Dell notebooks

Last response: in Computer Brands
November 4, 2004 5:25:06 AM

1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes sense
to have a bunch of logical drives.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

More about : dell notebooks

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 9:12:25 AM

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?

From what I've read on the Dell Forum, they currently come with OS on CD
and a recovery partition. Soon no CDs will be provided. Quoting Dell
employee and moderator "Samantha":

"With the media reduction, the following changes will be made:

"Hard-copy of the Owners Manual - replaced by an electronic version
installed on the HDD accessed from a desktop ICON. Owners Manuals will
also continue to be available online at support.dell.com(Choose Segment
> Product Support > User Guide > System > Appropriate Language > Owners
Manual) or can be shipped at the customer's request.

"OS Media Kit - OS re-installation functionality replaced by PC Restore
application

"Resource CD - driver reset functionality replaced by Driver Reset
application. Drivers will also continue to be available online at
support.dell.com

"Tools CD (US only) - trial versions of e-applications can be downloaded
directly from vendor websites at no charge."

However "ChrisM" adds:

"Even if Dell stops shipping the CD's, you may call in and request the
CD's and they will be sent to you free of charge."
November 4, 2004 12:59:25 PM

1. no
2. OS on a CD
3. 1 partition. You'll have to rebuild PC yourself to make multiple partions
or use something like partion magic.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
> sense
> to have a bunch of logical drives.
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

November 4, 2004 12:59:26 PM

I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.

Tom
"gringo" <nogringospam_joda@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> 1. no
> 2. OS on a CD
> 3. 1 partition. You'll have to rebuild PC yourself to make multiple
> partions or use something like partion magic.
>

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
>> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
>> sense
>> to have a bunch of logical drives.
>> --
>> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 1:49:46 PM

"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> Howard Kaikow wrote:
> > 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>
> From what I've read on the Dell Forum, they currently come with OS on CD
> and a recovery partition. Soon no CDs will be provided. Quoting Dell
> employee and moderator "Samantha":
>
> "With the media reduction, the following changes will be made:
>
> "Hard-copy of the Owners Manual - replaced by an electronic version
> installed on the HDD accessed from a desktop ICON. Owners Manuals will
> also continue to be available online at support.dell.com(Choose Segment
> > Product Support > User Guide > System > Appropriate Language > Owners
> Manual) or can be shipped at the customer's request.
>
> "OS Media Kit - OS re-installation functionality replaced by PC Restore
> application
>
> "Resource CD - driver reset functionality replaced by Driver Reset
> application. Drivers will also continue to be available online at
> support.dell.com
>
> "Tools CD (US only) - trial versions of e-applications can be downloaded
> directly from vendor websites at no charge."
>

> However "ChrisM" adds:
>
> "Even if Dell stops shipping the CD's, you may call in and request the
> CD's and they will be sent to you free of charge."

Given how inexpensive it is to produce a CD, don't understand why they just
do not include a CD with each notebook.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 3:37:49 PM

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.

Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 3:37:50 PM

Henning wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>wrote:
>

>>I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.
>>

>Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.

It can, of course, be removed.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 3:37:51 PM

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> Henning wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> >wrote:
> >

> >>I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.
> >>

> >Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
> >

> It can, of course, be removed.

Not without voiding the warranty.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:10:20 PM

it used to be that the os came on a cd but these days the configuration tool
often lets you choose between os 'with media' or 'without media' (cd or no
cd). choose which you want.

"gringo" <nogringospam_joda@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> 1. no
> 2. OS on a CD
> 3. 1 partition. You'll have to rebuild PC yourself to make multiple
> partions or use something like partion magic.
>

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
>> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
>> sense
>> to have a bunch of logical drives.
>> --
>> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:10:21 PM

> it used to be that the os came on a cd but these days the configuration
tool
> often lets you choose between os 'with media' or 'without media' (cd or no
> cd). choose which you want.

Good, but is that a true OS CD or a mere "recovery" CD?
November 4, 2004 8:32:27 PM

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
> sense to have a bunch of logical drives.
1. Depends on the model, I've seen a hidden partition on the drive in some
of the Inspirons, its separate from the C drive.
2. Depends on the model, I've seen both
3. Mine came all as one, it doesn't make sense to partition a big drive with
a modern OS.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:28:50 PM

it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it has a
modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks to
the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is not
a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go through
the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit the
registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
original source code is required when updating anything in the future. you
may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and this
is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these are
separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of what
will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> it used to be that the os came on a cd but these days the configuration
> tool
>> often lets you choose between os 'with media' or 'without media' (cd or
>> no
>> cd). choose which you want.
>
> Good, but is that a true OS CD or a mere "recovery" CD?

