Sign in with
Your question

AMD or Intel for Large PSD's

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2002 11:21:48 PM

I'm trying to figure out which type of system to build if I'm working on very large files (50+ MB) in Photoshop. I've read the AMD uses some RISC capability in their processors, which leads me to believe that an Athlon would be superior to and P4 in that regard (like a MAC would, but I can't handle owning a MAC). With an old P3 500mhz, I'm experiencing serious lag, so I need something now, and there is some budgeting in mind, so I can't go and get the baddest, newest pc out there, but something upgrade-able.

thanks!
b

More about : amd intel large psd

June 24, 2002 11:38:15 PM

For Photoshop, the G4 would be the best choice, with AMD and P4 tied, depending on the details. If you are willing to overclock, you could get a P4 that would narrowly beat the Athlon. Without overclocking, the Athlon would by far be better.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 24, 2002 11:42:29 PM

thanks. A g4 is NOT in the cards. I Like the new OS, but I'm old IT, PC, so...

Does the video card make any difference?
Related resources
June 24, 2002 11:42:30 PM

thanks. A g4 is NOT in the cards. I Like the new OS, but I'm old IT, PC, so...

Does the video card make any difference?
June 24, 2002 11:44:24 PM

Depends on what you're doing, I can almost certainly say it won't make any difference.

June 24, 2002 11:49:40 PM

If you're going to do some REALLY stressful stuff with the CPU, or apply some really heavy filters, then in that case the P4 would be better. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

------------------------------------------------
Montecito & Chivano; Intel's Big Guns.
June 24, 2002 11:56:34 PM

Why would the P4 be better? The Athlon is better in FPU-intensive work (like Photoshop).

June 25, 2002 12:06:16 AM

true... but does photoshop have SSE2? i dont know.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>
June 25, 2002 12:29:12 AM

Recent benches on Anand have not shown the Athlon in the light anymore at Photoshop. But maybe that's due to SSE2 opt, or that they aren't using the proper example benchmark. I find it weird the P4 would win against a full 3-FPU processor, EVEN if it doesn't use SSE2 but is around 700MHZ above.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
June 25, 2002 4:34:45 PM

Quote:
<i>lhgpooba says:</i>
but does photoshop have SSE2?

I believe they added SSE2 with v6 and improved it in v7.

Quote:
<i>Eden says:</i>
Recent benches on Anand have not shown the Athlon in the light anymore at Photoshop.

You sure you're not thinking of the After Effects benchmarks?

If we want to run some tests, I'd be happy to do so on my OCed P4. We'd need someone else with an Athlon XP to do the same thing. I've got Photoshop 6.
<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 06/25/02 09:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 25, 2002 6:35:03 PM

That's why I mentioned that the benches were probably not the right ones, and that any Photoshop benches that show the FPU in action, I'd like to see.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
!