Sign in with
Your question

Urgent help with Duron 1.1 and KT266 Chipset

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2002 2:26:23 PM

Please help. This is what happened. I purchased all the part to this new computer. Basically a 320watt power supply (p4 compatible). A duron 1.2 GHz CPU and a Jetway motherboard based on the via kt266 chipset.

Anyways I put the machine together and I try and boot and nothing happens. I played around with it all night but couldn't get the thing to go. I took it back to the store and the tech and I had a look at it. We tried a 1.3 GHz duron only to have that one do the same thing. We then tried a Duon800 and it booted up! So we were like WTF? Then we tried an XP1800 and that also booted up! I didn't have the money for the XP and I didn't want an 800, so I went to a different store and bough a 1.1 GHz duron.

Now this is where I'm scared... I installed the Duron 1.1 and it booted up, I tried to enter the bios, I just tapped the del key (A couple of times because nothing came up at the start) and then the computer turned off (well not entirely the fans were still running but nothing on the screen) ... and it kind of smelt like something had burned inside the computer. I then checked the CPU and that’s where it smelt like something had burned. Now the computer is doing the same thing as the 1.2 and 1.3 the power is turned on because the fans spin. But that’s it.

Please if anyone knows what’s going on? Please give me some advice, it's real urgent. This computer is for a friend who is leaving the state in a few days, and the store where I bought the 1.1 from said I had to return it tomorrow if I wanted a refund...

I'm really scared that I may have shorted the CPU, but I don't see how it's possible. I did set the computer up on carpet so perhaps it's a static thing? But it was inside a case and not resting on anything other then case. Also all the cables were cleared out of the way, so still I'm left questioning?

BTW The motherboard has a couple of jumper adjustable; this is what I've set them to.
Ratio: 11x
FSB: 100mhz (Default and it’s adjustable within the bios)
Power on keyboard: I took out this jumper because I needed it elsewhere. I don't think this jumper can affect me much (can it?).

Something’s just occurred to me. Perhaps this motherboard is short circuiting the newer Duron only (Morgan core)? Why? I HAVE NO IDEA. We tried the 1.2 and 1.3 in different motherboards but they didn't work either (but this was after we had tried them on this motherboard). But why only the new durons? The XP and slower 800 worked fine. Please someone help me... This is urgent...

Sorry about the long post.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
-Andrew
June 25, 2002 6:20:57 PM

Quote:
and it kind of smelt like something had burned inside the computer. I then checked the CPU and that’s where it smelt like something had burned.

Sounds like the CPU fried due to overheating. Did you mount the heatsink properly? Retail heatsink I assume?

Ritesh
June 26, 2002 12:13:50 AM

Quote:
I'm really scared that I may have shorted the CPU, but I don't see how it's possible. I did set the computer up on carpet so perhaps it's a static thing? But it was inside a case and not resting on anything other then case. Also all the cables were cleared out of the way, so still I'm left questioning?

Imo, that was a really bad idea to put it on a carpet, it might have killed it with static. Did you remember to drain the static from your hands by touching the computer case?

Quote:

A duron 1.2 GHz CPU and a Jetway motherboard based on the via kt266 chipset.

We tried a 1.3 GHz duron only to have that one do the same thing

Now the computer is doing the same thing as the 1.2 and 1.3 the power is turned on because the fans spin. But that’s it.

It sounds like you may have killed both the 1.2 and 1.3 Duron in the jetway mobo, then moved the dead CPU's to better mobos. Here's the proof.

Quote:
We tried the 1.2 and 1.3 in different motherboards but they didn't work either (but this was after we had tried them on this motherboard).

Strangely enough, the jetway mobo may be a Duron Morgan killer. I think your motherboard survived, but it doesn't seem to like the Morgan core. If the 800 Duron is too slow, for a little more than the 1.3 Duron, you can get an AXP 1500+ for about $5-10 more.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
Related resources
June 26, 2002 12:17:14 AM

Yup heatsink and fan on at all times.

IMO The motherboard is overpowering the CPU. That is why the new duron's wont work, that is why the old durons do and that is why the XP's do. Furthermore it could explain the smell and also why the new duron's failed to boot in the other 2 motherboads we tested them in! One being an ASUS based on the KT266A chipset the other a Gigabyte!

Therefore I believe I deserve to be copensated from "Jetway" as they claim in the manual and on their website that they support Duron's all the way up to the new 1.3, and have what seems very likely "fried" 3 cpu's!!

BTW The voltage is adjustable only tru BIOS, but since the computer wont get to a post screen, well I can't adjust it.
June 26, 2002 12:23:20 AM

Was the voltage autodetected at the levels of a Duron Morgan or Spitfire, or even an Athlon T-bird or Athlon Palamino. You should check the manual, and compare BIOS or jumper settings. If you installed the fan correctly, it shouldn't have killed the CPU, just overheated and caused instabilities. Something isn't right here, the Duron Morgan runs at <i> higher </i> voltage the Duron Spitfire, not less. If anything, you couldn't have fried it, unless (very unlikely) it was being pumped 1.85 volts, which I doubt would overheat with a cooler and HSF attached correctly.

June 26, 2002 12:25:09 AM

Quetzacoatl: Thank you for your post, my resoning is the same as yours now, but the 1.3 was assembled on a desk, so static can't be at fault here, and yes I did earth myself before I touched.

