Clean install doesnt ask for disk id

I received a dimension 4600 this week and like someone here almost
immediately
did a clean install using just 2 CDs
1. Windows XP
2. DELL resources

This is first time MS has not asked for the product code about 5 minutes
into a clean install
in my 10 years of doing such installs on my computer.
Can anyone explain why it didnt ask?

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:36:06 GMT, David Frank wrote:

> Can anyone explain why it didnt ask?

The XP disk that Dell provides is hooked into the Dell bios. You won't be
able to use it on another machine but it won't ask to activate on yours.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

If the XP CD (labelled Restore CD) with the Dell 4600 is anything like the one
with the Dimension 2400, you WILL be able to use it to install on another brand
of computer, but you will also need to provide a valid and unique Microsoft XP
Certificate of Authentication code to complete the install... Ben Myers