Dannyd

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
G'day. I was hoping for some help on monitor selection if possible. Straight to the point, I was asked to do some research for a great 19" LCD for my dad. My brothers at home would be using it aswell so they wanted a 'best of both worlds' type monitor. I came up with the Samsung 971P which I've read some excellent reviews on and looked like the proper thing.

Anyway they've (dad and brother) come back to me and said they went to look for the 971P and were recommended a brand new Samsung monitor the 931C. They have been convinced by whoever they spoke to that the 931C is Samsungs latest, definitely a superior monitor and the better buy. I've done some research and it does seem, that the 931C boasts better specs:

931C vs 971P:
2ms vs 6ms
2000:1 Contrast vs 1500:1

However I've tried to find some reviews on the 931C but they are limited because it is very new but have found that the 931C is quite a bit cheaper ($270US vs $340US) which is baffling considering the monitor is supposed to be later/better and also I found complaints of an orange skin tone inherent while playing movies on the 931C.

Obviously, I am no expert so if anyone has any advice on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers in advance!

secunda

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
G'day. I was hoping for some help on monitor selection if possible. Straight to the point, I was asked to do some research for a great 19" LCD for my dad. My brothers at home would be using it aswell so they wanted a 'best of both worlds' type monitor. I came up with the Samsung 971P which I've read some excellent reviews on and looked like the proper thing.

Anyway they've (dad and brother) come back to me and said they went to look for the 971P and were recommended a brand new Samsung monitor the 931C. They have been convinced by whoever they spoke to that the 931C is Samsungs latest, definitely a superior monitor and the better buy. I've done some research and it does seem, that the 931C boasts better specs:

931C vs 971P:
2ms vs 6ms

However I've tried to find some reviews on the 931C but they are limited because it is very new but have found that the 931C is quite a bit cheaper ($270US vs $340US) which is baffling considering the monitor is supposed to be later/better and also I found complaints of an orange skin tone inherent while playing movies on the 931C.

Obviously, I am no expert so if anyone has any advice on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers in advance!

The 931C is a "gamer" monitor with a TN panel. That's why it's cheaper. (Gamer monitors sacrifice color depth, contrast and viewing angle... all for the sake of speed.)

The 971P has an SPVA panel, that's why is more expensive.

Though a bit slower, the 971P should be a better all-around choice.

Dannyd

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

931C vs 971P:
2ms vs 6ms

Cheers in advance!

The 931C is a "gamer" monitor with a TN panel. That's why it's cheaper. (Gamer monitors sacrifice color depth, contrast and viewing angle... all for the sake of speed.)

The 971P has an SPVA panel, that's why is more expensive.

Though a bit slower, the 971P should be a better all-around choice.

Thanks alot hose, I think that is precisely what I needed to hear! :D

Cheers for the effort too secunda but I actually included those reviews as links in my original post :p

secunda

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
dang-it.....i missed those links....knocks self in head...bang-bang :lol:

Anyway ...i was on another window..looking at newegg for monitors for my new build......so i looked up those model numbers...didnt realized they where from same site....my-bad