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:28:51 PM

> it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
> means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
> which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it has
> modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks
> the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
> dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is
not
> a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go through
> the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
> i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit the
> registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
> original source code is required when updating anything in the future.
you
> may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and this
> is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these
are
> separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
> particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of
what
> will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.

That's what I mean by a true OS CD.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:33:31 PM

this is not a dell specific issue. dell is simply conforming to the desires
of microsoft who is doing everything they can to reduce piracy.
unfortunately it means extra inconvenience to honest folk that are
unfortunate enough to encounter a problem and need to restore their systems.

> "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
>> Howard Kaikow wrote:
>> > 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>>
>> From what I've read on the Dell Forum, they currently come with OS on CD
>> and a recovery partition. Soon no CDs will be provided. Quoting Dell
>> employee and moderator "Samantha":
>>
>> "With the media reduction, the following changes will be made:
>>
>> "Hard-copy of the Owners Manual - replaced by an electronic version
>> installed on the HDD accessed from a desktop ICON. Owners Manuals will
>> also continue to be available online at support.dell.com(Choose Segment
>> > Product Support > User Guide > System > Appropriate Language > Owners
>> Manual) or can be shipped at the customer's request.
>>
>> "OS Media Kit - OS re-installation functionality replaced by PC Restore
>> application
>>
>> "Resource CD - driver reset functionality replaced by Driver Reset
>> application. Drivers will also continue to be available online at
>> support.dell.com
>>
>> "Tools CD (US only) - trial versions of e-applications can be downloaded
>> directly from vendor websites at no charge."
>>

>> However "ChrisM" adds:
>>
>> "Even if Dell stops shipping the CD's, you may call in and request the
>> CD's and they will be sent to you free of charge."
>
> Given how inexpensive it is to produce a CD, don't understand why they
> just
> do not include a CD with each notebook.

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:33:32 PM

> this is not a dell specific issue. dell is simply conforming to the
desires
> of microsoft who is doing everything they can to reduce piracy.
> unfortunately it means extra inconvenience to honest folk that are
> unfortunate enough to encounter a problem and need to restore their
systems.

I realize it's a MSFT caused problem, but it's easier to shoot the messenger
than a gorilla.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:05:42 PM

Howard Kaikow wrote:

>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>

>>Henning wrote:

>>>Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
>>>

>>It can, of course, be removed.
>>

>Not without voiding the warranty.

Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:07:21 PM

> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>> Henning wrote:

>> >Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
>> >

>> It can, of course, be removed.
>
> Not without voiding the warranty.

Not in the US. That would be illegal under Magnuson-Moss. It's also just
wrong. If Dell provides a replacement drive, it doesn't come with the
partition.

Tom
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:44:32 AM

what is? there is no such thing manufactured by microsoft called a "true
cd." there is the full retail version, oem versions. the full retail
version costs at least double of the oem version but the oem version is only
available along with the purchase of hardware. the oem versions supplied by
dell is better than the full retail version with respect to software
activation. the full retail version is better than the oem version if you
like to own a big box with colorful pictures on it and a place for the cd to
rattle around. the oem version supplied by dell is not some sort of restore
disc that returns your pc to the original factory image with all its dated
drivers and software. that's the best i can do to explain the differences.
if this doesn't make sense then you should probably rephrase your question
to be more specific about exactly you want to know.

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
>> means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
>> which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it
>> has
>> modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks
>> the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
>> dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is
> not
>> a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go
>> through
>> the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
>> i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit
>> the
>> registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
>> original source code is required when updating anything in the future.
> you
>> may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and
>> this
>> is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these
> are
>> separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
>> particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of
> what
>> will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.
>
> That's what I mean by a true OS CD.

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:13:14 AM

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?

All the Inspirons now do; not all the Latitudes do, however.

> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?

There is talk that Dell has gone the way of HPaq and is no longer shipping
the media - just the restore partition.

> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
sense

One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:35:16 AM

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> >> It can, of course, be removed.
> >
> > Not without voiding the warranty.
> >

> Not in the US. That would be illegal under Magnuson-Moss. It's also just
> wrong. If Dell provides a replacement drive, it doesn't come with the
> partition.

I meant to say, one risks loss of support.

