[3.5] Help for blinded PC

Hi,

one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bye.

--
Giuseppe A.
Milano - Italy

Giuseppe A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Can't help you with that, but you should take a look at the Blind
Master prestige class in Quintessential Monk (Mongoose Publishing), if
you can. It's a Monk PrC with blindness as a requirement.

If you want "blind from birth" to be at all viable, I suggest a +20
competence bonus to Listen rolls. This will allow the character to
fairly reliably pinpoint by listening. It's not really realistic, but
hey, it's heroic fantasy, and blind heroes are invariably powerful. :)

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Giuseppe A. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
> > for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
> > rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Can't help you with that, but you should take a look at the Blind
> Master prestige class in Quintessential Monk (Mongoose Publishing), if
> you can. It's a Monk PrC with blindness as a requirement.
>
> If you want "blind from birth" to be at all viable, I suggest a +20
> competence bonus to Listen rolls. This will allow the character to
> fairly reliably pinpoint by listening. It's not really realistic, but
> hey, it's heroic fantasy, and blind heroes are invariably powerful. :)

coughZatoichicough

Brandon

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Giuseppe A. wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
>>for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
>>rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> Can't help you with that, but you should take a look at the Blind
> Master prestige class in Quintessential Monk (Mongoose Publishing), if
> you can. It's a Monk PrC with blindness as a requirement.
>
> If you want "blind from birth" to be at all viable, I suggest a +20
> competence bonus to Listen rolls. This will allow the character to
> fairly reliably pinpoint by listening. It's not really realistic, but
> hey, it's heroic fantasy, and blind heroes are invariably powerful. :)

Make up a PrC for him, probably monk. Blindsense, and later Blindsight,
would be appropriate.

A blind character with 60' Blindsight would be interesting to play.
He'd be at an advantage sometimes and at a disadvantage others.

I had an idea for a mutant human with claws, blindness, and blindsight
who was a cleric of Pelor. Used a quarterstaff.

- Ron ^*^

- Ron ^*^

David Johnston wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2005 11:09:03 -0700, "copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> >> Can't help you with that, but you should take a look at the Blind
> >> Master prestige class in Quintessential Monk (Mongoose Publishing), if
> >> you can. It's a Monk PrC with blindness as a requirement.
> >>
> >> If you want "blind from birth" to be at all viable, I suggest a +20
> >> competence bonus to Listen rolls. This will allow the character to
> >> fairly reliably pinpoint by listening. It's not really realistic, but
> >> hey, it's heroic fantasy, and blind heroes are invariably powerful. :)
> >
> >coughZatoichicough
>
> Of course the whole blind character bit doesn't work so well in a game
> universe that has Cure Blindness unless you have a character who
> deliberately blinded himself to gain some kind of supernatural
> perception.

Or the blindness is a divine curse.

Brandon

David Johnston wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2005 11:09:03 -0700, "copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

>>>Can't help you with that, but you should take a look at the Blind
>>>Master prestige class in Quintessential Monk (Mongoose Publishing), if
>>>you can. It's a Monk PrC with blindness as a requirement.
>>>
>>>If you want "blind from birth" to be at all viable, I suggest a +20
>>>competence bonus to Listen rolls. This will allow the character to
>>>fairly reliably pinpoint by listening. It's not really realistic, but
>>>hey, it's heroic fantasy, and blind heroes are invariably powerful. :)
>>
>>coughZatoichicough
>

> Of course the whole blind character bit doesn't work so well in a game
> universe that has Cure Blindness unless you have a character who
> deliberately blinded himself to gain some kind of supernatural
> perception.

IIRC there is a magic blindfold that grants 60' Blindsight in some
splatbook or other.

- Ron ^*^

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:43:10 GMT, "Giuseppe A." <gambitcajun@libero.it>
scribed into the ether:

>Hi,
>
>one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
>for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
>rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
>Thanks in advance for any help.

I doubt there is any sourcebook for that situation. There are feats that
the player can use in order to get around some of the restrictions of being
blind, but would still (of course) be incredibly hampered.

"Giuseppe A." <gambitcajun@libero.it> wrote in

> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG
> I find the rules for a blinded situation, but there's in any
> book (WotC or D20) where I can find rules (or also a template)
> for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth? Thanks in
> advance for any help.

What sort of campaign is this? If this is a city campaign with lots
of social interaction, you should be fine. Otherwise, unless you go
for a race with suitable compensation then you might want to try and
dissuade the player.

OTOH the blind seer is a well-worn stereotype.

"Repent Quentin Stephens!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Quentin
Stephens replied. Then he added:

> OTOH the blind seer is a well-worn stereotype.

But not as an adventurer. Unless you're talking about the wolf of the same
name.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

> IIRC there is a magic blindfold that grants 60' Blindsight in some
> splatbook or other.

