to break in mid-wank. :wink:

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 06/22/02 10:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Star Wars: Episode II -- Built on Athlon MP Servers
yep, just what I said, AMD was relegated to "pre-visualization" a/k/a animatics a/k/a rendering stick figures. LOL!

now lets all scream, YAY! AMD was used to show ILM little boxes and stick figures! ROTFLMAO!!!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This tidbit probably caused AmdMeltdown's heart to break in mid-wank.
um, yeah! this is the funniest sh!t I've heard all year. AMD used for the cardboard cutouts.

do any of you mongrels know what "pre-visualization" is?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess they weren't quite happey with the Pentium 4 they used the first time around ;)
no, they used P4 workstations and render farms for ep2.

<A HREF="http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue99&file=6011s1" target="_new">http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue99&file=6011s1</A>

don't be an uninformed dope.

btw, the fact that AMD's were used to do the "pre-visualiztation" just shows that they were not up to par in rendering the final scenes.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No offense, but you're a loser! When are you going to get a life? The final scenes take a lot of time to render but the pre-visualizations render in real-time. I wonder if a P4 can handle that! :tongue:

Seriously, I couldn't care less, and the fact that you do proves that you have no life. :tongue:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No offense, but you're a loser! When are you going to get a life? The final scenes take a lot of time to render but the pre-visualizations render in real-time. I wonder if a P4 can handle that!

Seriously, I couldn't care less, and the fact that you do proves that you have no life.
well if you have the Star Wars: Phantom Menace dvd, take a look at the pre-vis work and tell me if a pentium90 couldn't render those animatics that in real time.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Relax, no one really cares, this is not really "BIG" news or any kind of advancement.

As we can see it is just short of a joke that AMD news has become this pathetic. Let them dwell on this for awhile.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"I wonder if a P4 can handle that!"

The answer is yes, You think there is something special or magical that the MP can do that the P4 XEON cannot?

They happen to use MP's so what??? No where did they quote "none of this would have been possible if was not for the AMD MP processor"

If you will notice the "Powerfull Software" gets no credit. ILM always gives credit to the software.

"the fact that the software used is readily available"

"Costly software development or R&D is quite simply overkill. Teams are no longer required to undergo 3-6 week training sessions on proprietary software."

AMDMB readers are being spoon fed crap

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
who [-peep-] cares?
and on a side note: I don't [-peep-] care. (in case anyone was confused how I felt about which brand of processor was used anywhere. Unless you are in management of Intel or AMD or somehow see immediate benefits from your particular company doing better than you need to get a goddamned life.)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I find it ironic that the person defending amdmeltdown in this thread, and attacking the poster said NOTHING in the thread this thread is obviously making fun of/countering.

When amdmeltdown posted his p4 in attack of the clones drivel, fugger was no where to be found to tell him "it dosent matter"

hypocritical imo.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I like your signature matisaro. very true.

I think some of the people who are more "intense" about this whole AMD vs Intel thing might be trying to "compensate" for something by arguing for thier respective "superior" processors . . .

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I find it ironic that you fail to post on topic, and you make a lame attempt to flame in the process.

Unlike you I have a life and cannot read every thread, so sue me.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"I don't [-peep-] care."

Uh,thats what I said, no one really cares.

I think people care more about what brand of TP the president uses to wipe with.

eden

Champion
For all you know, these stick figure rendering were probably the most crucial aspect to BEGINNING this movie's effects.
I won't make a fool of myself to say more, as I know nothing yet in animation rendering, though this will become my field of expertise in the future.

Lemme ask you, why'd they use the MPs, if they would "crash and burn"? Did the movie do that too? :tongue:

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

eden

Champion
No one really cares, but when it's a P4 you go crazy and advertise it, no? Proof lies in the troll king Meltdown.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
wow. hey thanks everyone, i almost forgot what it was like back when i was in 2nd grade, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

one, the only way it would mean ANYTHING about which was used in aotc is if intel/amd plugged it for all its worth to the habitually retarded public. noone besides those that know or are interested will ever know or care that a p4 or xp chip were used in the making.

two, melty if your attention span would have lasted half the way through reading that, you would have seen they clearly said it wasn't just stick figures. full anim, textures, lights, shadows and i'm sure if they went that far, at some points they would have thrown on the effects, caustics, raytracing when need be. so this does take a decent amount of power. hardly anything a p90 could even attempt.

three, companies like ilm, d2, spi, etc, etc, don't give a damn about what's inside the box. as long as they know it'll work and get the job done, which either cpu is more than capable of doing.

four, wow a press release about intel/amd chips being used to make a movie, rofl!! get a life. pentiums and amds can't even compare with the number of mac and sgi machines that are in that industry and won't for years to come. if sgi or apple did a press release everytime one of their products were used in a movie they'd have a couple a week.

[insert philosophical statement here]

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Rendering is rendering, you get the same rendered item from a Pentium 120, as from the latest and greatest anything, the difference is time.
And I'm just curious what Matisaro thinks about a 1.6a at 2.4 GHz as far as money in pocket is concerned :smile:

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
true, i know quite a few people that are running maya on p75, 64mb ram, 1.1gb hdd and 1mb video ram. actually rendering is rendering, but if you're running any up-to-date sw i don't think you're going to be running a p120 or something. not to mention the rest of the system that that chip has to go into. unless you had a cluster of maybe 75-100 of em and send a render off.

[insert philosophical statement here]

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if amd new is sad then intels news is sad also.

it really had been a slow news month.
fair amount of new stuff allround... but nothing to go WOW over.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And I'm just curious what Matisaro thinks about a 1.6a at 2.4 GHz as far as money in pocket is concerned

If I were to buy a new cpu today it would be a 1.8p4@2.6.

I however have no money.

AMD biased my ass.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: