efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
I was looking on alienware.com and customizing a system, i wound up with an xp 2200, gf4 ti4600, 512 ddr ram. i want to know if those components work well together. If they dont work that well i would like to know the best components that do.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
They sure do, but you may as well be throwing out your money. Build a computer yourself for quite a bit less.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
I dontknow how to connect the mobo so like the cdrw/dvd, install processor, install os. and i dont want to risk screwing something up.

Phob

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
ask a friend to either do it for you or teach you (im also a n00b, so ill do the same heheh), it aint rocket science man

efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
k wut if i mess something up, then i just lost money. i dont have a job im not of age yet, so sorry for being concerned

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
*groans* look buddy, how do you think we learned to build computers? You have to start somewhere...Open the boxes, read the manuals, look at the perty pictures, then assemble the thing. Just go slowly, check every step, and make sure you don't force any part together...excessive forcing is BAD

"When there's a will, there's a way."

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
did you only look at alienware? or did you look around at the other big gaming companies such as VoodooPC and Falcon NorthWest?

Prices are prices, but performance wise, the VoodooPC and Falcon Northwest PCs almost always top Alienware.....this is how it usually goes.....

1. Falcon Northwest
2. VoodooPC
3. Alienware

Prices usually are this, 1. being the lowest

1. Alienware/Falcon Northwest
2. Falcon Northwest
3. VoodooPC

How much did you spend? Did you get raid? Did someone say that the speed between a single drive and a 2 drive raid array were very close?

Price around, or build your own.

But if you have money to burn, look around and my personal pick would be a MachV, a talon from Falcon Northwest....

MeldarthX

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey I don't have a steady income either cause I'm not old enough to work full-time and I'm gonna build my comp soon maybe. I have about $1500 and my parents will give me another $1000. Canadian dollar mind you. I'm still collecting more money and I'll probably be able to have a $2000USD computer soon. I probably won't be needing a new monitor cause I've got 3 already. (2 19" Trinitrons and a 17") Hopefully I'll be able to get a Hammer or Prescott computer for that price.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Learn how to build your own, someone is always willing to answer a question and you'll save big dough. Assembling is easier then you think. If you can install a game you can install an OS.

HULK SMASH!!!

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
and you'll save big dough.
In my experience it's usually *more* expensive to build a computer yourself. But the pre-built computers usually come with at least one or two sub-optimal parts (i.e. crappy chipset, slow video card, etc). So I still prefer spending a bit more but doing it my way.

Ritesh

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi efript.

I understand you, but maybe there is a 3th way. First, buy the components at some reliable on-line store. Don't worry about config or store. Here you can ask about and people will help you a lot, and also will learn about what is going on on the computer world.

Second, if I am not wrong, there are some places where tech's build for a reasonable fee your computer. They know what they do, and you can learn the way to do it, so another day can do it by yourself. And also, I'm sure you will save some money.

Good luck!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
1. If you are buying from Vodoo, or Alien, Falcon NW it is cheaper to build yourself.

2. If you are buying from Dell, HPQ, Gateway. You are screwed because you can't even put the same equipment in the system. You can't pick the mobo, the PSU, the Case, the keyboard, the mouse; the brand of RAM, video card, and in some cases sound card. If you were to build the equivalent system they sell you it will undoubtedly be cheaper unless they use equipment that they have exclusive large purchase contracts for. And they usually get those types of contracts on crap equipment that I wouldn't piss on if it were on fire.

HULK SMASH!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
In my experience it's usually *more* expensive to build a computer yourself. But the pre-built computers usually come with at least one or two sub-optimal parts (i.e. crappy chipset, slow video card, etc). So I still prefer spending a bit more but doing it my way.

When you build a system which is identical to the prebuilt one it is always cheaper.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm a system builder, I'll build you the system of your choice for $100 over cost, and help you with your decisions.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>