The post above this, is what I really think is happening...
June 26, 2002 12:28:41 AM

I didn't get a chance to see it when I saw the post screen for the 1.1, it lasted only about 5 seconds, then died.

There are no voltage adjustable on the motherboard. Only within the BIOS. The heatsink and fan were both attached corectly, however I didn't add any thermal paste, I was going to do that last when I was sure everything was running ok.

Without the thermal paste, could I do that much damage. I remember there was thermal paste on the 1.3 duron I tested.
June 26, 2002 12:29:01 AM

Quote:
IMO The motherboard is overpowering the CPU. That is why the new duron's wont work, that is why the old durons do and that is why the XP's do

That can't be right, if you were overpowering the CPU, it will kill the older Duron's, which take less voltage. The Duron Morgans and Palaminos take more voltage, on par with the Thunderbird. Strangely, you didn't kill the 800 Spitfire.

Quote:
Furthermore it could explain the smell and also why the new duron's failed to boot in the other 2 motherboads we tested them in

*shrugs* well, that would make sense, if you killed the Duron Morgans in the jetway, they won't work in other motherboards

June 26, 2002 12:31:45 AM

Thermal paste is only going to lower the temperature a few degrees centigrade effectively. *Some* thermal pastes conduct electricity, but I doubt you shorted out anything on the CPU. Might as well check to see if you have anyway of the electronic pathways on the top bridged with thermal paste. You do know that you are only supposed to put a thin layer on the die, right?

June 26, 2002 12:32:21 AM

How sure are you that the older Durons ran at a lower voltage then the newer one? Or XP's for that matter.

I remember reading it was the otherway round, that is, the duron's ran at I think 1.7 or 1.6 and the XP's and older durons at 1.8. Also this would be the motherboard fault because it wasn't able to detect the duron.
June 26, 2002 1:25:20 AM

I didn't add any thermal paste, I was going to add some when I knew everything was running ok.

And yes, I know how to apply it, not that it matters right now.
June 26, 2002 2:21:33 AM

So the heatsink was without a thermal pad and no paste. That could easily have caused a burn.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 26, 2002 10:49:18 AM

How can you install a heatsink wrong?

I installed it 1st, the CPU didn't go no matter what. Then he installed the 1.3 with a lil thermal paste as well. The EXACT same thing happened.

We then tried an AthlonXP 1800 which worked fine, as did the Duron800. Both of the above were installed by him. BTW we both installed out heatsink/fan's the sameway.

At the time, my thinkning was... 2 faulty Durons then I went and bought a new Duron 1.1 GHz installed it the same way as the above 3, only to have this Duron 1.1 GHz do the same thing as the 1.2 and 1.3. So my belief is this motherboard has problems with the new Morgan core.

I think it has a problem detecing the new Morgan core Duron's and adjusting the voltage accordingly. I.E. The voltage is too high, that is why the old Duron and new XP's work, because they require the higher voltage.

Oh and before anyone asks the only way to change the voltage is tru the BIOS, which I can not enter for obvious reasons. There is no jumper to change the voltage. There is a jumper to reset the CMOS which we did multiple times.
June 26, 2002 11:08:23 AM

Quote:
How can you install a heatsink wrong?

Easy, keep putting it on different processors without any damn thermal interface material, its there for a reason and putting a hsf on without it can EASILY cause a core fry.

Quote:
We then tried an AthlonXP 1800 which worked fine, as did the Duron800. Both of the above were installed by him. BTW we both installed out heatsink/fan's the sameway

1) it dosent always cause a core fry, each cpu would seat differently.
2) did he use the same heatsink for both cpus?

Quote:
At the time, my thinkning was... 2 faulty Durons then I went and bought a new Duron 1.1 GHz installed it the same way as the above 3, only to have this Duron 1.1 GHz do the same thing as the 1.2 and 1.3. So my belief is this motherboard has problems with the new Morgan core.

1) did you use the same heatsink for all of those processors
2) did you use thermal goop each time, or at all?

I hate to break it to you, but the difference in voltage from morgan to non and xp is not enough to even come close to frying a core, you have to get well over 2 volts before you can fry a core, and any voltage sufficient to fry 1 chip coming from your mobo would be enough to fry any .18 micron chip.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 26, 2002 2:10:23 PM

Quote:
I didn't add any thermal paste...

Ah...and why not? Well, there's your problem. The heatsink cannot make effective contact with the core without some thermally conductive medium in between. You *must* apply it.

Ritesh

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ritesh_laud on 06/26/02 09:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 13, 2002 6:37:43 PM

had simular problem lately! fried a 1.2 Duron because the cooler was not good enough (although it was certified up to 1.4ghz) I had the Duron on for about 15 minutes for checking bios setting ... after restart nothing! checked it out with the shop ! result : Burned!

DurDur
July 13, 2002 8:25:49 PM

Well I figured out what my problem was. It was the motherboard, faulty as I suspected. It was the board frying the CPU's and not the cooling at fault. I returned the mobo and CPU for new ones and now it works. Anyways, I've learnt my lesson, stay away from Jetway motherboards :p 
July 13, 2002 8:52:05 PM

BTW I should also mention, too many of you seem obsessed with heatsink and fans and what not.

This computer was not going to be overclocked. I believe the heatsink and fan was more then sufficient. The thermal paste does help, but not to the point, where without it the CPU will burn.

P.S. The new board and cpu works and I did add thermal paste.
!