> Tom

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:36:10 AM

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
news:o bBid.27963$Om6.16709@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Howard Kaikow wrote:
>
> >"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> >>It can, of course, be removed.
> >>

> >Not without voiding the warranty.
> >

> Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
> install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.

I meant to refer to possible loss of support.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:39:42 AM

To me a full OS CD is a CD that has all the OS software and drivers that
would enable me to rebuild the system any way I choose, not just recover to
a fixed state.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:41:23 AM

"Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> 3. Mine came all as one, it doesn't make sense to partition a big drive
with
> a modern OS.

Yes it does, but a discussion of the merits is not the subject of my query.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:43:27 AM

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
> Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.

I won't accept having a Symantec partition.
Can it be removed by uninstalling the symantec software?
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:15:02 AM

Howard Kaikow wrote:

>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>news:o bBid.27963$Om6.16709@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>

>>Howard Kaikow wrote:
>>

>>>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>>>Not without voiding the warranty.
>>>

>>Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
>>install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.
>>

>I meant to refer to possible loss of support.

True enouth. But since I can run the diagnostics from the CD, I don't
really need the partition even for support.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:11:36 AM

>> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>> > Not without voiding the warranty.
>> >

>> Not in the US. That would be illegal under Magnuson-Moss. It's also
>> just
>> wrong. If Dell provides a replacement drive, it doesn't come with the
>> partition.
>
> I meant to say, one risks loss of support.
>>
>> Tom

Even that, they don't care. They just have you boot from the Resource disk
to access the same utilities.

Tom
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:12:05 AM

> To me a full OS CD is a CD that has all the OS software and drivers that
> would enable me to rebuild the system any way I choose, not just recover
> a fixed state.

Then Dell ships full OS CDs by your definition.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:12:51 AM

> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
>> Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.
>
> I won't accept having a Symantec partition.
> Can it be removed by uninstalling the symantec software?

No. It can be removed by deleting all partitions and reinstalling
everything.

But why? It's just an original image and is pretty darn handy.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:22:17 PM

> Howard Kaikow wrote:
>
> >"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> >news:o bBid.27963$Om6.16709@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

POST.

> >>Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
> >>install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.
> >>

> >I meant to refer to possible loss of support.
> >

> True enouth. But since I can run the diagnostics from the CD, I don't
> really need the partition even for support.

That is one advantage of having a recovery CD.
Did not know that you could actually run from the critter.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:25:44 PM

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> >> One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
> >> Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.
> >
> > I won't accept having a Symantec partition.
> > Can it be removed by uninstalling the symantec software?
> >

> No. It can be removed by deleting all partitions and reinstalling
> everything.
>
> But why? It's just an original image and is pretty darn handy.

I do not want OEM Symantec software.
I ASSuME that the partition includes stuff other than NAV.
I don't want anything else.
I run Norton Utilities from the installation CD (retail version), don't need
any crud running in the background.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 4:36:22 PM

>> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I won't accept having a Symantec partition.
>> > Can it be removed by uninstalling the symantec software?
>> >

>> No. It can be removed by deleting all partitions and reinstalling
>> everything.
>>
>> But why? It's just an original image and is pretty darn handy.
>
> I do not want OEM Symantec software.
> I ASSuME that the partition includes stuff other than NAV.
> I don't want anything else.
> I run Norton Utilities from the installation CD (retail version), don't
> need
> any crud running in the background.

I think you're misunderstanding what is in the partition. It doesn't have
anything to do with NAV. It's a 'lite' version of Ghost. It has the ENTIRE
image of your hard drive, just as it came out of the box, including the OS,
applications, etc. It is VERY handy if you need to do a reinstall.

Tom
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:52:11 PM

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message

> >> No. It can be removed by deleting all partitions and reinstalling
> >> everything.
> >>
> >> But why? It's just an original image and is pretty darn handy.
> >
> > I do not want OEM Symantec software.
> > I ASSuME that the partition includes stuff other than NAV.
> > I don't want anything else.
> > I run Norton Utilities from the installation CD (retail version), don't
> > need
> > any crud running in the background.
> >

> I think you're misunderstanding what is in the partition. It doesn't have
> anything to do with NAV. It's a 'lite' version of Ghost. It has the
ENTIRE
> image of your hard drive, just as it came out of the box, including the
OS,
> applications, etc. It is VERY handy if you need to do a reinstall.

Then it should not be called a "Symantec partition".
November 5, 2004 9:05:24 PM

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> 3. Mine came all as one, it doesn't make sense to partition a big drive
> with
>> a modern OS.
>
> Yes it does, but a discussion of the merits is not the subject of my
> query.
Actaully is doesn't, NTFS and any of the modern Linux file systems work just
as well on a large drive.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:33:10 PM

In article <_kBid.26612$Qv5.16088@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:

>"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
>
>All the Inspirons now do; not all the Latitudes do, however.
>
>> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>
>There is talk that Dell has gone the way of HPaq and is no longer shipping
>the media - just the restore partition.
>
>> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
>sense
>
>One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
>Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.

Ahhhh, there is where my missing hard drive space is! What does this
Symantec partition do? I probably won't keep the Symantec software
after the 3 month free period. Does the Symantec software require this
partition to run, or can I remove it now?

--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Software Engineering Consultant =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =

"Andrew Krieg" <krieg@shell.core.com> wrote in message
> In article <_kBid.26612$Qv5.16088@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> >> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
> >
> >All the Inspirons now do; not all the Latitudes do, however.
> >
> >> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
> >
> >There is talk that Dell has gone the way of HPaq and is no longer
shipping
> >the media - just the restore partition.
> >
> >> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
> >sense
> >
> >One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
> >Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.
>
> Ahhhh, there is where my missing hard drive space is! What does this
> Symantec partition do? I probably won't keep the Symantec software
> after the 3 month free period. Does the Symantec software require this
> partition to run, or can I remove it now?

Elsewhere in this thread, I sufferred the same confusion. Somwbody stated
that it is really a "recovery partition" that has an image to restore the
hard drive as out of the box.

That facilitates tech support screwing the naive user by telling them to go
back to ground zero, instead of actually trying to figure out the problem.
Such a drastic action should be a last resort, alas, from stories I hear,
that request is all too common.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:38:28 PM

Andrew Krieg wrote:

> In article <_kBid.26612$Qv5.16088@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>>> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
>>
>>All the Inspirons now do; not all the Latitudes do, however.
>>
>>> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>>
>>There is talk that Dell has gone the way of HPaq and is no longer shipping
>>the media - just the restore partition.
>>
>>> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
>>sense
>>
>>One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
>>Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.
>
> Ahhhh, there is where my missing hard drive space is! What does this
> Symantec partition do? I probably won't keep the Symantec software
> after the 3 month free period. Does the Symantec software require this
> partition to run, or can I remove it now?

Man, I should have kept reading other threads. Well, I ended up providing
you with information in your own thread.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:02:52 AM

>> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> now

>> > I do not want OEM Symantec software.
>> > I ASSuME that the partition includes stuff other than NAV.
>> > I don't want anything else.
>> > I run Norton Utilities from the installation CD (retail version), don't
>> > need
>> > any crud running in the background.
>> >

>> I think you're misunderstanding what is in the partition. It doesn't have
>> anything to do with NAV. It's a 'lite' version of Ghost. It has the
> ENTIRE
>> image of your hard drive, just as it came out of the box, including the
> OS,
>> applications, etc. It is VERY handy if you need to do a reinstall.
>
> Then it should not be called a "Symantec partition".

Well, it's not by me. I'm not sure why the original user chose that term.
It's not descriptive.
November 6, 2004 2:16:59 AM

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> [...]

<snip>

>>I think you're misunderstanding what is in the partition. It doesn't have
>>anything to do with NAV. It's a 'lite' version of Ghost. It has the
>
> ENTIRE
>
>>image of your hard drive, just as it came out of the box, including the
>
> OS,
>
>>applications, etc. It is VERY handy if you need to do a reinstall.
>
> Then it should not be called a "Symantec partition".

Huh? Would "grilled cheese" partition be better? Ghost is a Symantec
product.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 2:17:04 AM

If 95% of users weren't computer/software challenged, it wouldn't be
required. The vast majority of problems are created by the user and tech
support often can't figure out how the user screwed it up. Since software
support is largely fee based now, it is to the advantage of the user to have
that option (software restore image).

> Elsewhere in this thread, I sufferred the same confusion. Somwbody stated
> that it is really a "recovery partition" that has an image to restore the
> hard drive as out of the box.
>
> That facilitates tech support screwing the naive user by telling them to
> go
> back to ground zero, instead of actually trying to figure out the problem.
> Such a drastic action should be a last resort, alas, from stories I hear,
> that request is all too common.

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:41:04 AM

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Huh? Would "grilled cheese" partition be better?

No, grilled cheese is too fattening.
!