Don't Waste your money

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
I recently purchased a P4 2.26B w/ an Asus P4TC 533. If you want to O/C and get good results this is not for you. IF you want the most for your money this is also not for you. On that mobo the highest you can get the fsb is to 150 and since the multiplier is locked you max out at 2.55GHz. I really expected around 20% to 25%. Adjusting the core voltage is a bad idea because if you run any serious applications your cpu temp can easily approach 57C within 5 minutes of using the app. Well that is with stock cooling. If you are on a budget stay away, stop at the P4 1.8A. After that the price/performance curve dips. I purchased this mobo planning for the futue w/1066 RDRAM and 533MHz FSB. It makes sense, since I only want to upgrade the processor and RAM in the future. It doesn't make sense for the present.

HULK SMASH!!!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
oh yea, the cpu and motherboard are the only things that affect overclocking, and you should be guaranteed a huge over clock. that stock fan cant handle a voltage increase? what a rip off!!! i cant believe you were sold something that cant deliver more than promised!

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
This post is for those who are wondering whether or no to jump at the 2.26b for the faster FSB. I am telling them that that particular CPU isn't worth it if you aren't doing some heavy duty stuff at home. I have seen a lot of posts lately w/people inquiring about this processor. People usually tell them to switch over to the 1.8A or go Athlon XP. Maybe I should have stated earlier but I didn't think anyone would actually respond to this post since I meant it as more of a factoid then anything else.

Your response irks me. This post was meant to lower expectaions that resulted from the spectacular perfomance of the 1.6A and 1.8A. Based on what I had seen I expected 20-25% performance increase. I didn't get it. This is just like people being dissapointed with OCing capabilities of the T'bred. I have looked every for the OCing performance of this particular CPU and couldn't find it so I put up realistic expectations. Any more complaints?

HULK SMASH!!!

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
You didn't do your homework. I admit that Asus normally doesn't impose such limitations on their boards which is why you probably didn't bother reading some reviews before buying.

Regarding your cooling problem: Get rid of the stock cooler and buy one of the currently best P4 air-coolers around or why not go for a water-cooling setup right away. It's not THAT expensive after all, compared to the other components in your system. My next P4 system is likely going to consist of a newly fab'ed 2.0A and some water-cooling. By chosing the 2.0A I'm sure that FSB won't be holding me back, and the water-cooling gear will allow me (if I get hold on a good P4 sample) to push the chip above 3.0GHz.

166 MHz FSB would give 3.33GHz :tongue:

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Welp, a little research pays off. P4T533 is a great board and is well worth the money. but it is limited on the FSB for amature overclockers to deal with.

First off rasing the Vcore is needed for high overclocks, you need to take the thermal tape off the bottom of your retail HSF and use AS2 or AS3. Second you need to have good case circulation. Complaining about temps tells us you are doing something wrong.

Did you buy PC1066 or PC800 expecting to upgrade in the future?

Overclocking via the jumpers is bad, you cannot adjust the vcore on that mobo if you use the jumpers to set the FSB.

That mobo is still a great performing mobo with high stability.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
I picked a mobo that positions me for future upgrades as faras faster RAM and CPUs go. I figured I could do more in the BIOS. I was hoping to be able to push the FSB from 133 to 166 to see if the P4 2.26B could handle it which I know it can. No one has reviewed this processor and I want to know what it can really do.

I picked up the PC800 Samsung and it runs great at 1066. Which I thought it wouldn't.

I used Antec's thermal compound and the stock fan. When I get some spare cash I will pump my CPU cooling and see what I can do by manipulating the core voltage.

HULK SMASH!!!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, that explains a few things.

The PC800 maxes out around 150FSB x4, make sure you have PC800-40 or PC800A.

You CPU will max out around 3.0~3.1Ghz, with water you can reach 3.2Ghz.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
more 'headroom' in using a northwoodA @ 100fsb and pushing it to 133 fsb or beyond.
cheaper too than the B model.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>