Computer monitor keeps flashing

Nut

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
My monitor flashes from time to time. The screen doesn't go black or anything, i can still see the screen. Also when i play the game chuzzle, my monitor keeps flashing and pauses and un pauses the game every 3seconds? :pfff:

My internet also keeps saying not responding, i looked at forums and purchased the Perfect Optimizer as that seemed to be the general response, but the problem is still there?

please can any one help me. I'm not very computer literate :(

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Oh, I didn't realise it was a laptop. That changes everything.

have a NVIDIA GeForce 7400. will ask my brother if he can remove it.

Well now don't do that. Taking apart a laptop definitely voids warranty & more often then not, results in a botched up job which leaves a dead system. The best thing would be to take the laptop to the appropriate service centre or from wherever you've purchased, & getting it repaired under warranty.

He won't be able to. The GPU is physically soldered on to the laptop's motherboard. If by chance the laptop is still under warranty, contact HP for servicing. From your description, it seems like either the GPU is overheating (grab a can of compressed air and remove any dust buildup from the laptop), or there is a problem with the GPU itself which may require a replacement system.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

It sounds as though you may be experiencing a hardware issue -- the DV6000 series with the nVidia graphics chips were notorious for GPU failures.

The problem with your notebook is that you cannot replace the GPU as it is soldered to the board. Can you run a hardware test (3D Mark or Furmark) to test this theory?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Follow the given instructions:
1. CLICK START
2. CLICK CONTROL PANEL
3. CLICK APPEARENCE AND THEMES
4. CLICK DISPLAY
5. CLICK SETTINGS
6. CLICK ADVANCED
7. CLICK MONITOR
You will now see a number which will read something like 70 Hertz, this is your monitor refresh rate.
Click on the arrow pointing down which is located at the far right hand side of the number.
This will reveal more numbers.
Click on a slightly higher number and then click on apply near the bottom of the screen.
Dont worry the screen will flash for a second and then you will be prompted by a message asking if you want to keep this new setting.
Click yes and then click on ok at the bottom of the screen.