MS Phone Activation Question

boweasel

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I have a 2 year old emachines tower running Windows 7 Home Premium. The OS recently became corrupt and, not having an emachines disk, I used a Dell W7 CD to perform a repair install.

I was astonished when the repair asked me for the product key. In the past I've done repair installs on WinXP and have never been asked for the key.

The sticker was on the bottom of the tower and, although it was in a recessed area, something had scratched the last 2 characters in the 3 group. I entered what I thought was the key, was informed it was incorrect, but it let me continue the repair.

Now, 14 days later, I'm constantly prompted to validate the installation. I've tried dozens of times, but it never takes.

How do I get that screen where I'm able to activate over the phone? And do you think that method will work in this instance? Or does anyone have another idea?

I've used a magnifying glass and a flashlight without success. I would certainly resent having to spend the $150.00, more or less for a new retail disk and key.