GPU for CorelDRAW??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadafak

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello guys, my mom is looking for a laptop pc, witch is going to be used for CorelDRAW... But i don't know if an integrated GPU on one of the newest sandy bridge mobile CPU-s is enough for doing stuff like adding a bunch of photos into CorelDraw and adding text and stuff like that... She is complaining that her old laptop is crashing lots of times, when she adds alot of photos into CorelDraw, so i don't know what couses that.

And what type of CPU should she buy? i3, i5 or i7?

Thank you all for your help!

if you're set on a sandy bridge, I think an i3 will be plenty for her.

as far as corel draw in relation to intel GMA, hard to say, going by system requirements for the product, there's really nothing in regards to GPU. So, I'm inclined to think that her old computer was running out of RAM rather than GPU power.

adding text to a photo is not a GPU intensive task, so personally I think intel GMA could be fine.

alternatively you could get AMD's new llano APU, which has excellent integrated GPU straight on the processor die. It has shown great performance thus far and is pretty good on battery power too.

so far we've seen them in 14"-17" models of laptops and you could get one in $500-750 range. (USD)

Hello wadafak;

That Sandy Bridge Intel HD 3000 Graphics IGP is roughly equal to a dedicated entry level graphics card like a Geforce 310M or Mobility Radeon HD 5450. And it should handle any CorelDraw work easily.

What is that current laptop's make/model?

I agree with AntiZig that one of the SNB i3 2310M CPU laptops would probably be enough. A higher resolution LCD screen (1600x900 for example) would probably be a nice upgrade too - more working space for the photo editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.