Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
I´ve been offered a 1400MHz Thunderbird (266FSB) for 52$. I´m wondering how it will perform against an Athlon XP 1600+.

Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
The XP costs 73$. I know it has new features built-in, but is it worth the extra 21$, or is the Thunderbird the best deal?

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
The XP would be better and worth the extra $21 in my opinion.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

FatBurger

Illustrious
There are two main differences between the Thunderbird and Palomino cores. The first is that you'll be able to overclock the Palomino farther than the Thunderbird. The other is that the Palomino has SSE. It depends on whether you'll be overclocking and what programs you use.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
don't forgrt the added prefetch logic and some change to the TLBs I dont remember....

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes. go the XP.

more performance for the same speed thanx to SSE (with certain apps) and the hardware enhancments.

the XP will also run with approx 20% lower thermal output.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Sure some apps will be heavily influenced by sse, but prefetch is working all of the time, based on that fact alone I would give it a higher benifit rating than the sse support.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
based on that fact alone I would give it a higher benifit rating than the sse support.

And data prefetch works better on some applications than others. The Athlon's data prefetch also doesn't make as much of a difference as the P4s, for reasons I've given before.

I'd definitely say SSE makes a bigger difference.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And data prefetch works better on some applications than others. The Athlon's data prefetch also doesn't make as much of a difference as the P4s, for reasons I've given before.

I'd definitely say SSE makes a bigger difference.

Thats your right to have a differing oppinion, I only point out that while some apps benifit more from prefetch, ALL APPS benifit from it, while many apps dont even have sse at all.

I chime in once more for prefetch.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
So you'd rather have a technology that helps 1% in all applications, rather than one that gives a 300% boost in 99% of apps?
I can guarantee you that a lot less than 99% of apps have SSE. :wink:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And I can guarentee you that the apps which do have sse dont give you 300% benifits from using it.

And hardware prefetch helps more than 1%.