Arms & Equipment. Blindfold of true darkness

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> "Giuseppe A." <gambitcajun@libero.it> wrote in message
> > one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the
> rules
> > for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can
> find
> > rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the
> birth?
>
> And what rules do you think there should be? Take feats that make sense
> for a blind person and get on with your life.
> Oh, wait - I get it - you think that being blind should make the
> character MORE POWERFUL?

Blind fight is good. Skill focus listen very handy (you can localize
an opponent with a good enough listen check, once localized your
attacks
are much more effective with Blind Fight).

Consider seriously taking enough class levels to get uncanny dodge so
you retain your dex bonus even when unaware of your attacker.

Oh, yeh, and find a Cleric or Paladin able to cast level 3 spells
and get the condition cured. No components so it costs only 150GP
from a commercial cleric, and it works unless the eyes have been
physically destroyed in which case you need regenerate (level 7
so you need a large town or any city to find a level 13 cleric).

There is no good reason within the rules for any D&D character to
stay blind.

DougL

Giuseppe A. wrote:
> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

This is really one of those cases where D&D is just the
wrong system to use.

Or the wrong system for this player. He wants something
which D&D cannot really deliver.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Mere moments before death, Peter Knutsen (usenet) hastily scrawled:

>Giuseppe A. wrote:
>> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
>> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
>> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>This is really one of those cases where D&D is just the
>wrong system to use.

Silly wabbit, D&D does this just fine.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:41:09 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:

>Giuseppe A. wrote:
>> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the rules
>> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can find
>> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the birth?
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>This is really one of those cases where D&D is just the
>wrong system to use.
>
>Or the wrong system for this player. He wants something
>which D&D cannot really deliver.

Just being curious, but what system would be better? Blindness is extremely
debiliating in any game, just like it is in reality. My best objection to
D&D and blindness is that the penalties aren't harsh enough.

"Giuseppe A." <gambitcajun@libero.it> wrote in message
> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the
rules
> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can
find
> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the
birth?

And what rules do you think there should be? Take feats that make sense
for a blind person and get on with your life.
Oh, wait - I get it - you think that being blind should make the
character MORE POWERFUL?

-Michael

KAOS

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:29:10 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
<mistermichael@earthlink.net> dared speak in front of ME:

>"Giuseppe A." <gambitcajun@libero.it> wrote in message
>> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the
>rules
>> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can
>find
>> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the
>birth?
>
> And what rules do you think there should be? Take feats that make sense
>for a blind person and get on with your life.
> Oh, wait - I get it - you think that being blind should make the
>character MORE POWERFUL?

Perhaps he just wants to take advantage of the fairly large fantasy
trope of the Blind Master - not necessarily more powerful, but with
enough extraordinary or supernatural mojo to keep up with the sighted
players.

More common in wuxia type fantasy, though.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:43:54 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
> <peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:
> >GURPS. Among other reasons because it actually compensates
> >the player for chosing to give his character such a severe
> >handicap.
>
> Ok, but really, there's no offsetting benefit for being blind beyond "my
> other senses got sharper"...which isn't much. If we are looking for
> blindness to be modeled, being able to spend character points elsewhere in
> compensation isn't terribly realistic.

GURPS does *not* say: "Because the character is blind, it's perfectly
realistic for them to have these other nifty abilities as
compensation."

What GURPS says is: "This character is blind. That's a seriously
debilitating disadvantage. If this character is to be equal to the
other PCs in terms of power and effectiveness, then this characer must
have more nifty abilities than the other PCs."

The trade-off in points is a matter of meta-game design. It doesn't
model any sort of trade-off or compensation in the game world.
(Although it could. If you were designing Daredevil, for example.)

--
Justin Bacon
triad3204@aol.com

Kaos wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:29:10 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
> <mistermichael@earthlink.net> dared speak in front of ME:
>
> >"Giuseppe A." <gambitcajun@libero.it> wrote in message
> >> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the
> >rules
> >> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can
> >find
> >> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the
> >birth?
> >
> > And what rules do you think there should be? Take feats that make sense
> >for a blind person and get on with your life.
> > Oh, wait - I get it - you think that being blind should make the
> >character MORE POWERFUL?
>
> Perhaps he just wants to take advantage of the fairly large fantasy
> trope of the Blind Master - not necessarily more powerful, but with
> enough extraordinary or supernatural mojo to keep up with the sighted
> players.

For example, the blind swordman Zatoichi is really only inconvenienced
by not being able to read -- but even then, as an experienced gambler,
he seems to not have a problem knowing what the dice roll up as. His
blindness is really more of a plot device than an actual disadvantage,
which may be the best way to play it for a PC.

Brandon

Matt Frisch wrote:
> <peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:
>>This is really one of those cases where D&D is just the
>>wrong system to use.
>>
>>Or the wrong system for this player. He wants something
>>which D&D cannot really deliver.
>
> Just being curious, but what system would be better? Blindness is extremely
> debiliating in any game, just like it is in reality. My best objection to
> D&D and blindness is that the penalties aren't harsh enough.

