P4 1.6 OC debate

HoStYlEz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
me and a friend are having a debate about the p4 1.6 overclocking. Is it true that the P4 has the muliplyer locked and cannot be raised?

Whoever said breakfast is the most important meal of the day obviously hasn't had a good nooner.

HoStYlEz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
stay out of this jes12345

Whoever said breakfast is the most important meal of the day obviously hasn't had a good nooner.

Pwent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
The P4 can only be overclocked by raising the FSB. The multiplier is locked. Period, end of story.

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black>

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
LOL

Stay out of it. Whatever, you keep on taking your petty Windows classes and let the HW debates get handled by the people in this community that know what they are talking about (not saying that im one, but I know more than HoStYlEz!!) lol :)

eden

Champion
Well for one, I wouldn't call it a debate about the 1.6A, and you can look anywhere on CPU history and you can find living proof that since the P2 Deschuttes, multipliers for Intel CPUs have been locked unless samples. There has been absolutly NO WAY or living proof that you CAN unlock them. It surprises me however that there wasn't so far one person who has...

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

HoStYlEz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
well the things ive picked up in those "pretty little windows courses" u will be using soon. And an MCSE is NOT for everybody. ill talk to ya next year and we'll see whos salary is better

FatBurger

Illustrious
HoStYlEz says:</i>
Is it true that the P4 has the muliplyer locked and cannot be raised?

Yes, it is true. It is locked and cannot be raised, lowered or unlocked.

<i>Eden says:</i>
since the P2 Deschuttes

<A HREF="http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=deschutes&r=67" target="_new">Ouch</A>, you butchered the spelling :tongue:

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No P4 can be unlocked, and that really doesn't matter for most people Why? Because the 1.6A goes to 2.13GHz using the standard "533" bus setting which is now available on virtually every board. It usually hits 2400MHz quite easily with a "600" bus, which is really only a mild overclock for the board.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
It matters because:
1) You might just wanna take advantage of increased FSB without changing the clock speed.
2) It allows to go further in OCing and not be halted by the high FSB. According to FB's OC, he couldn't get it much further unless the multipliers were unlocked.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's why a smart man would choose a CPU with the proper multiplier to begin with!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS