I wanna hear it AGAIN - Everyone reply

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Hello all

Im sure the subject is archived, it might even be a few pages back, but I would like to start again.

AMD vs Intel

I would like too read everyone's opinion on the AMD vs Intel when it comes to:

1.) Overclocking
2.) Non-Overclocking
3.) Gaming
4.) Stability (when OC'ing and not OC'ing)

All opinions are welcome. So lets here all the rants and all the arguements. :)

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
ill keep my opinion short...

1- Overclocking
Intel is best

2- Non-overclocking
AMD is best

3- Gaming
Both are equally good

4- Stability
Both are equally stable (the only reason AMD <b>MAY NOT</b> be stable is because of VIA's POS $hitsets...

:eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek:

EDIT: may not not...double negative...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pr497 on 06/25/02 01:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HoStYlEz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
ive dealt with intel for too long and i think those chips are $hit. AMD would be mine no matter what. At least they dont lock the multiplier

Whoever said breakfast is the most important meal of the day obviously hasn't had a good nooner.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
overclocking: intel
nonoverclocking value: amd
nonoverclocking pure speed (as of now): intel
gaming (as of now): intel
stability:hmmmmm amds are usually stabled if configured properly so ill go with tie.

who cares .. buy what you want ... just via tends to be crappy ... and i'm not having any luck with my gigabyte board ... so you may wanna re-evaluate them too...
it won't detect my hard drives in DMA mode .. it's currecntly in PIO 4 mode on the promise controller. which sucks! heh...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
1.) Via C3
2.) 086
3.) Cyrix
4.) Coppermine P3-1133 or original pentium.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
At lease someone agreed that via is crappy.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
amds are usually stabled if configured properly
I always love hearing that. (Not to knock AMD or anyone else either, because that would be completely unrelated and beyond my point.) I'm just saying that such disclaimers always make me laugh. Stable 'if configured properly'. Gee, how hard is it for <i>anything</i> to be stable when running on a hand-picked platform? If it wasn't even stable then, then it'd be a real PoS, wouldn't it? Heh heh heh.

Change 'when configured properly' to 'when random parts are tossed into the system' and then re-ask the question: Which is more stable? Now it applies to real-world, not happy-fluffy-bunny-dream-world where every computer user is educated enough to hand pick all of their parts. After all, despite the fact that we're that educated, we have all probably dealt at least once with 'helping' a friend/family member/acquaintance/etc. who isn't.

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.

eden

Champion
Lemme ask you, have you built a recent AMD system, with any latest VIA or SiS chipset?

I'd like to know who has recently done one and had stability problems.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Me? Hell no. I wouldn't touch a VIA motherboard with a ten foot pole! (But then again, who would? Using your hands would make it a lot easier to work with...)

Seriously though, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. As I said, I just love hearing disclaimers that people put onto things as though the disclaimer suddenly makes everything all right.

Like those experimental drug skin care adds where they say not to expose yourself to direct sunlight. **L** Just how many people do they expect to avoid all direct exposure to sunlight?

Disclaimers are just another source of humor for me.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Change 'when configured properly' to 'when random parts are tossed into the system' and then re-ask the question: Which is more stable? Now it applies to real-world, not happy-fluffy-bunny-dream-world where every computer user is educated enough to hand pick all of their parts. After all, despite the fact that we're that educated, we have all probably dealt at least once with 'helping' a friend/family member/acquaintance/etc. who isn't.
The amd would be just as stable, and anyone who disagrees is a intel fanboy, the stability issues of amd chipsets have LONG PAST, none of the new via chipsets are unstable and there is a plethora of other chipsets all of which are stable.

If you want to hold amd systems liable for via mistakes from 2 years ago, you go ahead, but the false claim intel systems are more stable than amd systems today is laughable.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
KT266 wasn't replaced with the 266A until like a year ago. What pisses me off about the problems I've had with VIA chipsets up to the KT266 is that for years VIA denied any responsibility. As for the KT266A and KT333, no, I haven't had any. Will I ever buy a VIA chipset board? Maybe after most of the company is under new people.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
KT266 wasn't replaced with the 266A until like a year ago.

The kt266 wasnt buggy it was slow, the a was a SPEED replacement totally.

What pisses me off about the problems I've had with VIA chipsets up to the KT266 is that for years VIA denied any responsibility

While I tend to agree, the blame is not soley on via, many of the sb live problems came from creative not following pci access specs properly.

Many via issues are a combination of causes.

Will I ever buy a VIA chipset board? Maybe after most of the company is under new people.

You will never buy via again, and thats fine, I have no problem with people judging via unacceptable, but when people bash them or claim their CURRENT chipsets suck, I must disagree, and when I disagree many posts ensue ;-)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i have. i quite like my epox 8k3a+... but u allready knew that :smile:

fast and stable right outta the box, with a new os with no drivers or bios flashes and nill tweaks.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

G

i like my CURRENT chipset (kt133a). no stability issues nor overclocking problems. i like via & am wonderind to go straightly with the kt333 or to wait the kt400. i don't think i can hold back a long face of the abit KX7-333R. he

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>

G

but this could be recognized such as spamming. hehe.

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One thing I am notice on computer tech rooms. More and more intel chips are having trouble. But like Amd its frist time builders. And Intel being bigger.

You get stuff oh I was to format the hard drive?
and junk like I have to reinstall windows to get the sse and sse2. And watching people with video card problems. One guy last night was going I have a Intel p4 1.7 Yet I can t get the gf3 working. With the new drivers. I tried telling him to go to the maker of the card and get there drivers.

One I have not seen yet was the VIA chip with Soundblaster problems.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What really bugged me about VIA was that they couldn't write Win2K mobo drivers to save their life. I had a system that had severe stability issues because it had a Matrox AGP video card that also used main system RAM. Win2K was a company requirement. That particular Matrox card was a software requirement (at the time at least), as was running it in a mode that used system memory. So I couldn't do anything to fix the frequent lock ups.

Yet VIA kept claiming that it wasn't their fault, and at the same time, (supposedly) ASUS customer service kept telling my OEM that each of VIA's latest driver revisions would actually fix the problem. (At least, that's what the local OEM relayed to me from them.) Yet it still took four months to actually <i>fix</i> the drivers.

Normally I wouldn't have even put up with that crap, but at the time software development was under an extreme rush at work, and I couldn't afford a week of downtime to ship the system back and have the mobo replaced. That and the company wouldn't let me replace it myself because that would void the waranty.

Damn rocks and hard places.

I'm sure that it was the Win2K drivers though, because it was one of the many VIA driver revisions that finally fixed the problem.

My experience has been that VIA and Matrox both just royally suck at firmware development. I try to avoid them as much as humanly possible now. Not because I don't believe that their new products are better, but simply because there are plenty more fish in the sea to it not crimp my options any to boycott them for their past stupidity.

So I'm with you Crashman. VIA can go suck a lemon for all I care.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember when SiS had bad stability problems a couple years back? They were honest with me, so I gave them another chance. I refuse to tolerate dishonesty in tech support, at least at the level of dishonesty that VIA had! If Intel were VIA they would have kept producing PIII 1.13GHz Coppermines and i820 SDRAM motherboards and blamed everybody else's parts for the problems! But Intel admitted their problems, published the data, and pulled the parts to a large extent from the market. SiS didn't recall the parts, but at least by admitting the problems they let people know that stability would be the price of using cheap parts, warning high end users to stay away. Now SiS makes some of the best chipsets in the market, and Intel has saved the loyalty of their customers.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. VIA is just a very unlikable company. Intel and SiS can at least admit their mistakes. VIA just blames everyone else and then goes and proves that it was them with an eventual driver update or a hardware revision. But it was never VIA's fault. No.

(If Sienfeld had a Motherboard Nazi...) No replacement for you!