GURPS. Among other reasons because it actually compensates
the player for chosing to give his character such a severe
handicap.

Hero System would be the second best option, among published
systems.

My own Sagatafl is superior to Hero System and more or less
on par with GURPS, when it comes to support for blind
characters, but it isn't published yet.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:43:54 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> <peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:
>>>This is really one of those cases where D&D is just the
>>>wrong system to use.
>>>
>>>Or the wrong system for this player. He wants something
>>>which D&D cannot really deliver.
>>
>> Just being curious, but what system would be better? Blindness is extremely
>> debiliating in any game, just like it is in reality. My best objection to
>> D&D and blindness is that the penalties aren't harsh enough.
>
>GURPS. Among other reasons because it actually compensates
>the player for chosing to give his character such a severe
>handicap.

Ok, but really, there's no offsetting benefit for being blind beyond "my
other senses got sharper"...which isn't much. If we are looking for
blindness to be modeled, being able to spend character points elsewhere in
compensation isn't terribly realistic.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:50:34 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:43:54 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
><peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>> <peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:

>>> Just being curious, but what system would be better? Blindness is extremely
>>> debiliating in any game, just like it is in reality. My best objection to
>>> D&D and blindness is that the penalties aren't harsh enough.
>>
>>GURPS. Among other reasons because it actually compensates
>>the player for chosing to give his character such a severe
>>handicap.
>
>Ok, but really, there's no offsetting benefit for being blind beyond "my
>other senses got sharper"...which isn't much. If we are looking for
>blindness to be modeled, being able to spend character points elsewhere in
>compensation isn't terribly realistic.

Unless you stop and consider that a blind man who goes out and
survives in combat zones, and does effective stuff in them, must
inherently be one hell of a formidable blind guy. It's not that he's
more powerful because he's a blind guy (necessarily). It's just that
he's so amazingly impressive that, even blinded, he can still hold his
own. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be there in the first place. He'd be
dead, or sticking to teaching literature or something.

KAOS

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:50:34 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> dared speak in front of ME:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:43:54 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
><peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>> <peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:

>>> Just being curious, but what system would be better? Blindness is extremely
>>> debiliating in any game, just like it is in reality. My best objection to
>>> D&D and blindness is that the penalties aren't harsh enough.
>>
>>GURPS. Among other reasons because it actually compensates
>>the player for chosing to give his character such a severe
>>handicap.
>
>Ok, but really, there's no offsetting benefit for being blind beyond "my
>other senses got sharper"...which isn't much. If we are looking for
>blindness to be modeled, being able to spend character points elsewhere in
>compensation isn't terribly realistic.

Depends on what angle you're looking at. If you're looking at a
character talented enough to be classed a Hero, then blindness is
something which he must have made up for in other ways to meet that
status.

OTOH, if you're just modelling a random blind person... well, don't
bother balancing the points. Just give them the traits they exhibit,
and see where they end up.
--

In article <b64jc11c7iagjqd5hce5snhhurnt7te5uj@4ax.com>,
Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:41:09 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
> <peter@sagatafl.invalid> scribed into the ether:
>

> >Giuseppe A. wrote:
> >> one of my players want to role-playing a blinded PC. In the DMG I find the
> >> rules
> >> for a blinded situation, but there's in any book (WotC or D20) where I can
> >> find
> >> rules (or also a template) for figure out a blinded humanoid from the
> >> birth?
> >> Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> >This is really one of those cases where D&D is just the
> >wrong system to use.
> >
> >Or the wrong system for this player. He wants something
> >which D&D cannot really deliver.
>
> Just being curious, but what system would be better? Blindness is extremely
> debiliating in any game, just like it is in reality. My best objection to
> D&D and blindness is that the penalties aren't harsh enough.

In Feng Shui, the time someone wanted to play a blind martial arts
master we just ignored the usual penalties for being blind when it came
to that character and made up the rest as we went along. In RISIS you'd
just put four dice into the Blind Master Cliche, which would cover doing
everything Zatoichi et. al. do.

Blindness is only a hassle in relatively rules-heavy games like DnD and
GURPS where there are detailed rules for perception that matter
tactically.

--
Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.

First I want to thanks all for the suggestions, the help and also the
critics.
The blinded PC is an idea of the player and after that I have exposed my
perplexity he wanted play it same.
However, the blinded situation is a choice of the PC, that after a cruel
past he closed the "eyes" toward the world.
For this reason I decided to use as reference an entry in the Blinded
Master and give him a +1/level (the PC is 4th level) to Concentration,
Listen and Move Silently check. If the PC regain sight lose the mentioned
benefit.

Apologize for my english! ;)
--

Bye.